Domain Empire

analysis Percentage value of .net vs. .org

NameSilo
Watch

dantex45

Established Member
Impact
Reviewing the forum I have seen many threads asking questions about how much a .com domain is worth a .net.
For example: if pizza.com sold at 100,000, how much is a .net worth? There are people who say that it is worth 20%, others 5%, others 1%, etc.
But I haven't seen anyone make a similar comparison between .net and .org.

My question is if a .net domain was sold at X price, how much should the same words be worth but in a .org domain and vice versa?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Reviewing the forum I have seen many threads asking questions about how much a .com domain is worth a .net.
For example: if pizza.com sold at 100,000, how much is a .net worth? There are people who say that it is worth 20%, others 5%, others 1%, etc.
But I haven't seen anyone make a similar comparison between .net and .org.

My question is if a .net domain was sold at X price, how much should the same words be worth but in a .org domain and vice versa?
I don't think you can really put a percentage on .org/net like that. In my experience nonprofits, causes, foundations etc pay a premium for .org but wouldn't pay the reg fee for the same .net If it's a generic term I think they would be roughly the same value.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think you can really put a percentage on .org/net like that. In my experience nonprofits, causes, foundations etc pay a premium for .org but wouldn't pay the reg fee for the same .net If it's a generic term I think they would be roughly the same value.
Thanks for your answer. then it is possible to say that except in cases where we are dealing with non profic causes, the .org and .net domains have a similar value, for example if pizza.net sold for $1,000 it is possible to expect pizza.org to sell for a similar value ?

•••
Thanks for your answer. then it is possible to say that except in cases where we are dealing with non profic causes, the .org and .net domains have a similar value, for example if pizza.net sold for $1,000 it is possible to expect pizza.org to sell for a similar value ?
Yes, it's in the same order of magnitude (except for non-profits as @magnificentdomains said).

•••
However, it's worth noting that sales volume for.org is trending upward (except for the first 6 months of 2023), while .net is trending downwards.

I personally prefer .org, and have sold several for around $2k.

•••
•••
Where is it good to sell .org domains, especially if they are two words?
Afternic Premium Network. Use Afternic's nameservers and you only pay 15%. Worth every dollar.

•••
However, it's worth noting that sales volume for.org is trending upward (except for the first 6 months of 2023), while .net is trending downwards.

I personally prefer .org, and have sold several for around $2k.
The same on my end. Comparing net/org I have had more luck with .org and sold a handful for around 2 k with a couple outliers in the 5-10k range.

•••
It depends on the type of domain. Is it a keyword, brand, GEO, etc.?

Also, some terms fit better in .NET than .ORG and vice versa.

.COM has almost unlimited potential upside where .NET and .ORG both normally have much lower ceilings.

I don't think there is any standard ratio you can apply.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back