Domain Empire

Just sold my first domain at Afternic.

NameSilo
Watch

Ali

Top Member
Starfire Holdings
Impact
So, in my latest video I talked about uploading everything into Afternic, and pointing all my domains to their relative Afternic buy it now pages.

Well, I just sold my first domain through this method.

I will reveal the information once the deal is finalized ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've uploaded around 3,000, but most of those are Chinese domains, so I don't expect Afternic sales on them. There are around 200 or so that aren't Chinese domains which I've uploaded already, that number will increase drastically should the next few months prove this method a wise one. We shall see!

At one point I thought Afternick was just waste of time. I have had made some "Buy it not" purchases in the past, which were just domains posted for sale by scammers or unrightfully owners.
Anyway good luck, hope I was wrong about them.

•••
Godaddy owning Afternic has certainly increased the number of eyeballs that see your domain. This makes them a worthy competitor to Sedo's MLS.

However, also be aware that your Afternic's Buy Now listings will appear on Godaddy auctions with a "minimum offer" of 65% of that Buy Now price.

So, if you list a domain with only a Afternic Buy Now of $2495, the domain will appear on Godaddy auctions with a minimum offer of $1622.

I have contacted my Godaddy account rep about this but I was told that the process is automatic.

•••
Afternic would be able to double their sales, if they made their site more user friendly.

These awful names have been stuck in "premium" and "trending" for years (see screen). Sometimes I want to buy them just to get rid of them and stop their suffering.

@Joe Styler , can't a company of GD size come up with userfriendly interface similar to BrandBucket.com really promoting stuff that have chance of selling?

Show attachment 26869
Perhaps, but we have many things to work on and only so much time and development staff. We did not see many names selling on the afternic.com site via this channel when it was actively worked on and rotated, the power is in the distribution network, having your names show up in the search results at network solutions, tucows, godaddy, etc are where many sales happen. Sales lander pages that show your name is for sale and go to an Afternic domain broker via phone or email are also an important sales channel. So make sure your domains are showing that they are for sale and have a way for interested buyers to contact you like through our parked landing page. We like to focus our efforts on where the biggest returns happen for our customers and continue to expand them. We have some exciting things coming for Afternic sellers this year that are in the works now.
Having said that the update you talk about is noted and in our backlog and can be addressed at some time in the future, but likely by being replaced with something that works better to drive sales and not updated with newer names.

•••
Perhaps, but we have many things to work on and only so much time and development staff. We did not see many names selling on the afternic.com site via this channel when it was actively worked on and rotated, the power is in the distribution network, having your names show up in the search results at network solutions, tucows, godaddy, etc are where many sales happen. Sales lander pages that show your name is for sale and go to an Afternic domain broker via phone or email are also an important sales channel. So make sure your domains are showing that they are for sale and have a way for interested buyers to contact you like through our parked landing page. We like to focus our efforts on where the biggest returns happen for our customers and continue to expand them. We have some exciting things coming for Afternic sellers this year that are in the works now.
Having said that the update you talk about is noted and in our backlog and can be addressed at some time in the future, but likely by being replaced with something that works better to drive sales and not updated with newer names.

So your solution was just to freeze the rotation? Do you realize the impression it gives to a person that re-visits your site in a months? What is so special about nvc.org or moon.info that they have trending for few years now? How do they trend exactly? Have they peaked yet?

How about also implementing good search filters? I have tried to search for names with few criteria to narrow down things and it is impossible. All you can do is enter the term and choose extension. No options to provide character length, exclude numbers, dashes, exclude make offers, sort by price etc.

•••
I'm sure Afternic is getting an influx of listings now. Did they pay you for this? ;) j/k

lol! Maybe I should submit an invoice ;)

Godaddy owning Afternic has certainly increased the number of eyeballs that see your domain. This makes them a worthy competitor to Sedo's MLS.

However, also be aware that your Afternic's Buy Now listings will appear on Godaddy auctions with a "minimum offer" of 65% of that Buy Now price.

So, if you list a domain with only a Afternic Buy Now of $2495, the domain will appear on Godaddy auctions with a minimum offer of $1622.

I have contacted my Godaddy account rep about this but I was told that the process is automatic.

Ha! I just checked this! What is the point of setting a minimum offer then? GoDaddy/Afternic, let's umm... fix this? No?

•••
So your solution was just to freeze the rotation? Do you realize the impression it gives to a person that re-visits your site in a months? What is so special about nvc.org or moon.info that they have trending for few years now? How do they trend exactly? Have they peaked yet?

How about also implementing good search filters? I have tried to search for names with few criteria to narrow down things and it is impossible. All you can do is enter the term and choose extension. No options to provide character length, exclude numbers, dashes, exclude make offers, sort by price etc.
That is a good suggestion. I will send that up to the developers.

•••
That is a good suggestion. I will send that up to the developers.

Thank you! Can your developers also improve my GD control panel to allow to search for domains based on
a) their length
b) by the time they were acquired/moved to GD (this way I know which names I haven't made changes to in regards to forwarding/nameservers etc.)
c) by where they are forwarded to (not sure this one is possible, but would be great).

