Domain Empire

Running a Webhost

NameSilo
Watch

Wilfredo

Internet EntrepreneurEstablished Member
Impact
Anyone here that run a webhosting company ?
IF you do, what skills did you have when you started it, how much money, how many custumers do you have and on...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I understand that reseller acct. is the way to go.

But how about the pricing thingie.

Do I aim for More profits or customer satisfaction...

Low prices and good support ...

•••
any particular reseller in mind, ifrias?

•••
I started a hosting company with a fellow investor.

First we actually did the research we felt was needed. We looked on things about colocation, dedicated servers, pricing, datacenters, what people prefer, and so on. Right now we are almost ready to launch. What we did was purchase 45 different dedicated servers and colocated them at some DC's. We also went the extra mile and now have a true team of 24/7 support staff, which is a huge plus.

Our site is www.fastnetservers.com which is almost ready!

So if you ask me, heres what I think. If you are a 14 year old kid who is looking to make spare cash go for a resellers. The major thing you should do is TELL your clientes that you are 14. So many people now get into a host who they think is run by and adult but it is really run by a 14 year old, which is misleading.

If you are an adult, go right for a dedicated server. Sure, it could be 90-140$/mo. After the first 2-3 months with proper advertising and client seeking it will pay for itself.

•••
I liked what you were saying.. right up until "So if you ask me, heres what I think. If you are a 14 year old kid who is looking to make spare cash go for a resellers. The major thing you should do is TELL your clientes that you are 14. So many people now get into a host who they think is run by and adult but it is really run by a 14 year old, which is misleading.

If you are an adult, go right for a dedicated server. Sure, it could be 90-140$/mo. After the first 2-3 months with proper advertising and client seeking it will pay for itself."

That's a little.. WRONG. I am 16 and have a dedicated server. With the payments I get every month it pays for about 1/2 of it so far.. and I provide pretty good support for no longer being a hosting company.. just a small provider.

•••
Originally posted by AndrewZ
I started a hosting company with a fellow investor.

First we actually did the research we felt was needed. We looked on things about colocation, dedicated servers, pricing, datacenters, what people prefer, and so on. Right now we are almost ready to launch. What we did was purchase 45 different dedicated servers and colocated them at some DC's. We also went the extra mile and now have a true team of 24/7 support staff, which is a huge plus.

Our site is www.fastnetservers.com which is almost ready!

So if you ask me, heres what I think. If you are a 14 year old kid who is looking to make spare cash go for a resellers. The major thing you should do is TELL your clientes that you are 14. So many people now get into a host who they think is run by and adult but it is really run by a 14 year old, which is misleading.

If you are an adult, go right for a dedicated server. Sure, it could be 90-140$/mo. After the first 2-3 months with proper advertising and client seeking it will pay for itself.

looks like a good deal!! should have see yr site 5 months ago....aarg

hey ,AndrewZ, why the great difference between linux/win webspace and pricing?

thanks

•••
Originally posted by redhippo
looks like a good deal!! should have see yr site 5 months ago....aarg

hey ,AndrewZ, why the great difference between linux/win webspace and pricing?

thanks

Hey.

Thats just dummy text right there. Not real pricing. Like I said, almost done :).

We've just got a bit more to go, should be fun.

Cassandra-
The reason I said that is becuase a normal 14 year old kid cant afford 99-200$/mo. for a dedicated server. Sure, after they get enough clients to pay for it then by all means go for it.

I said an adult should becuase most adults can afford to pay for it right away. And it is a bit of a hassel to switch from the resellers so it would save them the trouble in the meantime.

-Andrew

•••
45 dedicated servers? thats some monthly payment. Did the research and dove right in I see. Well good luck I hope you currently have the clients to pay for that setup or will in the near future...lol

I dont thing there is any reason a person should disclose there age. There is nothing misleading about a younger person running such a business. Personally I was always told not to assume.

All I have to say is good luck to all of the younger people in here and although I dont know alot if there is anything I can do to help you out feel free to PM me .

•••
Originally posted by slipondajimmy
45 dedicated servers? thats some monthly payment. Did the research and dove right in I see. Well good luck I hope you currently have the clients to pay for that setup or will in the near future...lol

I dont thing there is any reason a person should disclose there age. There is nothing misleading about a younger person running such a business. Personally I was always told not to assume.

All I have to say is good luck to all of the younger people in here and although I dont know alot if there is anything I can do to help you out feel free to PM me .

Yea, about 45. We offer co-location to so thats why.

•••
i couldnt image the cost involved in that.

