IT.COM

Question about developing one of my domains into a site

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have the domain ComputerGaming.co and I feel that this would be a great domain to develop into a gaming website for reviews, sales, etc. I just am unsure how I would go about making it that way. Would it be a blog of sorts or a forum? What, in your opinion, would be the best way to go about developing it. Any advice is welcome.

Thank You!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just a left field idea ...

ComputerGaming.Co = Computer Gaming Company / s ... why not look at targeting the actual development community ...

How about a Directory of all the computer game development companies, blog of industry news, bundled with an 'industry insiders' forum, add profiles so Designers / Developers and build out a resume / showcase and add a Job Board where companies can recruit / people can try n get hired ...

•••
Just a left field idea ...

ComputerGaming.Co = Computer Gaming Company / s ... why not look at targeting the actual development community ...

How about a Directory of all the computer game development companies, blog of industry news, bundled with an 'industry insiders' forum, add profiles so Designers / Developers and build out a resume / showcase and add a Job Board where companies can recruit / people can try n get hired ...

Wow, yeah. That sounds like a much better suggestion! Ok, now with that in mind where would I even start? I have done very very little website development and do not know much. I have a hosting package that I host my domains at for a few years now so I at least have a reliable host.

•••
I'd say start by looking at Buddy Press, I think about 90%, at least, of the above can be done with that

•••
I'd say start by looking at Buddy Press, I think about 90%, at least, of the above can be done with that

I am looking into BuddyPress now, thank you. Looks nice, is it like a linkedin of sorts? or no. I am reading the FAQ and before installation guide.

•••
I am looking into BuddyPress now, thank you. Looks nice, is it like a linkedin of sorts? or no. I am reading the FAQ and before installation guide.

Why are you goimg to choose BuddyPress?!! BuddyPress is used to create social networking sites, somethimh like Facebook. If I were you I would choose a CMS to set up the main structure of gaming site. Your best options are WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. I don't think there's a "best one" of them.... it depends on your goal and technical expertise. There are some useful resources which can help you have a right choice when choosing your needed CMS. I recommend two pages providing a comparison chart of WordPress, Joomla and Drupal: http://www.threehosts.com/ratings/comparison-software/wordpress-vs-joomla-vs-drupal.html and http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/cms-comparison-drupal-joomla-and-wordpress.

Both present the information in an easy-to-understand format. The best recommendation I can give you is to do some good research on other available products so that when you made your final decision you can stick to it and don't have to change the whole system after some time because this then can get time consuming and causes additional costs.

A full list of these programs is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
Thanks for both of your ideas! I will look into Wordpress now. I still have yet to do any developing for the domain, but think I want to continue with it.

•••
If you're struggling to decide what sort of solution you need to implement your development project, that's a strong indication that you haven't thought your idea through enough, which ultimately leads to failed development. Put in some more research to your niche and decide if your website is needed or desired, then do some consulting with a developer or team. If you decide you can tackle development by yourself at that point, go for it. Otherwise, you might find out that your time is better spent in promoting your domain to an end user that wouldn't want a developed name anyway.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back