Dynadot

strategy Share your creative outbound emails

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe N

Top Member
Impact
I was inspired by this post made by @Arpit131, and tonight I decided to craft a truly personalized email with attitude for an outbound sales attempt (will share in my next post).

I would love to make this thread a central resource for inspired ideas of how to grab the attention of a potential buyer with a well-written opening email. Members like @Ali have shared personalized intros in the past, and I know many found it incredibly helpful.

So post your original email creations, and let's give constructive feedback to one another on how to improve our email writing skills.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anything can be considered spam just like spam can be targeted eg access to xxxxxxxx of emails word search on plumber send to xxxx plumbers.

•••
Good evening,

Would you ever consider just putting the domain name that's for sale in the subject box and nothing else?

Keeps it plain, simple and to a small degree self-explanatory.

I've not out bounded myself yet but I think professional and straight to the point is best. Busy people have no time for padding in e-mails.

Please et me know what you think.

Regards,

Reddstagg

Works...…... blank email
subject xxxxx.com
blank email.

They don't know if your broker if you use a different address to whois but let them verify that.
They have to ask the first question which changes everything. Gives you something to read email and a bit of cold reading from info you get back.

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Nichols

maybe its time to close this thread

you can't expect people to reveal anything meaningful
based on experience
and giving away whatever secret

after this thread has become
a thread about criminal activities

thanks to all of those
who have no clue
only here for fishing information

"but not that kind of information, please" ..

you guys have nothing to contribute
just looking to get something out of here

being full of hate
if that doesn't happen
the way you expected

Last edited:
•••
I have to admit that I'm disappointed the discussion degraded in such a way. It could have been much more productive without the personal attacks and accusations. I don't think I have the authority to close the thread, but @Mod Team Alfa @Mod Team Bravo @Mod Team Echo @Mod Team Foxtrot can please do so when they're able.

At any rate, there has been some valuable content and information shared here, and I'm grateful to all who contributed in constructive ways.

I'm about to complete an outbound deal that I've been working on for the last couple days. I was going to share the emails and details here, but I suppose I'll just share the sales info on the usual reporting thread once the deal is done.

Last edited:
•••
I would like the thread to stay fact is I am sick to death of threads being edited period after the few minutes grace all good but to change them later or have threads closed early to silence. I would rather people have history of what was really said. Changing any part title editing a thread itself changes whole perception of what people are saying. Some changes give suspicion to activity and aliases.

Other reason is I actually used parts of the positive posts to construct an email I sent last night.

Last edited:
•••
I'm about to complete an outbound deal that I've been working on for the last couple days. I was going to share the emails and details here, but I suppose I'll just share the sales info on the usual reporting thread once the deal is done.

I think the same and end up keeping stories to myself as time passes eg trying to secure similar names etc.

I will share a quick story I was getting email for a domain I really wanted but I never replied as wasn't wanting to be end user right away but I did want it. I showed no interest in it I didn't type it in I did nothing but used information and their domainer style to predict that the short expiry and frequent emails might lead to a drop. I now own the name.
I would share the email I just sent in private but was my most personal approach ever.

Last edited:
•••
upload_2020-1-30_11-17-1.png

•••
I have read all the posts and will take the useful ideas from everyone. Be it copied, heard, screenshot or from your own experience, there's always something to learn. Let's not attack each other; instead, let the ideas come in.

•••
•••
•••
Thought I would share something I am trying that is sort of a soft-sell kind of outbound. I have a name in down auction at NL - it is funny (.claims) so see it as a best fit for a marketing or reference site on either funny claims that are or seem false, or funny insurance claims, that several businesses and many articles have promoted in last decade.

Anyway, here is what I just Tweeted:

Many funny claims, in insurance and in society! This domain name would feature them perfectly! In auction at NameLiquidate, 72 hr left, price decreases each hour! Would be perfect for you (at)WeAreFarmers, (at)StateFarm #funny #claims #humour #insurance Info > funny.claims

It also has an image to make the Tweet stand out a bit more. Also in Twitter the link to the domain name is a live link as you just need the dot in Twitter to do that - not putting link here since not sure if allowed. The real Tweet has @ not at but presenting it this way to not make it think it is a NamePros username.

