Domain Empire

.link sales report

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have not found it using the search option so I thought its time to start such a thread.
I'm a big fan of .LINK domains though I was very sceptical to the so called new TLDs.
The reason why I like .LINK though no fan of the new TLDs are:

• "link" has a natural universal relation to Internet. We use sentences like "send me the link". You can combine it with every keyword. And its logical - a link to the keyword.
  • it's very easy to remember. Its also new so it sounds interesting. It's just sexy ;)
  • in my opinion it sounds better than "web" as long you are not some working in the web industry
  • the word has got common in other languages. In Polish we also say link, in German too. Though for some languages it sounds better than others. For example in general german domains with a keyword and .link sound more natural and nicer than in Polish.
So far I have bought some. Maybe my best is notebooks.link. But jet sold none. Since the domain is at start I was interested in the sales. I really think .link will happen to be a big thing.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everything that can be said about the new gtlds, especially the very generic ones like .link and .xyz was already said before with .mobi, .tel and whatever other .com alternative has been put out there.

You can try to convince everyone else and yourself that this time it will be different but history isn't on your side.

•••
Everything that can be said about the new gtlds, especially the very generic ones like .link and .xyz was already said before with .mobi, .tel and whatever other .com alternative has been put out there.

You can try to convince everyone else and yourself that this time it will be different but history isn't on your side.

Ok, sure you win and everyone else is wrong. :)

•••
I'm a domainer and I'm not even aware of most of the new gTLDs.

I didn't know that .XYZ existed, what were they thinking??? :-$

•••
•••
Ok, sure you win and everyone else is wrong. :)

No, just about every else except the "I want to believe" crowd has said, either with words or actions, that extensions like .link are more of the same.

•••
I knew there were some weird and wonderful extensions out there, but .XYZ seriously takes the biscuit.

.LINK really is a king of gTLDs compared to that imho

•••
No, just about every else except the "I want to believe" crowd has said, either with words or actions, that extensions like .link are more of the same.

You've downed all new extensions therefore your time machine can tell. Maybe so, maybe not.

•••
I knew there were some weird and wonderful extensions out there, but .XYZ seriously takes the biscuit.

.LINK really is a king of gTLDs compared to that imho

Actually it's better than .link, more generic.

•••
I've just realised who Frank Shilling is!!! He's the owner of DomainNameSales.com... No wonder I have such bad feelings about the gTLDs. This is the guy that says you have to believe in your products so much that you would reject '$999,000' for a domain.

He's famous for hogging domains and refusing to budge on them without someone paying hefty prices for them and its a guy with this mantra that is running Uniregistry.... Christ almighty.

ICANN should be ashamed of themselves for the way that have rolled these extensions out. The guy with the most money wins, everyone else is left with crap like .XYZ and told that they are the next big extension. They're not bothered as long as they got to comb through all the good names, which they already have.

•••
You've downed all new extensions therefore your time machine can tell. Maybe so, maybe not.

Not all new extensions. There are some specific ones that may have a long life for words on the left side of the dot that match the extension on the right. But those will depend on development in order to spread awareness to the public. You're not going to do well with notebooks.condos, but you could do well with miami.condos - but the problem once again is that most of the better domains were either held back, taken before launch, or come with a premium rate that make them not so attractive for speculation.

When it comes to all the very generic ones like .link and .xyz, you have to consider all the existing tld's out there and then add in all the new gtld's that are either scheduled to launch, proposed, or may be proposed in the coming years. They want THOUSANDS of these gTLD's because they see even more money than you do in them. All of that is going to dilute the value of whatever gTLD you're gambling on, while good .coms will remain good .coms.

•••
•••
I've just realised who Frank Shilling is!!! He's the owner of DomainNameSales.com... No wonder I have such bad feelings about the gTLDs. This is the guy that says you have to believe in your products so much that you would reject '$999,000' for a domain.

You've been a member for almost 10 years, have you heard of the new extenstion .wtf?

•••
They want THOUSANDS of these gTLD's because they see even more money than you do in them.

How many thousands have you an ICANN discussed within your quote? If it's THOUSANDS then maybe everyone should run! :)

•••
How many thousands have you an ICANN discussed within your quote? If it's THOUSANDS then maybe everyone should run! :)

Try reading some of the domain news sites.

You know the expression "if you can't spot the chump at the poker table..."?

If you can't spot the chumps in the new gTLD hype, well...

•••
You know the expression "if you can't spot the chump at the poker table..."?

And you I'm sure know the old expression; You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

Seems like a lot are drinking the water therefore let's agree to disagree unless your 8 ball is telling you something else when you shake it.

•••
This is, hands down, one of the weirdest threads on namepros.
The whole thing seems like a giant wind up with people not getting the satire.. but I'm not sure that it is a wind up.

•••
The whole thing seems like a giant wind up with people not getting the satire.. but I'm not sure that it is a wind up.
This has become an interesting thread I agree, I have had to go back a couple times and reread, did he mean that ?

Look its fine to like what you like, what you are spending on .link regs is hopefully money you can afford to lose, if new gtld regs are instead of going to Vegas or playing online poker if legal where you reside, or if it is a fun account you have with some excess cash then great. If this is money you need to retire or pay the mortgage, put the mouse down and step away from the keyboard.

The new gtlds were really not set up for domain investor speculation, they were ICANN's answer to go around that and put the money straight in their pocket and the registries.

•••
You've been a member for almost 10 years, have you heard of the new extenstion .wtf?

Indeed, a very apt extension. It will be what the registrants of that extension will be thinking in 5 years time.

•••
I didn't know that .XYZ existed, what were they thinking??? :-$

Merely a test of your statement that you'd never heard of .xyz. :) I don't like .wtf either, JFYI.

•••
Merely a test of your statement that you'd never heard of .xyz. :) I don't like .wtf either, JFYI.

Oh good, did it pass the test?

•••
Considering that the domain is registered and listed at sedo for 2990 EUR BIN, I don't think it's satire.

•••
..the title says ".link sales report", 95 replies - clicked on it blaming myself for missing next big thing once again - smart guys had already regged/sold enough .links to fill up 4 pages with their success stories... read all 4 pages, 95 replies - not a single sale reported wtf ...instead of reports found about 100 smart guys telling each other why there will be no sales at all ..what a waste of time and what a relief - i did not miss dotlink gold rush at least, feel better now

•••
obviously .link ain't doing too well..

•••
Only one of the worst new gTLD's there is but still the thread's creator promotes it like there was now dawn tomorrow. Maybe he is payed to do this, we'll never know but he have really succeeded the promotion of this terrible domain since all the big fishes is here making awareness of the .link, kinda funny that way.

•••
Indeed, a very apt extension. It will be what the registrants of that extension will be thinking in 5 years time.
Many will be thinking "dotWhat?". On registration volume, some new gTLDs may have problems ahead. Poor registration volume coupled with poor renewal rates could have some registries having to rely on credit before their gTLD operation covers costs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back