IT.COM

Questions about webhosting

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have seen that some people in this section have run web hosting businesses in the past. I am thinking about starting one. I am wondering about any problems your ran into while starting/running the business and which server host did you use?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Mine was money and time, although when im 18 i'm going to try again.

•••
Web hosting is a GREAT way to learn a lot of things, I started web hosting a few years ago and since learned how to handle a business, Web Design, Coding, Programming, Server Management etc.

•••
Hosting is great. but if you're busy in school. time management is the problem.
and money too.
reece is right.
>.<

•••
•••
never run a web hosting site

but you would still have the trouble of trying to get customers in a area where there are 100s of other companies offering simular services and many of which have been around much longer and have good track records

personally would avoid this area like the plague, its a tough market to compete in

•••
Biggest problem? Competition. Everybody who has a website has a favourite host. They recomend their favourite host to new people. So it is VERY hard to get into the business.

•••
The biggest reason is you have to show why they should host with you. I pay hostgator 100 bucks a year, for unlimited everything, my website has never been down, and i can talk to someone 247 through live chat and have never waited more than 3 mins for an operator. Can you compete with that? Probably not for the simple reason is unless you have enough money to rent out a data center and pay employees you will have to go with crappy reseller hosting and you can only offer so much, because they are probably reselling aswell LOL. But if you stick at it you can make some money.

If you are still keen then give hostnine.com a try. They offer unlimited everything reseller accounts plus free billing software and enom reseller account and a bunch of other freebies for 80 bucks a month.

I used their reseller services before and was quite happy.

P.S. Here is an idea of the competition. 99.9% of hosts that advertise their hosting on this website are resellers themselves.

Last edited:
•••
Joe i disagree with that statement. About 99% being reseller.
Only the BAD companies are resellers. Avoid being a reseller at all possible. If your wanting to learn the very basics it's a good idea to get one for a month toy around on ur own cpanel/whm reseller. But if you really wanna succeed you need at the very least a vps. Which if your a young developer is hard...

I Know from personal experience if you run a bad web host and you mess up your E-Rep is tarnished for ever.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back