Twitter limits length of course, so not many characters to get across message. I tried to give basic idea, include how to get more information, create some sense of urgency with the 72 hr, and direct it to the Twitter accounts of two businesses who use funny claim ads. I realize Superbowl Sunday is probably a pretty bad day to Tweet, but I wanted to do it while the price is still in the mid $$$ range.

In order to generate a bit more traction I replied to my own Tweet (or if you like added another Tweet to the first one). I did this to add some interesting content that might help the Tweet get traction, and also to involve another possible company who might have interest in it (in Twitter you get notified when someone mentions you in a Tweet). I did several extra, but here is one as an example.

"A bride’s dress caught on fire at her destination wedding, her husband threw her into the ocean to put out the fire." 20 more from (@)WebbInsAgency (along with a link to their site with 20 unusual insurance claims)

I will let you know if it generates anyone bidding. Most of my followers are domainers, so it kind of served two purposes of pointing out the availability to domainers who might follow the auction down to $$ if it is not taken, but also to insurance companies that I hope might see it and do a spot purchase.

The Tweet got 41 impressions and 7 engagements (like a click or heart or retweet) in about first 15 minutes.

So what would you have changed in the Tweet to make it better? Ever had success with something like this?

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I know for sure that there is going to be a shake up in the domain Industry because Spammers, Scammers, and Money Launderers can not be allowed to win over the good guys through bullying and intimidation.

just for the records

there is a difference between
Spammers, Scammers, and Money Launderers

those 3 are different accusation
for 3 seperate criminal activities

and there is a 4th criminal activity
that is when somebody tries to ruin a persons reputation

and a 5th criminal activity
that results from false accusations
in order to defame a person

•••
I've just came across this template:

Joe: First of all, I introduce myself. “Hi, my name is Joe Uddeme. I am a domain broker with Domain Holdings Group.” Sometimes I say Director of Business Development. “I have an asset that I think might be of very interest to your company. The domain asset is this. According to the Google, the search volume for this particular asset is this.” And then I will just get into some basic details. “I would love to discuss this opportunity with you. I think it would be a great advantage and acquisition for your company. There is branding capability.” I do not want to get into too many details, but in essence, “I would love to talk to you. I would love to get aligned with your goals and objectives and try and help you out.”

Source: https://www.domainsherpa.com/joe-uddeme-outboundsales-interview/

•••
Here's what I got yesterday:

"Hi Martin,

I wanted to let you know that I am selling the eCommerce domain, xxxxxxxxx.com.

eCommerce revenue is projected to grow from $3.53 trillion in 2019, to $6.54 trillion in 2022.

Price upon request or via: dan.com/xxxxxxxxxx

Best,
xxxxxxxxxxxx "

It was not in the spam folder :)
I kind of like it, short, accurate and clear, with а little business information.

In my experience, I can say that I have sent a few inquiries (around 100/for 5-6 years) without result.
Only 2% answered with question "what is the price" and that's all.
But I won't stop trying :)

Great thread @Joe Nichols

Let's all stick to the point.

Last edited:
•••
Some good sharing here lately. I decided to post the email chain of an outbound sale I made this weekend. I'll hide the domain name here, but you can see it in the reported sales thread.

Comments welcome!

---------------------------

Date: Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:08 AM -0500
Subject: XxxxxXxxxx.com

Hi Xxxx,

We're selling a domain name that might be of interest to you:

XxxxxXxxxx.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Joe Nichols
Owner / Operator
Brand Sail
p:
w: BrandSail.com e: [email protected]

----------------------------

Sent: January 26, 2020 8:00 AM
To: Joe Nichols <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: XxxxxXxxxx.com

Hi Joe—

Thanks for your email.

How much are you asking for XxxxxXxxxx.com? We may be interested.

Best regards—

-------- Original Message --------

Date: Sun, January 26, 2020 8:43 am

Hi Xxxx,

We have it listed for $1,988 at Dan.com, which has a great escrow service for handling secure payments and domain transfers.

Also open to other payment options, such as PayPal, or purchase from the Afternic marketplace, depending on what you're comfortable with.

I'm happy to set up a quick call as well if you have any other questions. Just let me know.

Joe

-------------------------

Sent: January 27, 2020 4:01 PM
To: Joe Nichols <[email protected]>;
Subject: RE: XxxxxXxxxx.com

Hi Joe--

Thanks for the offer.

