NameSilo

My Domain Portfolio Statistics

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I’ve been selling domains for ~21 months and thought I’d provide some statistics to everyone. Thought this would prove interesting to others.

Acquisitions:
I originally purchased just over 1,950 names.
99.98% of them were .com’s.
90.7% were hand registered. The remainder were purchased as drops (i.e., NameJet, SnapNames, etc, or via GoDaddy Auctions.
The most I spent to acquire a domain was $166 via a NameJet drop auction (I still own it).

Sales:
I have sold 45 names to date (2.4% of total names owned).
I average about 2 sales per month, with August, November and December being the slowest months (holidays/traveling perhaps?)
The average net revenue earned was $701.59 (after commissions).
My largest sale was $4,195 (hand registered) via GoDaddy Premium. They took 30% of this revenue :(

53.3% were sold via GoDaddy Premium
15.6% were sold directly (buyer contacted me directly, likely via WhoIs info).
11.1% were sold via GoDaddy Auctions
11.1% were sold via the NamePros blog (almost all names sold via NamePros were sold at a loss, but allowed me to recapture some $'s before likely expiration).
6.7% were sold via Sedo
0% were sold via Afternic (although all names have been listed here at the same price as every other channel).
0% were sold by me contacting the buyer (I solely sell passively, I do not cold call or cold email).
0% via brokers/newsletters (I listed some names in newsletters with brokers but none sold).

Interestingly, the bulk of my sales go unreported (based on my sales avenues above). Based on this, I assume online sales reports significantly underport overall sales.

Conclusion
I let ~30% of my names expire as I’ve come to realize these names held less value than I originally thought when I first entered the business. I decided to cut my losses and let these names expire to cut down on future losses. I anticipate letting another 10% expire this year.

I am currently down about $4,000 since inception. Of course, I still own ~1,350 domain names which are assets but these names require continued annual registration. Based on current renewal prices and my average sale - I am almost breaking even now (but am not selling enough to get back the $4,000 I'm currently down). Although one may assume as my "better" names are sold, it'll be even harder to stay even, but this hasn't shown up yet as my average sale price has remained constant to date.

After 21 months, I've learned the domain name business isn’t as easy as I’d thought. I likely could get this to make a small amount of money, but I’d have to move from passive sales to active sales (reach out to potential buyers). I don't have the time or inclination to do this. I also have found I’m much better at identifying and hand registering brand names than I am identifying sellable GEO or keyword names. If I was starting today, I’d solely focus on the brand-able segment.

So that's my story. :wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have slight different story.

I had 110 Domains. 90% of them hand registered.

My stats are simple and it says that I never drop a domain. I never cold call or cold email trying to sell my domain.

Might have done 10 to 15 sales till date. Made enough money to pay for renewals for remaining domains for next 10 years.

My main business is development and therefore I am not solely dependent on revenue or sales from the domain names. So I do break even with owning domains by other means and I also don't have that huge a portfolio so quite different story :)

•••
Nice story Sperry8. Keep it up and I'm sure you will get there.

•••
I have slight different story.

I had 110 Domains. 90% of them hand registered.

My stats are simple and it says that I never drop a domain. I never cold call or cold email trying to sell my domain.

Might have done 10 to 15 sales till date. Made enough money to pay for renewals for remaining domains for next 10 years.

My main business is development and therefore I am not solely dependent on revenue or sales from the domain names. So I do break even with owning domains by other means and I also don't have that huge a portfolio so quite different story :)

Very interesting. We have some similarities. Based on your stats, you sell names between $620-930, and my average sale is somewhat in the middle of that. Where we differ is that you have sold between 9-13.5% of your names, a much higher percentage of my sale percentage.

In hindsight, I should not have hand regged about 50% of my names, bringing my sales total to ~5%, but still significantly lower than yours. So it appears, you are either much better at identifying domains people want or you have a sales avenue that tops mine (or both).

What sorts of names do you purchase? (brandable, GEO, etc)?
Where do you sell most of your names?

•••
I think the difference is the number of domains :)

As I have less number of domains I am easily able to manage them / monetize them / sell them etc.

Thanks.

•••
That's a high percentage of sales coming through GoDaddy Premium -- over half.

