Dynadot

Opinion on what happened to Namepopper

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is an opinion on what happend to Namepopper and his mysterious disappearance. Keep in mind for the most part, this is little more than educated guessing and I may be wrong.

As you may know, many domainers like to keep their personal information somewhat secretive. Just try asking those in forum chats if you can call them to talk on the phone, many will make up an excuse as to why you can't call.

Very early in the game, it's likely someone asked NP for his name (perhaps old boss GregR), rather than give real name he said nickmaster, i.e. "web master" as in Inter-Nic etc. However that person thought he meant Mr. Nick Master, so the name stuck and it also became his Mod Name. It is extremely unlikely Nick Master was his real name, in all likelihhood was a non-de-plume.

It also is believed he wanted to avoid personal contact with domainers (other than thru PM's and posts) as he always refused various efforts at personal contacts and apparenty never once spoke to anyone on the phone. That is actually far from unusual as many domainers are like that, not just NP, for various reasons.

NP quickly became the #1 Moderator at DNF, and perhaps the best Mod in the world. After zillions of hrs and many PM's on the forums he likely started to get burned-out, as anyone would. He was thought to be more active (plus helpful & appreciated) than many other Mod's, also more popular than others.

Then GregR sold DNF to DotComGold. It appears very likely from reading posts (reading between the lines) and pm's, NP did not really like DCG and the way he proceeded to so heavily commercialize dnf and some other things about new management, including the occasional deletions of some posts, and not too much communications vs the old ownership, especially soon after the sale.

NP was getting even more burned out over all of that and also having to suddenly make more defensive posts and pm's too, and even more often.

It also appears NP may have been personally upset that he was not offered an ownership interest in DNF or at least some monetary compensation for all his time and effort. NP likely became very bitter about that, thinking he contributed more to DNF late success (in the time frame of the sale 9/2002 and beyond) than anyone, but could not share in its success.

Finally, NP also realized most of his domains were unfortunately not good and really had basically zero value. I personally looked at several dozen of NP's domains and did not see any with even reg fee value. Sometimes he did have some real good ones (like Flowers.org or GIF.org) but he sold them too quickly, for believed to be somewhat low prices. Sorry to say, except for a few notable exceptions most all of NP's domains were worthless, but he probably did not fully realize this until late in the game

If you combine all of the above one can easily see why he would let his names expire, disappear, and totally drop out of the business, especially if those rumors of poor health also were correct. This is all only an opinion and I could easily be wrong about some or all of this, but this is a likely scenario.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thread: http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3836

I have no clue what ever became of NamePopper Nick. :tri:
He's a good man, and I wish him well ... in whatever (and wherever) he does, may be. :)

PS. He does have one domain name "Expiration date: 15 Nov 2003 23:31:39" that I would consider pretty cool and would love to have. If anyone EVER talks to him, please have him either PM or E-mail me and I'll purchase it from him on the spot (domain name is at Enom by the looks of the Name Servers).
Thanks.
-Jeff B-)

•••
i never new him theres been some topics he seems a nice guy

•••
There's a little more to the story, but still a good read.

Related note, NamePopper.com dropped today. I'm not sure who caught it, but hopefully a friend.

•••
I hope CoolHost.com never burns out!

Keep on "being cool" Jeff.
ST

•••
Namepopper Post Addendum

Addendum to my earlier post on What Happened to Namepopper? Perhaps the primary reason NP disappeared IMO was likely being very bitter and upset that he worked for no salary at all, many thousands of hrs of time at DNF, and GregR turned-around and sold dnf to DCG. If you are familiar with the events you will see NP's sudden posting vacation, restart of posts and then stop again, happened approx' the same time (just before & after) as the sale to DCG. It is believed both GregR and DCG offered no compensation at all to NP for all his incredible unpaid hard work and time. After all, without NP's hard work the sale price GregR got may have been much lower as NP made DNF so valuable with his work. NP was likely quite upset he was not offered some type of ownership interest in DNF as both compensation and a showing of deep gratitude too. It's somewhat amazing how the many misc forums manage to get such hard working Mods to work for absolutely nothing, especially someone as valuable as NP was. Again, this is only an educated guess and I could be wrong.

•••
Your guess is very believable, would have been nice though if he said his so-longs to his friends before just vanishing into thin air.

Mike

•••
I dont even know what NamePopper is B-)

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-

Related note, NamePopper.com dropped today. I'm not sure who caught it, but hopefully a friend.

1. I got NamePopper.com

2. Who sold values.org to you?

•••
Originally posted by ReignDomain
1. I got NamePopper.com

2. Who sold values.org to you?

Congrats on your namepopper.com grab. I hope it goes to good use.

Values.org was one of many domains I bought from Popper.

•••
And just like that, 20 years have flown by. B-)
@ReignDomain dropped NamePopper.com at some point, as it was re-registered in 2021.
I hope everyone is doing well. (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back