We've been doing a brisk business in this space since 2012, so we already have very good search rankings for Xxxxx Xxxxx on Google.

That said, your domain would no doubt be valuable and we're prepared to off you $1000.

Best regards--

---------- Forwarded message ----------

On Jan 27, 2020, at 8:29 PM, Joe Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Xxxx,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Your site definitely does rank well for those keywords. While the domain could still provide a nice SEO boost, I actually see it as a great addition from a branding authority perspective as well. Owning the exact match .com of your core business carries a certain clout.

I appreciate your offer to buy, and we'd be willing to knock the price down to $1600. Does that work?

Joe

-------------------------------

Sent: January 29, 2020 1:47 PM

Hi Joe—

We could go to $1250.

Thanks, and best regards—

--------------------------------

Hi Xxxx,

Okay, $1250 will work. Thanks for working with me a bit.

If you don't mind, given the discounted price, PayPal would be our preferred payment method in order to avoid the service fees charged by the domain marketplaces. The process would be as follows:
  1. I'll send you an emailed invoice via PayPal.
  2. I will transfer the domain name to you.
  3. Once you confirm receipt of the name, you can send payment via PayPal to this email address.
Transfer of the domain name:
  • The domain is registered with GoDaddy. If you have an account there, I'll need the email associated with your account to complete the transfer. The domain would arrive in your account right after I send it.
  • If you use a domain registrar other than GoDaddy, you'll have to request the transfer yourself (usually costs about $10), and will need to enter an authorization code that I provide. It could take several days for the domain to arrive in your account by this method.
Let me know how you'd like to proceed and we'll go from there.

Joe

•••
Some good sharing here lately. I decided to post the email chain of an outbound sale I made this weekend. I'll hide the domain name here, but you can see it in the reported sales thread.

Comments welcome!

---------------------------

Date: Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:08 AM -0500
Subject: XxxxxXxxxx.com

Hi Xxxx,

We're selling a domain name that might be of interest to you:

XxxxxXxxxx.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Joe Nichols
Owner / Operator
Brand Sail
p:
w: BrandSail.com e: [email protected]

----------------------------

Sent: January 26, 2020 8:00 AM

Hi Joe—

Thanks for your email.

How much are you asking for XxxxxXxxxx.com? We may be interested.

Best regards—

-------- Original Message --------

Date: Sun, January 26, 2020 8:43 am

Hi Xxxx,

We have it listed for $1,988 at Dan.com, which has a great escrow service for handling secure payments and domain transfers.

Also open to other payment options, such as PayPal, or purchase from the Afternic marketplace, depending on what you're comfortable with.

I'm happy to set up a quick call as well if you have any other questions. Just let me know.

Joe

-------------------------

Sent: January 27, 2020 4:01 PM
To: Joe Nichols <[email protected]>;
Subject: RE: XxxxxXxxxx.com

Hi Joe--

Thanks for the offer.

We've been doing a brisk business in this space since 2012, so we already have very good search rankings for Xxxxx Xxxxx on Google.

That said, your domain would no doubt be valuable and we're prepared to off you $1000.

Best regards--

---------- Forwarded message ----------

On Jan 27, 2020, at 8:29 PM, Joe Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Xxxx,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Your site definitely does rank well for those keywords. While the domain could still provide a nice SEO boost, I actually see it as a great addition from a branding authority perspective as well. Owning the exact match .com of your core business carries a certain clout.

I appreciate your offer to buy, and we'd be willing to knock the price down to $1600. Does that work?

Joe

-------------------------------

Sent: January 29, 2020 1:47 PM

Hi Joe—

We could go to $1250.

Thanks, and best regards—

--------------------------------

Hi Xxxx,

Okay, $1250 will work. Thanks for working with me a bit.

If you don't mind, given the discounted price, PayPal would be our preferred payment method in order to avoid the service fees charged by the domain marketplaces. The process would be as follows:
  1. I'll send you an emailed invoice via PayPal.
  2. I will transfer the domain name to you.
  3. Once you confirm receipt of the name, you can send payment via PayPal to this email address.
Transfer of the domain name:
  • The domain is registered with GoDaddy. If you have an account there, I'll need the email associated with your account to complete the transfer. The domain would arrive in your account right after I send it.
  • If you use a domain registrar other than GoDaddy, you'll have to request the transfer yourself (usually costs about $10), and will need to enter an authorization code that I provide. It could take several days for the domain to arrive in your account by this method.
Let me know how you'd like to proceed and we'll go from there.

