Dynadot

Just sold my first domain at Afternic.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ali

Top Member
Starfire Holdings
Impact
So, in my latest video I talked about uploading everything into Afternic, and pointing all my domains to their relative Afternic buy it now pages.

Well, I just sold my first domain through this method.

I will reveal the information once the deal is finalized ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
to everyone who's mentioned creating their own "marketplace" aren't there already "ready made" solutions for this online like WP templates to create your own Marketplace? I've looked into this it's cheap looks simple. how come no one seems to mention it here. just wanted to know before I "jumped in" to buy such templates. and also. why no mention of Efty.com? Thought about them too. looks good and looks cheap enough. and easy? I'm hesitating to jump in on that too until reading responses here and reading more.

also. This Afternic technique Ali is mentioning. I wonder if it's possible to "double dip"? meaning I see professional domainers basically listing their domains on ALL that marketplaces. I know it's possible by simply making sure that you slap on a Make offer price on thee other usual marketplaces (godaddy sedo flippa) but what if you factor this Afternic technique? will it complicate things? will there be "extra" work to do? because from what I'm seeing here in this technique. It's advised here to slap a BUY NOW Price.

I guess the question to ask here is:

Buy Now vs. Make Offer vs. Auction which is best? or Must we choose?

is there a way to get the best of both worlds? meaning use them all in conjunction with each other?

Scenario

numeric domain: 09998880.com (mine) I want max exposure. Do Chinese check out Afternic listings? Sedo? Godaddy? Flippa?

would it be overkill to list this on all the options? or just stick to one? Factor in about 200 domains I want to liquidate immediately. should I just slap a buy now price? or make offer or pay for auction?

I really like this Afternic technique. I had my domains on Afternic for a while and NOTHING. no action. maybe my domains were just crap or maybe because I didn't put a Buy Now Price?

I've really procrastinated on putting Buy Now Price because well I really have no idea what to price my domains. I'm no expert at pricing as I think most newbie domainers are too I bet.

The biggest fear is of course undervaluing your domain. But then again if a domain just sites the renewal feels will kill you and eventually you will have to let your domain good. so better off to let go for couple of hundred and move on.

Greed is of course a huge factor when coming up with a price. so how do you guys come up with your BIN prices?

by the way Congratulations ZandiBot on your sale. and thanks for sharing here. when are we going to find out what this domain was that you sold? lol Thanks in advance for anyone who responds to this long post. Apologies.

•••
LOL

How many domains have you uploaded to Afternic so far, Ali?

I've been doing the same. With my names that are not eligible for fast-transfer, I'm changing nameservers to Bodis and utilizing the Escrow.com lander with BIN.

I've uploaded around 3,000, but most of those are Chinese domains, so I don't expect Afternic sales on them. There are around 200 or so that aren't Chinese domains which I've uploaded already, that number will increase drastically should the next few months prove this method a wise one. We shall see!

That is truly the key indeed.

Per your afternic recommendation I am going to pick 100 domains and try 50% afternic BIN and for the other half 50% in-house BIN with PP and outreach. Keeping the BIN prices attractive.

I've been burning the midnight oil on dev for a private 'marketplace' over the last week, and working on landing pages that would funnel a visitor from interest to purchase.

Hopefully some of these strategies will increase sale turnaround time.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Definitely looking forward to hearing your results on this! I will continue to provide updates, negative or positive experiences with this method.

Interesting, especially having just read some of the terrible Afternic reviews here on NP. I will have to check out your last vid.

I've been parking everything at EFTY. I like the direct communication with the lead.

Yea, I prefer to use things for myself and draw my own conclusions :) How does the saying go? One mans trash is another mans treasure? lol

Congrats on the sale. Can't wait to see what the domain was. I'm guessing it was a hand reg. and a quick flip for about $500.

Solid guess, it's almost like you already know ;)

It was a high $xxx sale on a hand-reg from the end of last year. So nothing to write home about, however, it was the easiest sale I've ever had.

Money is in Afternic Escrow, and deal practically closed, so I will reveal more information soon, including pricing. I've been trying out different price points and hopefully I'll gather enough data this year to speak on it more thoroughly next year.

#TheHuntForTheMostScalableAndProfitableModelAndLongestHashtagEver

•••
So, in my latest video I talked about uploading everything into Afternic, and pointing all my domains to their relative Afternic buy it now pages.

Great job broski!

•••
This Afternic technique Ali is mentioning. I wonder if it's possible to "double dip"? meaning I see professional domainers basically listing their domains on ALL that marketplaces. I know it's possible by simply making sure that you slap on a Make offer price on thee other usual marketplaces (godaddy sedo flippa) but what if you factor this Afternic technique? will it complicate things? will there be "extra" work to do? because from what I'm seeing here in this technique. It's advised here to slap a BUY NOW Price.

Double dip all you wanna playa! Just make sure your pricing game is ON POINT across the board. So if you have a $10,000 BIN at Afternic with a $1,000 minimum offer, make sure you have it at the other marketplaces with a $1,000 minimum offer. I highly advise against having multiple BIN locations, only one should suffice, and that one should be where you get the most exposure.

Buy Now vs. Make Offer vs. Auction which is best? or Must we choose?
No way, diversify and see what works best. Right now, for me, Buy Now and Auctions work. Next year, I could be all about leasing my stuff! Who knows, data and time will tell.

