IT.COM

question Logo Impact on Domain Sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Pusang Gala

NoyPi DomainerTop Member
Impact
Just got my domain approved by Squadhelp. However, the logo delivered didn't quite hit the mark. Requested a redesign, hoping for a logo that perfectly aligns with a template marketplace. Second attempt arrives with a restaurant vibe – fork, spoon, wine glass.

Now, I'm wondering, can a logo impact the sale of a domain? How crucial is it for a domain and logo to harmonize?

Personally, I feel a mismatch might send mixed signals. Imagine expecting templates and getting restaurant vibes. Not the ideal first impression for potential buyers.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? How did it affect your domain sale or brand perception?

Screenshot_20231130_084334.jpg
Screenshot_20231130_084404.jpg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The logo isn't something that the buyer is going to use, it's just there to catch people's attention and perhaps be a bit inspiring. But it's not going to convince anyone to buy something they didn't intend to buy or affect what they're willing to pay for it.

That said, I think the second one is worse because it fails to communicate the brand. Template Club, intuitively, has nothing to do with food or cooking.

Design, pictures, documents, code, ...that's what templates are associated with. And the first logo captured that fairly well with the squares that look like a page and an overlay. It also has a more professional looking font and style, which you'd associate with the aforementioned categories.

If someone is looking to create a platform to distribute templates they're going to scroll past any logo with a fork in it.

•••
Personally, I feel a mismatch might send mixed signals. Imagine expecting templates and getting restaurant vibes. Not the ideal first impression for potential buyers.
The first logo may match your intentions with the domain name, however it looks bland and generic.

The second logo may imply culinary, personally it's the better logo design. It lends itself towards the Corporate Memphis art style.

If this was a developed website, I would agree with your point.

If you owned CAT.com and you registered it based on your Siamese cat, but then you have Caterpillar construction. Do you want a cat lady buying your domain or a major corporation?

I don't think a logo design will negatively impact a potential sale.

•••
👀 Honestly, the logo a marketplace assigns to a domain can/will in fact influence a potential buyer’s perception of the domain and its value. It’s similar to how the uppercase, lowercase and toggled depiction of a name can influence how it’s perceived as well. Marketplaces like Brandbucket and SquadHelp adding logos to names is a niche offering that’ll quickly lose relevance as more domainers recognize they can use Ai tools to generate an infinite amount of domain logos for themselves without having to wait for proofs. Granted, the design prompts they use will play a major role in logo results.

📊 Most of the logos assigned to domains by Brandbucket and SquadHelp are hyper-generic; and probably don’t give names much of a sales advantage. It’s not as if adding a logo to names has moved the needle on that good ole 1% industry STR. If anything, it just makes their marketplace websites more visually appealing. However, this will only hurt sellers as more and more logos saturate their platforms. The harsh reality is most domain marketplaces aren’t in the design and branding business; and most domainers aren’t designers. This means marketplace logos could potentially stifle sales opportunities when utilized.

👤Mel
Mainnet | QUAD

Last edited:
•••
I can't imagine that many buyers are influenced to spend thousands of dollars based on these type of logos.

Most of these logos seem like something the average person could put together in a few minutes with a free online tool.

Brad

•••
That said, I think the second one is worse because it fails to communicate the brand. Template Club, intuitively, has nothing to do with food or cooking.

Design, pictures, documents, code, ...that's what templates are associated with. And the first logo captured that fairly well with the squares that look like a page and an overlay. It also has a more professional looking font and style, which you'd associate with the aforementioned categories.
Yeah, "template" doesn't really have much to do with food in that context.

I agree that it is a mismatch for the domain.

Brad

•••
I'm pondering whether the designer missed the 'template' aspect because of the "plate" in Tem(plate) word. 😂

•••
The first logo may match your intentions with the domain name, however it looks bland and generic.

The second logo may imply culinary, personally it's the better logo design. It lends itself towards the Corporate Memphis art style.

If this was a developed website, I would agree with your point.

If you owned CAT.com and you registered it based on your Siamese cat, but then you have Caterpillar construction. Do you want a cat lady buying your domain or a major corporation?