Joe

thank you Joe
for that valuable insight

thank you for your courage
to post it here
knowing that you might be called a
spammer / scammer / money launder

•••
I really like the tone and professionalism in the series @Joe Nichols - I think by keeping them concise, including a really short first email, worked. Some may disagree, but I like the Owner/Operator in your signature vs the titles implying a bigger organization.

In the first email did you put the name of domain in subject line, or if not what sort of subject line did you use?

Even for those of us who don't do much outbound, the final in series is a nice informative and clear how to finish transfer.

Thanks for both the thread and sharing this exchange, Joe.

Bob

•••
I really like the tone and professionalism in the series @Joe Nichols - I think by keeping them concise, including a really short first email, worked. Some may disagree, but I like the Owner/Operator in your signature vs the titles implying a bigger organization.

In the first email did you put the name of domain in subject line, or if not what sort of subject line did you use?

Even for those of us who don't do much outbound, the final in series is a nice informative and clear how to finish transfer.

Thanks for both the thread and sharing this exchange, Joe.

Bob
Thanks Bob!

My subject line is almost always the domain name only. I also include the name in the body of my email (denoted by the XxxxXxxx.com).

•••
Sometimes customers don't know they have need but indeed they need. Good salespeople can sell products that customers originally don't need and this is the value of salespeople.

The similar concept can be applied in outbound emails. I think the purpose of outbound emails is to let email recipients be aware of their needs, provoke their interests and convince them to acquire domains. Given that outbound emails are unsolicited emails from strangers as you said, we need to try our best to build trust in the first email because first impression is always very important. The 2nd paragraph related to benefits helps build trust by showing my consideration of their business success. So that's why I think the paragraph is critical. If they already know their needs and understand the value of the domains, they will send inbound emails to me instead of me sending outbound emails to them.
I was just re-reading the @Ali outbound blog post from 2015:

https://www.namepros.com/blog/daily-dose-outbound-techniques.863492/

It made me think of our conversation, since Ali's advice is that both detailed and brief emails could be appropriate. The important thing is to do your research, and to understand a little about your potential buyer in order to know which approach fits.

Regardless of approach, Ali's consistent message is to avoid fluff. People hate fluff. So add some extra detail when appropriate to the recipient, but keep it relevant.

There are some great sample templates in the post as well.

•••
•••
I will say that there's one aspect of Ali's negotiation approach that I don't agree with:

"These days, my reply to the "How Much?" question is almost always a variation of "To be fair to you, I will leave the table clean for your offer to be placed on. I am certain you've done your due diligence, and I am happy to hear your offer. Does that sound good?""

I don't like the notion of contacting someone with a request to buy something and then not giving them a price when they express interest. It seems flaky and a bit disrespectful. If I were on the receiving end, I'd feel like I'm being manipulated.

Now, that being said... Ali has sold domain names for seven figures. I most certainly have not! So perhaps the risk/reward factor makes this technique worthwhile. I would consider using it for higher value names that have several very good good potential suitors.

Thoughts?

•••
I don't like the notion of contacting someone with a request to buy something and then not giving them a price when they express interest.
I agree 100% with you Joe. If a price is asked then they deserve a price. When I deal with salesmen for things other than domain names that will not give me a straight price, I walk away.
Bob

•••
We are not trying to be fair or nice here. (Beajerkand) shoot to the moon if you can. For example would you sell myworld.com for 50K. It looks like a good amount, but this would mean you left 950K on the table. (my domains are not suitable for such activity.)

Last edited:
•••
We are not trying to be fair or nice here. (Beajerkand) shoot to the moon if you can. For example would you sell myworld.com for 50K. It looks like a good amount, but this would mean you left 950K on the table. (my domains are not suitable for such activity.)
Ah, and I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

Shoot for the moon? Absolutely... but only if you have a rocket that has a chance to make it there.

•••
This was an actual outbound I did a year after I started domain investing. Prospects was a 5 time award winning Curly Hair Artist.

Although it didn't result into a sale.
I let the domain dropped myself but I think it is now developed.

Maybe someone will find this useful.

My first email

Screenshot_20200215-131603_1581769134799.jpg

His response

Screenshot_20200215-133212.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back