Dynadot

news NameJet's New (old) Design

NameSilo
Watch

Do you like the change?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

vote
    5.0%
  • No

votes
    85.0%
  • Doesn't Matter

votes
    10.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
How it was announced:

Previous design:
1687258962528.png

New Design:
1687259003762.png

The reaction from domainers:

What's your thoughts?

Personally I was looking for a good refresh on the design since we have seen the same design for so long. Big disappointment. Looks like Namejet's features are missing too.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is a horrible decision and this incredible level of stupidity will come back to bite Web.com right on the ass.

Pre-downgrade, there was no actual requirements work done on this, no one confirmed that SnapNames had the functionality to replace NameJet (it doesn't and it's not even close) and none of the customer base was consulted about these drastic changes.

They just deleted the NameJet site, forwarded traffic to SnapNames, while forcing a NJ logo over anyone using namejet.com as their URL. There is now effectively only one site for SN/NJ customers and it sucks.

To me, they went the wrong direction and should have duplicated NameJet while upgrading the site front and backend, then forwarding SN there. But that would take time, money and effort, while this (*cough*) "upgrade" was started and completed in about 2 minutes, by IT changing the NJ site forwarding and adding a NJ logo.

Done! Whew, time for a beer!

To be honest, I've always hated SnapNames.com as it doesn't even have the base functionality to support my needs, so I always went to NameJet to search and find domains. I might order a few on SN, but my voyage never started there because to me, the site is absolutely useless and lacked even a basic level of features, options, search engine, and domain lists.

For an online business that receives the vast majority (if not all) of their sales from online buyers to pull this crap is almost unprecedented. How this even occurred should be a thesis case study for a post-graduate business course.

It's like Web.com doesn't even care anymore and just wants to sell their expired domain business to GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
Based on such a huge announcement I expected a much improved UI, more intuitive and improved UX, easier and more efficient navigation. Nothing has changed! This looks like nothing more than a quick makeover by a dev who has played around with the stylesheets for a few hours. How NJ can call this a huge upgrade is beyond me.

Last edited:
•••
But it's not even a makeover, they just forwarded NameJet to the SnapNames site, and put a NJ logo + different menu color for all NJ visitors to try and fool people. It literally took someone about 2 minutes to do this "upgrade" - forward NJ site traffic to snapnames.com + add a new logo file/menu color for NJ traffic.

So there is no longer a NameJet site anymore, just SnapNames - other than the logo and a slight color difference on the menu, it's snapnames.com so there is actually just one site now.

Last edited:
•••
To be more clear, this is like The Matrix.

There is no new site design, there is no NameJet, it's all just SnapNames.com slightly disguised to make the transition easier.

1687280950106.png

Last edited:
•••
But it's not even a makeover, they just forwarded NameJet to the SnapNames site, and put a NJ logo + different menu color for all NJ visitors to try and fool people. It literally took someone about 2 minutes to do this "upgrade" - forward NJ site traffic to snapnames.com + add a new logo file/menu color for NJ traffic.

So there is no longer a NameJet site anymore, just SnapNames - other than the logo and a slight color difference on the menu, it's snapnames.com so there is actually just one site now.
I hadn't been to Snapnames in ages, but I see what you're saying. Everything is the same, except the logo and the colors. A 2-minute stylesheet job.

•••
I hadn't been to Snapnames in ages, but I see what you're saying. Everything is the same, except the logo and the colors. A 2-minute stylesheet job.

Exactly. NameJet is dead and all that exists now is Snapnames.com.

Anything else is just a visual trick.

P.S. and the "haven't been to Snapnames in ages" is a common refrain because Namejet did everything far better and with a greater toolset. It's like night and day in terms of features, options, search capabilities, domain lists, etc.

I literally cannot believe that someone actually thought SN would fill the void of killing off NJ.

Last edited:
•••
They even broke their website, Namejet Saved Search Alert emails are not working since June 19th, they just stopped sending them. What a mess...

•••
They even broke their website, Namejet Saved Search Alert emails are not working since June 19th, they just stopped sending them. What a mess...

They literally just unplugged Namejet.com on June 19, forwarded traffic to Snapnames.com, and that was that. Whatever features, options, lists, searches, etc. that were on NJ are now gone, likely forever.

They didn't "break" Namejet, they totally deleted it.

A "Big Redesign" indeed.

Last edited:
•••
Honestly, the domain world is a mess... 25 years of this, I constantly see companies getting worse, rarely (if ever) better.
Some were ok and continue so, some were ok and are gone, some were ok and are now really bad... I rarely see them becoming better, so when you see: new, upgrade, etc, you should start worrying.
If not for some amazing employees to save the day, I don't know, I'm often let down by the platforms.

Last edited:
•••
Sure, but honestly, this "New & Improved Namejet Site" scenario is probably the low point, as I don't think anyone thought that meant they were killing Namejet.com.

I don't see any way to go any lower than that, although I'm sure some companies will try.

Last edited:
•••
Did namejet also pull the plug on sellers submitting domains for auction? There used to be a page for submitting domains to sell under the old design.

Does Namejet no longer allow sellers to list??

Also it no longer shows how many bids/backorders the names have?

Last edited:
•••
I think you need to let Snapnames support know that there is now no functionality for private sellers to list domains for sale, as the last time I spoke to them, they had zero clue that NameJet had even been decommissioned.

They kept telling me "The features are all there, you just need to look". :unsure: :xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back