Dynadot

RATE THE DOMAIN INDUSTRY'S CREATIVITY. (POLL)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HOW CREATIVE IS THE DOMAIN INDUSTRY?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 🤯 Very creative! There's innovation at every turn!

votes
    23.6%
  • 😐 It's 50/50 and depends on the folks involved.

votes
    32.7%
  • 😮‍💨 The industry is lacking creativity on many levels.

votes
    32.7%
  • 🥱 All I care about is the money I've made.

votes
    10.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
⌛ Ok, most of us have been here for a while, made some profit, earned some stripes and learned a lot along the way. With all of this wrapped into one, I ask:

💡 How creative do YOU believe the centralized domain industry is overall?

🔨 Your answer should factor the works, campaigns and efforts of individuals, companies and platforms over the years.

👂 Let's hear it.

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This seems to have been dependent on if we are looking at efforts to end users, which often do not have a direct cause and effect, but over time and more costly, or the investor world where it's cheaper and near immediate.
The effort is where the money is for them. But not where it counts.

•••
I voted 50/50.

I do see significant creativity various places, for example creation of brandable names, creative thinking around how and which names are used, forging new paths in domain investing around particular sectors, niches and extensions. It seems to me the few who are into domain hacks are pretty creative.

That said, there is also a very traditionalist sentiment deeply ingrained in much of the field, in my opinion, still viewing names in the way they were used in the Internet of the late 1990s when online replaced classified ads, very focussed predominantly on exact match names or at least terms with search volume, and many selling domains only in the most traditional marketplaces. It is not necessarily bad to do any of these, but new ways to create, sell and use domain names will come from those who think more creatively, in my opinion.

I think that AI-enhanced efforts will not hurt creativity but rather enhance it. I am optimistic.

-Bob

•••
The result here was predictable, but I'm not convinced that a high amount of creativity is of great benefit in domaining. Many of the best and highest-selling names are "obviously" good. If a name is not "obvious" then there can't be a lot of potential buyers by definition.

•••
The result here was predictable, but I'm not convinced that a high amount of creativity is of great benefit in domaining. Many of the best and highest-selling names are "obviously" good. If a name is not "obvious" then there can't be a lot of potential buyers by definition.

⚖️ Greetings! Although I understand the sentiment, I'd have to respectfully disagree with your statement about creative benefit. Yes, the value constructs in the industry don't favor creativity; but this isn't natural by far. It's by design. There's a culture that has been perpetuated in order to stifle creativity in the industry. This has unfortunately involved distorting the value of language, expression and creative appeal.

👃 Yes, considerable sums of money have been generated by the industry; but this doesn't mean those numbers wouldn't be dwarfed if things were more creative. We can likely agree the industry carries an 80s/90s odor. One that's getting harder to mask as the world moves further into the future. I firmly believe more creativity would benefit the industry tremendously; but this requires investors to think bigger and better.

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

Last edited:
•••
I voted 50/50.

I do see significant creativity various places, for example creation of brandable names, creative thinking around how and which names are used, forging new paths in domain investing around particular sectors, niches and extensions. It seems to me the few who are into domain hacks are pretty creative.

That said, there is also a very traditionalist sentiment deeply ingrained in much of the field, in my opinion, still viewing names in the way they were used in the Internet of the late 1990s when online replaced classified ads, very focussed predominantly on exact match names or at least terms with search volume, and many selling domains only in the most traditional marketplaces. It is not necessarily bad to do any of these, but new ways to create, sell and use domain names will come from those who think more creatively, in my opinion.

I think that AI-enhanced efforts will not hurt creativity but rather enhance it. I am optimistic.

-Bob
I'm with you in this one "I think that AI-enhanced efforts will not hurt creativity but rather enhance it. I am optimistic." I do think AI is making us to have more creativity.

•••
Domains are a dying genre. Many other way to promote your means, most cost less than a quality domain name.

Keep tryin, hope you break even!

•••
Domains are a dying genre. Many other way to promote your means, most cost less than a quality domain name.

Keep tryin, hope you break even!

It's not about costs, it's about ROI. Especially when you can resell the domain (asset).

•••
The domain name industry is a creative one, with new and innovative domain extensions being launched all the time. Businesses and individuals are using domain names in new and exciting ways

•••
creativity in domain naming doesn’t seem to generally translate that well to end users. everybody wants to add “dot com” to everything

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back