Dynadot

discuss .net in 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am interested to see other opinions of .net in 2023. I am curious about how people see it today.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am gradually letting go every .net that I haven't yet sold.
Approximately how many are we talking? Just trying to get some perspective.

•••
Approximately how many are we talking? Just trying to get some perspective.

Probably some twenty in total, it was always a small niche for me.
I'll just leave one lll .net and I'm letting go all keyword domains.

Last edited:
•••
For me .net is stuck in the last decade. I am gradually letting go every .net that I haven't yet sold. The renewal price was helpful with this decision.

Fair point. Current pricing is way to high. I'm bullish on strong single word .net domains but they really should lower reg/renewal.

.net is lucky to have enthusiasts in certain niches and they have a lot of legacy and brand protection regs.

•••
I think many people look back regretting not getting .com's for business purposes. It's the stock extension customers want.

I'd be tempted to take a dashed .com over a .net. Actually, I never really thought of it as "internet". Isn't everything "internet"? What does it really distinguish? To me, it amounts to a soft message.

Although I did operate a "how to" site through a .org that sort of added to its credibility (ppc ads only) and that ended up getting decent traffic.

Obviously domain perception can be stronger than actual utility value.

Last edited:
•••
Be honest, have you actually made any money with domaining?
I have made $XX,XXX in sales with over 100 customers. I only buy domains for development now. Most of my sales were between 2005 and 2008.

•••
Most of my sales were between 2005 and 2008.
That figures. So really just a blast from the past

I'm surprised people still pursue .Nets. Sure if we were still in the small pool of domain extensions, you could understand it. In that case .Nets would be a very hot topic. You can match a variety of service businesses to the .Org but .Net just screams Network. Like .info, and .biz they have just been swallowed-up into the bigger Ntld pool. As for Newbies, It probably dosen't help their perception, that most registries still place .Net at the top of the availability list after .com

Or I suppose it could always go down the Fishing Industry route.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back