I don't think a logo design will negatively impact a potential sale.
The comparison to CAT.com raises a valid point about versatility in branding. However, in the case of TemplateClub, where the domain is specific to a template marketplace, the logo should ideally align with that niche. It's crucial for the logo to convey the essence of the platform to attract the right audience. While a logo may not single-handedly impact a sale, it plays a significant role in brand perception and attracting the intended users. A mismatch between the domain name and logo can potentially confuse visitors and hinder brand identity. In the context of a brandable marketplace, ensuring a cohesive brand image becomes even more important.

•••
Screenshot_20231130_224149.jpg

Another logo for TemplateClub :xf.laugh:

•••
Better than previous one. :xf.grin:

•••
I'm pondering whether the designer missed the 'template' aspect because of the "plate" in Tem(plate) word. 😂
100%. You read my mind.
What is the relevance with “Template” and food? —“Plate” is more associated with food, sure, but Template 1st word “transcends” Plate food, at least with me.

Last edited:
•••
🤖 The designer could be a generative art bot simply producing a result based on some very generic prompts. Being a designer is one thing and having the ability to create prompts that drive art creation is another.

👤Mel
Mainnet Domains | QUAD

•••
Perhaps the designer took on "Club" as an equivalent to a restaurant or dining place, hence the culinary air.

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

New trend- Better without logos.

Squadhelp logo designs are outdated. Even their own logo looks from 2000.

Look at the 99designs.com the most popular platform. The website that offers logos without logo.
Screenshot_20231201_041149_Samsung Internet.jpg

•••
@Pusang Gala try background images it looks more eye-catching than logos.
E.g.:
Screenshot_20231201_042327_Samsung Internet.jpg

•••
More dynamic than the first two. The green arrow seems random. Maybe the word template needs to look like a template.

•••
The second logo looks really 90's...imo seems you can use a free or subscription based logo tool to create better designs by yourself- especially since the buyer may not even use the design. But if the design is going to be there- atleast you want it to have a positive influence. If that's the logo squadhelp premium offers then you might as well do it yourself if they allow that. With all the logo softwares and AI tools around.. squadhelp logo designers may become a thing of the past. Squadhelp probably can easily allow AI designs for you do choose from... but they may want their eco-system to grow. I want the designers to make some cash, but they definitely have to deliver a little better stuff atleast.

Think about it.. lets say they make $100 to $300 on a decent domain sale?
Would you pay someone $300 for that first design? or even the second?
And the second design is not necessarily better than the minimalistic one.. it looks old school imo

However, if they allow, i'm sure you can ask for a do-over again.

•••
•••
Show attachment 249731

Either this one or the first one would work.

Keep in mind that you're not selling the logo, you're selling the domain. The logo is just there to get people to stop scrolling when they browser what's for sale.

•••
I can give it a try with a logo maker and create a free logo for you?
let me know...

Last edited:
•••
I usually only request a redesign if it’s totally wrong, eg food for template.
I think the first one was sufficient and did what it needed to. I would just ask them to reupload it and be done with it.
I think the logo needs to be relevant or generic, as long as it’s not ‘wrong’ then go with it.

•••
Waste of time. Most of serious buyers have already an idea of their future logo.

•••
1. A logo has no utility for literal domains. A logo for "FashionAccessories" is meaningless. If the fashion accessory business had a *name* though, like Gobago, or Fancy Death, the idea of a logo in combination with the name can bring home the proverbial bacon.

2. There is a popular misconception that since buyers may want to design their own logo, that they will ignore any logo in the presentation. It's false. Buyers have no choice but to look at the logo and no choice but to mentally process it.

3. Even though the logos are placeholders, they are important, for brandable names, and their potential impact should not be taken lightly. Today, a good prompt may render a nice AI'd logo, but I don't think it will beat working with an experienced placeholder designer any time soon, in any department, such as time, effort, cost.

•••
•••
From our study, buyers didn't care for logo's and will not use it!

Most businesses have a branding and marketing plan and just looking for their matching identity in the digital world.

That said, still it is good for promotion and may help stand out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back