•••
Originally posted by AndrewZ
Yea, about 45. We offer co-location to so thats why.

Why would you need to buy a dedicated server if you're going to offer colocation? Dont the clients just bring in their OWN dedicated servers?

•••
I thought so josh not sure tho. I am getting a server later this week and Im 16. I can afford it without any clients. I will be hosting my sites mainly tho i may offer some hosting to other people. Its just a practice thing so i dont plan to be a host for a bit.

•••
dedicated server? and 16? wow nice heh. how much is it costing you?

•••
well I am looking around. I can afford about 300 a month with no incoming income from it as i have a outside job plus I get odds and ends. well actually i just always end up with a "few" bucks that i have no clue where they came from. I am looking to start with a p4 then onto a xeon when i get a bit more established.

•••
nice :D pretty good money for 16 :)

•••
yea it is i always seem to get money for some reason. i got money skating (skateboard not inline) and surfing from vans and t and c then had a few bucks from a electrician assisting my cousin then i went to a camp where they paid me to teach classes. then i delivered pizza's as soon as i had my license. now i get a few odd and end jobs at the aloha council and some design work on the net.

lol thats my job history, not pretty but works for me

•••
This is a great thread for me. I have odds and ends spread all over and would like to do as Christian is doing. Get a server and pull it all together for myself, learn all I can about it, then offer the excess to somebody else.

Now, my 2 cents about the age comment. I have our Museum site hosted with an adult fellow that I had purchased domains from for the past 3 years. His customer service was always exceptional, so when he began to offer hosting at a competitive price, I decided to spend my own hard earned cash to buy hosting for our community project. It turns out that he doesn't know anything about hosting. It takes days to get any answers from him, because he has to go to somebody else to get the answers. And, he can't adequately transmit those answers back to me. To say the least, it has been frustrating and has hampered development of our site. On the other hand...

One of these "kids" was offering hosting here for NP$. After my previous experience I really did not expect much, but for the fantastic price I thought I would give it a try. Now this person does not know everything, but when she doesn't she says so. The response, the obvious care, and the personal attention has not gone without notice and appreciation.

In short, what you have been saying here is right on. Customer service is everything and age doesn't have anything to do with that. Thanks again, Cass, for excellent service. (You know, I never noticed that you were only 16.)

Last edited:
•••
Things to take into consideration when finding a web hosting provider.

1.) Security.
2.) Certified IT professional staffing.
3.) Financial Stability.
4.) Maturity and professionalism.
5.) Non-outsourced server provisioning.
6.) e-mail and paging technical support.
7.) No bandwith limitations.
8.) Low client base.
9.) No censorship issues.
10.) Personal correspondence with server administration staff.

•••
Originally posted by dnslife
Things to take into consideration when finding a web hosting provider.

1.) Security.
2.) Certified IT professional staffing.
3.) Financial Stability.
4.) Maturity and professionalism.
5.) Non-outsourced server provisioning.
6.) e-mail and paging technical support.
7.) No bandwith limitations.
8.) Low client base.
9.) No censorship issues.
10.) Personal correspondence with server administration staff.

no bandwidth limitations???

•••
Aww thanks Terry. I actually started this because I am going to be in college for everything computers and business. Might as well get a jump start on it.

•••
Originally posted by GCgirl4ever
Aww thanks Terry. I actually started this because I am going to be in college for everything computers and business. Might as well get a jump start on it.

:bingo:

•••
:bingo:

I too host with Cass and have found the same experience. IMO customer service is THE important thing. I know enough or know where to find out enough to get on if we encounter any problems and Cass still knows a hell of a lot.

I recently cancelled my hosting contract with an established host that took two weeks just to respond to my cancellation request. I had no cpanel or WHM and had to arrange for everything through their support ticket system. The company was a reseller for someone - never found out who and in my naive newbie state at first they seemed great cos I could phone them and chat with the them. As soon as I stepped up a gear and started asking 'harder' quesions tho they fell flat on their face. Cass at least tells me straight if she doesn't know but then goes on to try to find out how to do it.

Age doesn't matter guys. Here's to cass, phrone, kodeking, elefekt and all the rest (sorry to whoever I've missed out) - the NamePros millionaires of the future.

:tu:

•••
very interesting and helpful thread..got for it under 21's something:lala:.....as for me,..i am still searching and learning:

•••
Thanks jp, that's what the internet is good for, learning new things. So when someone asks a question I jump right into trying to answer it, then I also learn something new. :)

•••
•••
not sure but i dont think thats good. most "unlimited" bandwidth hosts are very very bad.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back