Domain Empire

NameJet - Behaving Badly Once Again

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I don't know if anyone else noticed, or did the math on this one, but if you went to NameJet today and used their search feature to see what domains were available to bid on it was mysteriously broken...

This is something I have rarely seen. It was unusual... until you do the math on it.

Domains drop caught today ( 7/1/14) with multiple bidders will end their auctions on 7/4/14... July 4th.

For those not in the U.S. the 4th of July is a huge U.S. national holiday, and mostly every professional businessman is dragged away from work by their families, and offices are closed.

It is my opinion that NameJet disabled the search during the final registration times, so they could cut down the 'general' worldwide competition for some great names to lower numbers.

Even if you ARE part of the auction and placed a backorder, some of the most seasoned domainers may be behind a grill or poolside that day. Leaving the auction missed or forgotten

They aren't stupid, they know that some amazing auctions will be won on that day at significantly lower prices.

To me, seeing another manipulation in action is a clear indicator that they are still a market manipulator.

This might be obvious, I'm wearing my captain obvious cape right now, but I wanted to point out the 'search is down' nonsense that happened earlier today.

Cheers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
why would nj want auctions to not have as many bidders as possible?

•••
Yes i don't get it either.

•••
Profit.

If you think they they don't have buyers out there acquiring names for themselves and their own business, then you are kidding yourself. Later on down the road, I'm sure these become the 'pre-release' names they sell for even more profit.

7/4/14 is a great day to be in on an ending auction, they know that, and want their buyers to have very little competition. Since many domainers use their list as a guide to 'whats hot' on the drop, they disabled it.

A 4L.com with 45.9K monthly searches also happened to be dropping that day.

No coincidence I am sure.

Someone will get that at a discount, regardless where it was caught at.

•••
Their search feature is broken, nothing new at all...

•••
Its nothing new that NJ's search not working.. 50% of the time its broken.
I dont see any conspiracy behind this..

•••
I also still don't get your point about how they profit from having less users being able to search and because of that participate in auctions.

•••
If a domain is too "valuable" for us mere mortals, the registrars (examples: register, netsol) will seize and keep it. The domain will not make it to namejet. While I have not seen it often it happens.

•••
NJ Search is terribly broken. Terribly, terribly broken. You can't even get served up one quarter of the Pending Delete domains that SN has. NJ Search is absolutely awful.

I searched for the the word "domains" with the widest possible parameters, and it served up 2 domains.

•••
What's that quote about not attributing to malice things that can be explained by incompetence?

NJ's search has sucked for as long as I've been using it. In fact most of the drop catching services I checked out have really bad user interfaces for something that should be very easy to do.

•••
why dont you guys use expireddomains to search nj?

•••
I use NJ every day, and that was the first time that I've seen the search be completely 'broken'.

Keep in mind I only search there during a specific time once every day ;) ... so maybe other people are using it more frequently and seeing these errors. I just thought the timing was interesting and, with their history, highly probable that there were shenanigans.

•••
Does anyone have ANY info regarding the search issues? I cannot conduct... a single... search... As in, I can't search even once. Every time I try to use namejet, i get the following error message: http://s18.postimg.org/79g7p37u1/search.jpg

•••
Search is working or me. Have you tried clearing your cache or trying another browser?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back