Are they passive sales or the result of your own outreach?

•••
I’ve been selling domains for ~21 months and thought I’d provide some statistics to everyone. Thought this would prove interesting to others.

Acquisitions:
I originally purchased just over 1,950 names.
99.98% of them were .com’s.
90.7% were hand registered. The remainder were purchased as drops (i.e., NameJet, SnapNames, etc, or via GoDaddy Auctions.
The most I spent to acquire a domain was $166 via a NameJet drop auction (I still own it).

Sales:
I have sold 45 names to date (2.4% of total names owned).
I average about 2 sales per month, with August, November and December being the slowest months (holidays/traveling perhaps?)
The average net revenue earned was $701.59 (after commissions).
My largest sale was $4,195 (hand registered) via GoDaddy Premium. They took 30% of this revenue :(

53.3% were sold via GoDaddy Premium
15.6% were sold directly (buyer contacted me directly, likely via WhoIs info).
11.1% were sold via GoDaddy Auctions
11.1% were sold via the NamePros blog (almost all names sold via NamePros were sold at a loss, but allowed me to recapture some $'s before likely expiration).
6.7% were sold via Sedo
0% were sold via Afternic (although all names have been listed here at the same price as every other channel).
0% were sold by me contacting the buyer (I solely sell passively, I do not cold call or cold email).
0% via brokers/newsletters (I listed some names in newsletters with brokers but none sold).

Interestingly, the bulk of my sales go unreported (based on my sales avenues above). Based on this, I assume online sales reports significantly underport overall sales.

Conclusion
I let ~30% of my names expire as I’ve come to realize these names held less value than I originally thought when I first entered the business. I decided to cut my losses and let these names expire to cut down on future losses. I anticipate letting another 10% expire this year.

I am currently down about $4,000 since inception. Of course, I still own ~1,350 domain names which are assets but these names require continued annual registration. Based on current renewal prices and my average sale - I am almost breaking even now (but am not selling enough to get back the $4,000 I'm currently down). Although one may assume as my "better" names are sold, it'll be even harder to stay even, but this hasn't shown up yet as my average sale price has remained constant to date.

After 21 months, I've learned the domain name business isn’t as easy as I’d thought. I likely could get this to make a small amount of money, but I’d have to move from passive sales to active sales (reach out to potential buyers). I don't have the time or inclination to do this. I also have found I’m much better at identifying and hand registering brand names than I am identifying sellable GEO or keyword names. If I was starting today, I’d solely focus on the brand-able segment.

So that's my story. :wave:

Great Story

I have just a few things I would mention to you on your strategy. You stated that you had 30% expire from your portfolio causing this to negate some of your potential profits. I would suggest taking those expiring domains throw them up on a forum or sales site. What you see as no potential to another buyer may be drastically different. With this simple adjustment you could probably cut losses drastically.

I'm just saying don't underestimate what buyers will see in potential domains even if those are reseller buyers on a domain forum....after all we all have ideas and thoughts ;)

Grats and I hope you keep it up and make some headway!

•••
That's a high percentage of sales coming through GoDaddy Premium -- over half.

Are they passive sales or the result of your own outreach?

All of my sales are passive - I do not do any outreach. And I agree, a significant % of sales are GoDaddy Premium. In fact, without it, I'd be failing miserably.

Great Story

I have just a few things I would mention to you on your strategy. You stated that you had 30% expire from your portfolio causing this to negate some of your potential profits. I would suggest taking those expiring domains throw them up on a forum or sales site. What you see as no potential to another buyer may be drastically different. With this simple adjustment you could probably cut losses drastically.

I'm just saying don't underestimate what buyers will see in potential domains even if those are reseller buyers on a domain forum....after all we all have ideas and thoughts ;)

Grats and I hope you keep it up and make some headway!

Thanks, I have sold some of my expiring names through NamePros as I try to recapture some money. I also place my expires in GoDaddy Auctions at the minimum allowed. I've sold a few, but not enough. However it does take significant time to manage a sale via either avenue (put them up for listing, etc.) and push to the winner... so I just let them expire instead. Perhaps though per your suggestion, I will try again with all expiring names and see what I can get. Maybe I can find a way to streamline the process. Appreciate the advice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back