NameSilo

Snapnames.com and lack of support

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am wondering if anybody else has experienced problems with snapnames.com. I will explain the problem I am currently experiencing.

Several days ago I back ordered www.brazilian-wax.com using snapname's backordering service. I took almost 3 days to get the "account information" email regarding Brazilian-wax. This does not bother me much. What really bothers me is their choice of registrar. Brazilian-wax.com is being managed by http://manage.directi.com/. This site has more downtime than up time. I have only been able to log in once since I got the domain. Not only that, but they charge $4.99 for me to manage the DNS.

I have written snapname.com regarding this matter but they have yet not replied to my inquiry. I feel that it is wrong of snapnames to work with domain registration companies that charge for services that are offered free of charge by other companies. Not only that, the snapnames account allow you to define the nameservers you wish to use for the newly acquired domains. I had set my default name servers to point to sedoparking, now 3 days after obtaining brazilian-wax.com it is still not using sedo’s nameserver.

This is not the first time I experience problems with snapnames.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi, In order for snapnames to be more successful in " Snapping Names" they need to work with as many registers as possible, unfortunately this means sometimes you end up with someone like Directi !!

I am also not very impressed with Directi but some fellow NP's have gave them a good rating, most of the names I have got through Snapnames usually have taken a couple of days to be able to manage.

All in all, I think snapnames does a great job.

•••
Its happened to me, I got set-up with a really bad registrar which looked like it was designed and managed by a 5 year old.

•••
downloadfreak said:
Its happened to me, I got set-up with a really bad registrar which looked like it was designed and managed by a 5 year old.

It probably was !! :lol:

•••
You have no choice! Catch or not use snapnames.

•••
photomonkey said:
I had set my default name servers to point to sedoparking, now 3 days after obtaining brazilian-wax.com it is still not using sedo’s nameserver.
Did you hound Directi support team? 3 days is not a long time. 2 weeks will be.

Snaps is very conscientious on doing their best to straighten out customer problems with their motley registrar crew, so you may want to alert them of your problem too, but give it a few days...

•••
Well, at least now it seems that the domain I got is being pointed to the sedo parking page.

•••
its an ok price for a domain but support just takes too long.

•••
3 days is a fast time in my experience.
Just be glad your managing registrar spoke English at all, and didn't try to play "holdup" with you for the domain ("Because you never contacted us...", bleh).
snapnames customer service and choice of partners thus far is horrible, but they do get the names...
-Allan

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
3 days is a fast time in my experience.
Just be glad your managing registrar spoke English at all, and didn't try to play "holdup" with you for the domain ("Because you never contacted us...", bleh).
snapnames customer service and choice of partners thus far is horrible, but they do get the names...
-Allan
As long as they don't speak Chinese, I guess I should be happy. Anyway, I got a reply from Snapnames. Actually they do reply in a polite manner, so I guess they are not that bad.

But it is easy to get annoyed when paying $60 for a domain, and risking having to pay a lot more in those terrible auctions. A point I made to them. i.e. that they had had large profit margin. Their reply was
snapnames said:
As for the costs of running our business being low, this is incorrect. Our costs are very high including fees to all of our 130+ registrar partners, the hardware and software we install at all of these partners, the Registry fees for access to acquire domains and the fees for Transfer Fulfillment partners. The $60.00 minimum bid price is very fair and equitable to maintain our business considering these costs.

I am curious though, about how their contract with all these registrars is structured. If they are paid a flat fee or part of the auctions as well. But I still don't believe that their cost is that high. I guess they pay per domain, and their software is kind of a one time cost of development.

•••
photomonkey said:
I am curious though, about how their contract with all these registrars is structured. If they are paid a flat fee or part of the auctions as well. But I still don't believe that their cost is that high. I guess they pay per domain, and their software is kind of a one time cost of development.

Snapnames will pay a fee to the registrar for having caught the name, at the
very least. How much other costs they incur depends on their business model.

It's understandable to believe how high or low their costs are when we're not
working for snapnames. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back