IT.COM

warning Someone attempting to sell my domain on Dan without consent

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?
Hopefully the message sent just now to Dan will help resolve this promptly.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cryptic Answer. Could you explain this? I'm curious as well about why this happened and what we can do to prevent it?

Last edited:
•••
Sedo does not have unregistered names at their marketplace. Maybe few, but when dns does not or stops resolving, they pick up on that in 3 days usually. In that regard, they are in class of their own
Wow! They had had some bad reviews previously about the matter. They must have taken the problem very seriously. Go Sedo!

•••
Currently there are 436 of my domains listed on AN by frontrunners. Relatively new accounts so no doubt about their shady intentions.

AN simply asks to deliver proof of ownership. That's a lot of hassle to go through to provide.

I have now submitted all my domains again to prevent others from listing and will be busy making screens whenever I find time. AN is a joke and if they keep it up I have no doubt they will be held accountable at some point.
Wow! So this appears to be a serious problem with Afternic that persists. If Sedo has found a successful solution, you wonder why Afternic doesn't implement the same?
So, you're having to return to Afternic to prevent those front-runners? Oh, brother!

•••
I have had the same problem with afternic. Found my domains already on there and constantly get emails telling me I just tried to list a domain (at least they make me aware!).

Although Dan does stop you from listing a domain twice, I managed to do it, by accidence once and when I noticed I deleted it.

•••
No, definitely the person posting this was not the previous owner. I have had the domain for quite a while, had it listed on DAN, but had delisted it due to the expiration date coming in October.
I changed my mind, and decided to relist it with DAN, but found that someone else had already put it up in the intermin. This was clued in by my resubmit not going through. That's when I found the listing in someone else's account. The domain had not been sold, transferred, or expired and was still in my Registrar account in good order.
What amazes me is that this individual did this, probably within days of my delisting it.
Is it possible that some unscrupulous folks are monitoring DAN listings for removals, and trying to relist them as their own to do a presale? Curious.
When I deleted from DAN one my domain, after this domain was priced under various price that I had. Something strange.

•••
Use their 3rd DNS feature. It proves ownership.
Thanks for letting me know!

When I deleted from DAN one my domain, after this domain was priced under various price that I had. Something strange.
I'm not sure I understand your comment here. Could you clarify?

In my case, I own a domain that I listed for "make and offer." I had temporarily removed it from my DAN portfolio. Within days, by someone else listed it for a "make offer" sale on DAN.
If they wanted the domain that badly, why not just buy the domain from me. THEN put it up for sale! :) The offer was for $99, the minimum allowed by DAN--a fair price, IMHO, for the name.
Again, though, the GREAT news is that DAN's support team appears to have zero tolerance for these shenanigans.

•••
Maybe it's time for Dan to apply the same veriffication as on Sedo? If you don't verify a domain in a couple of days it gets removed.
Yes. Sedo had some very negative Trust Pilot reviews related to the problem in the past. They responded to the issue. Verification is now strict, and I see that their ratings overall have improved.

•••
I thought i would watch a few days first it is the brokers, and you don't have to accept. I wouldn't advertise other's domains without consent. But they ask later. If you have an offer make a decision but they will never give you opportunity to take over negotiation no matter unless you bring own inquiry. There may be more money involved.
The listings stated domain seller, not broker. Some were fixed prices, which presumably a broker would not do but instead negotiate. The others had names in Chinese characters, so it is unclear what the account name was actually.
Don't domain brokers contact the actual domain owner after being asked to broker a deal?

Last edited:
•••
DAN has zero interest in curbing these kind of activities. They know of fraudulent sellers with thousands of domains they don't own and don't take action, it can't get clearer than this. And if they had a real interest in preventing it, they would do verification it is very easy to implement for a tech-savy company like DAN.
It sure feels like they don't care, when the unauthorized listings keep happening over and over again for me.

And the even sadder part is that now that GoDaddy owns Dan.com, the "GoDaddy brand" likely gets negatively impacted as well.

Note that the solution may benefit by more simplification. One help to implementing the NS3 and "txt" verification might be the need for more explicit instructions for each registrar. Or perhaps using the registrar-direct iisting feature for more of the marketplaces, like Dan and Daaz. For Sedo and Afternic, the Dynadot-direct listing is very convenient.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i'd suggest you check WB prior to creating such "subject titles

The title still stands true, as of this past hour, someone else still is trying to sell the domain on Dan. Customer support has responded, and hopefully this will be rectified shortly. Whether a remote previous owner or other intent doesn't matter. It's not for them to sell.
The Wayback machine and HosterStats.com sound like a good idea prior to purchasing a domain.
There were additional reasons for me to be concerned about the situation, since the apparently Chinese seller had almost 500K domains. And this was my first and probably last "grumpy" name purchase, perhaps inviting trouble.
Do the aftermarket places usually have individual sellers with such large portfolios?

•••
I honestly don’t see how this effects you. As long as they don’t have control over the domain, nothing can happen. If someone ends up buying it, Dan will ask them to transfer the domain and they won’t be able to and their account will get banned. No skin off your back!

Last edited:
•••
is called previous ownership.. and there are millions of em... welcome to reality

•••
I get front runners on a lot of my higher priced SH names. They will list them on DAN with a higher price or make offer. I have complained many times to DAN about it and they remove them. But days later they are back on DAN. If I follow SH rules I am only allowed to list on Afternic if approved, and you are not allowed to list on DAN.
I have asked that SH at least give you a couple of txt records you can put on your account so you can at least apply a DAN one verifying your an owner even though NS point to SH. But this has not happened.
What's curious here is that SH hasn't demanded that DAN to correct this problem. Could they help advocate for you?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back