I really like this Afternic technique. I had my domains on Afternic for a while and NOTHING. no action. maybe my domains were just crap or maybe because I didn't put a Buy Now Price?
Good point, this method is likely not going to work for every domain. Perhaps it will only work for domains with a clear commercial use like WeddingPlanner.com, vs. something like a 6L brandable like Zovani(.)com or something. No idea, I've put a blend different names on Afternic to see what actually sells.

Greed is of course a huge factor when coming up with a price. so how do you guys come up with your BIN prices?

by the way Congratulations ZandiBot on your sale. and thanks for sharing here. when are we going to find out what this domain was that you sold? lol Thanks in advance for anyone who responds to this long post. Apologies.

Yup, I will tell you the domain once deal is closed ;)

•••
Just make sure your pricing game is ON POINT across the board. So if you have a $10,000 BIN at Afternic with a $1,000 minimum offer, make sure you have it at the other marketplaces with a $1,000 minimum offer.
Can't remember where, but I read once someone suggesting slightly different pricing across the market places, with the one with most exposure at the lowest and desired price. People see the higher prices and then the lower one which encourages them to buy as they think it's a bargain price.

I'm all for psychological marketing tactics (it can have advantages), but I think this would make you smell unprofessional, like you don't know what your pricing is.

What do you think? It's an interesting idea, and I can see why it could work in some cases, although I think mostly people buy what they want to buy etc, pushy sales is not generally successful these days.

[ Looking forward to knowing the domain from your sale too :) ]

•••
The problem with varying pricing across platforms is this:

End user might get confused, start looking further for cheaper venue, then also start thinking is this good price, is this good name etc. and end up either not buying anything or going for another name.

•••
Can't remember where, but I read once someone suggesting slightly different pricing across the market places, with the one with most exposure at the lowest and desired price. People see the higher prices and then the lower one which encourages them to buy as they think it's a bargain price.

I'm all for psychological marketing tactics (it can have advantages), but I think this would make you smell unprofessional, like you don't know what your pricing is.

What do you think? It's an interesting idea, and I can see why it could work in some cases, although I think mostly people buy what they want to buy etc, pushy sales is not generally successful these days.

[ Looking forward to knowing the domain from your sale too :) ]

End user might get confused, start looking further for cheaper venue, then also start thinking is this good price, is this good name etc. and end up either not buying anything or going for another name.

Well said. I prefer to have identical pricing. I never want the buyer to feel scared, confused, or perhaps even "need to think about it". If it's uniform across the board, I don't give them reason to walk away or think it through. The more questions they have, the less likely they will buy.

•••

Right, or end up wondering why it's priced differently on different platforms. BUT if they do chose to buy, obviously they'll select the venue that has the lowest price, meaning you could leave money on the table (Unless you're setting different prices at different venues for a strategy play, to test or adapt to a specific marketplace, then I can understand).

•••
•••
Only had 1 inquiry on Afternic and it was after I sold a domain on Flippa. :)

•••
Thanks! Not a large sale, but it proves the system does indeed work. Especially when I tell you the domain.

oh I see.. so its about the system.. not the domain ;)

I was about to comment that quality always sells. no matter the system hehe

•••
I'm going to give it a try as well, especially that Afternic is finally available in Ukraine after a long time :)
Ukrainian IP-ranges were banned there...
This issue is already solved after my report.

•••
oh I see.. so its about the system.. not the domain ;)

I was about to comment that quality always sells. no matter the system hehe

Haha! Well yea! It's about both. But don't forget pricing, either! If I had added on extra zero, this thread might not exist yet. I made it very affordable, and it worked. Good domain, good system, good price :)

•••
•••
•••
I'm sure Afternic is getting an influx of listings now. Did they pay you for this? ;) j/k

I actually have been thinking of doing this myself and I see where your logic behind it is. The direct toll-free number, on-call broker, (and they sound good, I've spoken with a couple before), and the company being under the GoDaddy umbrella really does add some confidence/professionalism to whole idea of purchasing the domain.

Aren't they selling Marchex/Berkens portfolio via Afternic? It seems to be working for them so I think if pricing is on point and domains have quality, people should experience good results. Thanks for sharing the sale.

•••
I only use Afternic and Sedo periodically to remove my domains that are listed by another users...

•••
and the company being under the GoDaddy umbrella

I only wish Afternic was making it more obvious that they are now a GoDaddy company. If you look at their landers, there's no mention of GoDaddy. Why would they not be tapping into the mind-share/comfort that GoDaddy has as being probably the only household name registrar in the US at least??

They should at least put "a GoDaddy company" underneath the Afternic logo. That would have to increase conversions.

IMHO...

•••
Afternic would be able to double their sales, if they made their site more user friendly.

These awful names have been stuck in "premium" and "trending" for years (see screen). Sometimes I want to buy them just to get rid of them and stop their suffering.

@Joe Styler , can't a company of GD size come up with userfriendly interface similar to BrandBucket.com really promoting stuff that have chance of selling?

afternic.JPG

•••
sued.com is def a premium domain

doubble meaning

means "south " in german

nice travel domain

•••
•••
•••

Congrats.
I have many success sales there.
Note: you will receive your payment from Godaddy, not Afternic.

•••
Congrats on your sale :)

Why don't you park with bodis and forward to escrow.com landing page with BIN price? It helps you to cut the broker commission. JMO.

•••
I think the idea is to use a trusted network to reduce misstrust and gain more exposure due to their vast reach

and happily pay them for that added value

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back