Domain Empire

Running a Webhost

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Wilfredo

Internet EntrepreneurEstablished Member
Impact
Anyone here that run a webhosting company ?
IF you do, what skills did you have when you started it, how much money, how many custumers do you have and on...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am 15.
Started with £0 :D

At the moment I have a lot more :)

•••
•••
Mine is not really a company at the moment, but I sell off some of my server and then give help when needed. I started off on a reseller and within 3 weeks I was on a server. Now I am on a new server and pay $150 a month. I don't keep track of how much I bring in because I am just trying to pay it off.

•••
I'm thinking about starting a host too. Is it best to start with a reseller account or just get a server? And how low do you have to set prices to get customers?

•••
It is better to start of with a reseller. When you have enough clients move to your own server. I am thinking of starting one next year :), but will enter with more than enough capital and probably involve one of my friends.

•••
"I'm thinking about starting a host too. Is it best to start with a reseller account or just get a server? And how low do you have to set prices to get customers?"

Reseller account to start off with is always the way to go for starting off. Once you start making some money and are soon finding yourself having to purchase more and more reseller space for your business, then it's about time you should look into a small affordable server.

Prices don't mean 'jack' to a client looking for quality hosting, however hosting has become over run by people wanting big for less. Your prices shouldn't be too low, or too high, but reasonable and flexible. Flexible because overtime your prices will change, as your business gets more and more clients, especially when it time to get a smal server.

Starting off a web hosting business is not cheap. I definally wouldn't recommend such a big thing for a student or young person, as it's alot of money, hard work and a bad time to be worrying about such problems technical related and downtime issues. Hosting support etc is a full on job, not just a job you can work around in and out of school/job.

I do not own a hosting company, nor do I plan to in the near future, but I have helped out with support before, and even found it hard to keep up with support tickets and issues... And that was me being online at least 4 hours a day... Then again, timezones are tricky.

•••
Thats good advice. If your the same age as me, maybe think about getting a managed server, so if anything goes wrong someone else does all the hard work :)

I manage my own, in and out of school work and works great for me :)

•••
Planned on starting a webhosting business also. Registered/participated in different webhosting forums. Also did research on every aspects of it thru internet resources.

Stopped when I realize I can't handle the php, mysql, linux, apache, etc... side of hosting. Don't want to start studying them at this age :) I think you will need to know them to correctly handle support. You will be asked questions about them. Which you're supposed to handle.

Now, I'll stick to this Domain Name Game :) More fun. Less requirements.

Good Luck.

•••
•••
Great!! ideas.......what about a webhost reseller who will let you set up your own page(their templates/cpanel) and prices...but provide billing/support in the background......anyone can give some links?

thanks

•••
Most of the time billing and support will be handled by you. I don't know of any that will do these for you. Maybe someone can provide us more info on this.

Regards.

Originally posted by hilljd00
I might be intrested in someone partnering up with me.
Any offer? (I own http://www.fusionhost.co.uk)

Nice site layout. Clean and simple.

Last edited:
•••
There are a lot of things you need to know to get into the web hosting industry. Take some time to browse around the forums that are specific to this industry. THe biggest is www.webhostingtalk.com but I would rather recommend www.hosthideout.com and www.hostingdiscussion.com They're good communities to pickup information (just as you come here to gain knowledge of domain selling and all related aspects).

•••
I might start a webhost

But gonna not sure when

•••
•••
"If your the same age as me, maybe think about getting a managed server, so if anything goes wrong someone else does all the hard work"

I'm just slightly older than you, but no matter what age I would be to start a hosting company, I'd have a managed server. Having the manage a server yourself is even more work in my opinion, whereas if you have somebody ready to deal with any problems, it's much more quicker and efficient.

It's not just about start off though. It's about having a big knowledge of support issues. The host I'm at now, reading the forum on some support issues has made me think there is no way I could go into a hosting business. If you plan on picking up potential clients then they will put forward potential support issue questions, and it's up to you to help them out.

It's also great to have a large knowledge of a wide language of scripts, because at the end of the day, if a client needs some help with an HTML bug or a pHp matter, then it's you to you to help them out. Being able to help them out is another step to sucess, unable to help them out, well, that leaves the client opinionated on the service.

Oh, and as for your hosting business Jon, maybe you should get a managed server, because right now Fusion Hosting is not loading of me! :p

•••

hmm.... I will investigate that!
PM me about reseller accounts if needed. Just ask :)

•••
I have a reseller now. Only host a few people mainly friends. It pretty much just pays for it self. Seems to be a good way to go for now

•••
can I get some hosting slipondajimmy

•••
I signed up for a cheap reseller account. I then placed a couple of my domains in their individual sub-accounts. Now, I'm using this reseller account to practice/learn about webhosting.

Gives me the opportunity to get acquainted with CPanel and WHM. Will move to a better and more reliable reseller account when I think I'm ready to handle hosting for others. Right now, no support tickets or complaints to worry about :) Just familiarization.

•••
Good idea to get your feet wet with that account. There's quite a few features in Cpanel and WHM but nothing too daunting that you can't learn by reading some FAQs, the manual and various support forums online.

•••
Yes, I'm collecting learning materials for both.

Thanks.

•••
Running your own server can be rewarding. You are an actual webmaster when you build the server from the ground up and oversee everything personally. I've been running my servers non-stop for nearly a year. I did earn a few new grey hairs which was the only down side. The mild strokes seemed to pass me by nevertheless.

•••
there over 2200 "host" names dropping at DD....does say something perhaps....not sure how many "webs" dropping tooD-:

•••
if you want to start a webhost i recommend start by a reseller account.

that way you start learning about cpanel/whm but spend more time were it´s needed: support. that´s the key: support.

after that, don´t forget that you are entering in a highly competitive market and you will be judged by the service that you offer.

a good profit will only came after some years of growing because you will have to invest a lot to grow.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back