IT.COM

information Status of a website during the expiry period of the domain?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi there,

I think I have logged into my account after a decade. Is it normal practice these days to keep your DNS intact post-expiry of a domain so your website remains accessible all through the grace period and is only taken down once the domain is in the restore phase?

What are the general charges of domain restoration? And can a domain be recovered if it is in the pending delete phase? if yes then at what cost?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From my understanding the grace period for standard renewal pricing can vary from service to service. The standard seems to be around 10 to 15 days ((averaging around 12 days) However those with certain membership privileges, either paid for or due to number of domains registered can find they have anything up to 30 days to renew these are privileged accounts and can vary between services and membership status. Many years ago Godaddy offered standard renewal fees up to 45 days after expiry for their top members

The usual period of redemption is up to 45 days from the expiry date, so a further 30 days after the grace period. The standard cost of recovery being $70. for each domain, plus one years renewal. The domain becoming available for general registration after 60 days. You can't recover during those last 15 days of that period of 60 days

With all the current inhouse Auctions of expired domains, means all sorts of variations to the above can form part of the T & C's of different registration services. My comments only apply to the original TLD's and I don't have a clue how the New gtlds play-out.

These comments are based on my own experiences - fellow members please correct me if I'm wrong. my advice is check the T&C's of the registration service your using for the definitive answer.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
thanks for the reply. But the main question is about the DNS service. As per my experience with some of the registrars back then the domain never pointed to the host after that. so anyone trying to access the domain is no longer resolved to its host. I have also seen some of them pointing those domains to their parking pages.

So is there a change of practice? I have experienced an issue where my card on file somehow did not work and my domain expired. I never knew about it until it stopped resolving post 35 days of its expiration and I had to restore it by paying 5x the reg amount. So I was wondering if what my registrar did (keeping website intact) is a regular practice these days?

•••
Upvote 0
I think you'll find 'Resolving' of the DNS is again down to each service. I honestly don't think there is anything such as "Regular Practice" Some would welcome the extended service. It seems a strange way of monitoring your expiration/dates/payment issues.

Just accept it was an oversight, your not going to be able to recover anything in 'Pending delete' unless you use a drop service or recover any cost outlay

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
thanks for the reply. But the main question is about the DNS service. As per my experience with some of the registrars back then the domain never pointed to the host after that. so anyone trying to access the domain is no longer resolved to its host. I have also seen some of them pointing those domains to their parking pages.

So is there a change of practice? I have experienced an issue where my card on file somehow did not work and my domain expired. I never knew about it until it stopped resolving post 35 days of its expiration and I had to restore it by paying 5x the reg amount. So I was wondering if what my registrar did (keeping website intact) is a regular practice these days?

if expired, registrars may change nameservers with their own. Registrars don't allow any change on expired domains. You need to renew and then change nameservers with your own. If it doesn't help, or the nameservers are already correct, you need to change DNS records such as A record to make your site accessible again, MX record to receive emails, and so on.

Check the nameservers and DNS records. Keep in mind that any change on nameservers make take 48 hours to see the effect for DNS propagation. Changes on DNS records usually take couple of minutes or hours or longer, based on TTL of the previous DNS record. So, check, make corrections and check the result for 1-2 days. If your site is still inaccessible after 48 hours, something may be wrong with your nameservers or you enter incorrect IP address(es) to DNS A record. You can get the correct IP address from your hosting provider, or ask for help from your hosting provider support.

If you still can't solve the problem, PM me your website/domain. I will solve the problem for you.

•••
Upvote 0
Yes, it is normal for expired domains to be in the zone until they enter redemption period. The registrar will usually change the nameservers to their own or park the domain with advertisements, but it is not universal or required.

1700452451641.png

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back