•••
Thank you! Can your developers also improve my GD control panel to allow to search for domains based on
a) their length
b) by the time they were acquired/moved to GD (this way I know which names I haven't made changes to in regards to forwarding/nameservers etc.)
c) by where they are forwarded to (not sure this one is possible, but would be great).
We have a project being scoped out, so it is still a little ways away from being developed to redo the entire user experience for bulk users which will make things much easier. It will be unbelievable :) We do from time to time have people participate in Beta tests on projects we roll out. If you are interested in this let your premier representative know.

•••
We have a project being scoped out, so it is still a little ways away from being developed to redo the entire user experience for bulk users which will make things much easier. It will be unbelievable :) We do from time to time have people participate in Beta tests on projects we roll out. If you are interested in this let your premier representative know.

Great to hear. I hope they will also implement the feature when you can choose how the name is capitalized in browser, as one of the registries is offering (can't remember which). For example, I want to be able to keep in browser text qMen.com, not qmen.com )

•••
@Joe Styler .........THE coolest name ever.....

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program....

•••
@Joe Styler .........THE coolest name ever.....

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program....

Love it too ) If I had name like that I'd start design business (clothes, homes or any other direction) :)

•••
•••
well done Ali, let me guess it was vrv......dot...com :$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

•••

hmmm.. are you sure of this? I called them about it.. and they said if you have buynow setup, it'll show with $250 min offer. not a % of buynow price.

and this $250 is there to accomodate all partners across networks with commissions etc.

maybe @Joe Styler can confirm whether it's $250 or actual % of buynow.

I find even $250 may be too much for many domainers/domains (especialyl ones we may want to try and sell before expiry or just lower price for X reasons)... so such high % would be that much worse!

tnx

•••
hmmm.. are you sure of this? I called them about it.. and they said if you have buynow setup, it'll show with $250 min offer. not a % of buynow price.

and this $250 is there to accomodate all partners across networks with commissions etc.

maybe @Joe Styler can confirm whether it's $250 or actual % of buynow.

I find even $250 may be too much for many domainers/domains (especialyl ones we may want to try and sell before expiry or just lower price for X reasons)... so such high % would be that much worse!

tnx

It is a percent of Buynow. For example I have a BIN setup at Afternic for $50. At Godaddy the BIN shows the same but the minimum offer to be made shows at 65% of BIN, instead of original minimum price setup at Afternic.

And if I check the same domain name at Netsol, it shows $90. That means they have incorporated $40 Commission for the domain name. Maybe it varies depending on the price.

•••
For example I have a BIN setup at Afternic for $50.

Strange -- I was under the impression that you had to put a $250 minimum. Or is that only for Premium/Fast-Transfer names? Or is that not at all?

•••
Strange -- I was under the impression that you had to put a $250 minimum. Or is that only for Premium/Fast-Transfer names? Or is that not at all?

It's a $50 minimum definitely. Both GoDaddy and Afternic. I have many Chips set up at that price. ;)

•••
It's a $50 minimum definitely. Both GoDaddy and Afternic. I have many Chips set up at that price. ;)

So you would pocket $35 in that case?

Do your $50 names show up for Buy Now right in the GoDaddy search box? Or do you have to go to Auctions to buy them?

•••
Sale go through yet Ali?
Can you tell us the name yet?
Congrats by the way.

•••

Do your $50 names show up for Buy Now right in the GoDaddy search box? Or do you have to go to Auctions to buy them?

That is correct it shows as $50 at Godaddy and I can buy it at BIN or offer price minimum $32 (65%) and I get to pocket $35 if bought. Now $35 for one domain seems lousy but it really adds up if you own many chips.

For example: Xllmn.com

•••

as far as I know on afternic u can enter $20 min price.
if you then add buynow to this $20 min domain,and it goes on premium netowrks, godaddy etc.. your afternic min still can remain at $20.. howeber, I am quite sure having seen that min change to a fixed $250 min.. on godaddy. I am unsure what it may become on other network partners..

perhaps @Joe Styler can clarify how this works. some people claim it is a % of buynow price. so I am really unclear on this and hope he can set record straight once and for all. ty.

•••
For example: Xllmn.com

OK, technically that then takes you to an Auction page with the make offer displayed, rather than allowing you to scoop it up immediately. So I don't think this is Afternic Premium. It must be Standard.

•••
OK, technically that then takes you to an Auction page with the make offer displayed, rather than allowing you to scoop it up immediately. So I don't think this is Afternic Premium. It must be Standard.

Yeah probably. But you don't need Godaddy auction membership Maybe 250 minimum is for Afternic premium.

•••
$250 is also a number that afternic once forced you to put for any and all auctions you list iwth them.. that was til they changed it to min $20 recently.
a year ago or so.

so u couldn't list a thing premium or not, on afternic below min $250

•••
$250 is also a number that afternic once forced you to put for any and all auctions you list iwth them.. that was til they changed it to min $20 recently.
a year ago or so.

so u couldn't list a thing premium or not, on afternic below min $250

You'll find complete explanation in this thread.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back