IT.COM

strategy This is how I price my hand-registered domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is how I price my hand-registered domain names

Some people ask how I manage to sell so many hand-registered domain names. Before I answer that question, it would be convenient to answer this one: How many hand-registered names do I sell per every ten names I register? Generally, I sell between three and four names out of ten within the first two weeks of registration, but result vary depending on the month and hours dedicated to end-user search. So, if I buy ten names, about three of those will sell within two weeks. Some may sell later. Some others will never sell.

Everything considered, the business is consistently profitable, because hand-registration is not that expensive. The two key factors are registering the right names and pricing them correctly. As my sales report indicate, I focus on low value geo names or names that refer to a specific product or service within a given city, state or region. After doing this for some time, I have now a clear idea of which keywords sell quickly and which don’t, as well as which cities might mean hot sales.

My focus on this post is not keywords, but pricing. This is a pattern I have seen often enough in domain investors who attempt to sell hand-registered names. A domain investor registers a few decent names (ex. MiamiGoldBuyer.com, PhoenixDoors.com, etc.) and then contacts potential buyers attempting to sell each name for $1,500. He receives either a negative response or no response at all and then the domain investor arrives at the conclusion that this doesn’t work.

Have in mind that in my perspective the two names listed above are decent in the sense that you can easily flip them for a few hundred dollars. Forget keyword search, forget age, and forget CPC. Those rules do not apply to this particular game. The fact is that both MiamiGoldBuyer.com and PhoenixDoors.com have a list of small business owners who would like to own them. That is all that matters.

But, going back to prices. The key to flipping hand-registered geo names quickly is to price them in a way that it would be hard for end-users to reject. In other words, to speak the language of small business owners when it comes to pricing. Let me illustrate it this way. Now that I am also into numeric names, if you try to sell 76888.com to me for $5000, there is no way I could buy that name from you. However, if you ask for $100, that is an offer I can’t reject. So, I will buy it immediately.

The point is that when it comes to pricing, there is a melting point. You have to present the hand-registered names at a price that becomes hard to reject in the eye of end-users. You must find the balance between profit and expedited sales. In my opinion, for the two examples I gave (MiamiGoldBuyer.com and PhoenixDoors.com), the balanced and appropriate price tag is $250-$500.

Again, this is if you really want sales to happen. If you plan to sit on the names and ask for $1500, that is fine. But I doubt you will sell them before renewing them for a few years. And, most certainly, they will never sell. So the question is $400 now or $1500 never.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no need to fill in spreadsheets, and take notes of everything with any kind of software.

Stick the keywords in Google, visit the "contact us" page on each site, copy and paste the email (and email template) into a new email - with any added custom words/phrases you may deem necessary, and hit send. Then move on to the next.
You need to be fast in this game. Your time is valuable. When I visit a website, if I cannot find the email address in 10 seconds or under, I close it and move onto the next. If there is a form to fill out, I move onto the next. The key is contacting 30-50 quality prospects in the shortest time possible. When you have get more experience, you will be able to send 2 emails every minute. Don't forget to take some breaks though.

•••
Although we are not posting all our sales, here is another very recent hand reg sale:
headshotreproductions.com - $450 (after 10mins of outbound marketing).

Also just sold: kellyconstruction.com (inbound offer)

•••
Why would you not use the contact forms when no email?

I use 2 browser tools to help find emails when I visit a website and I would say at least 40% of business websites do not have a email posted on their websites. But the majority at least have a contact form to use.

Oddly 5% or so have neither and only a phone number.

•••
Is there a tool for firefox? If you send it over, I'll show you 2 great end-user friendly .com domains you can register/probably sell.

•••
There is no need to fill in spreadsheets, and take notes of everything with any kind of software.

Stick the keywords in Google, visit the "contact us" page on each site, copy and paste the email (and email template) into a new email - with any added custom words/phrases you may deem necessary, and hit send. Then move on to the next.
You need to be fast in this game. Your time is valuable. When I visit a website, if I cannot find the email address in 10 seconds or under, I close it and move onto the next. If there is a form to fill out, I move onto the next. The key is contacting 30-50 quality prospects in the shortest time possible. When you have get more experience, you will be able to send 2 emails every minute. Don't forget to take some breaks though.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.. Well.. It's totally different from mine.. I look for everything for each prospect (LinkedIn page, Facebook, Twitter and so on and I take not of everything I can find for every prospects).
I will try to merge my method with your suggestions.

Lol very impressive a sale just after 10 mins of outbound.
Really congrats.

•••
When I visit a website, if I cannot find the email address in 10 seconds or under, I close it and move onto the next. If there is a form to fill out, I move onto the next. The key is contacting 30-50 quality prospects in the shortest time possible. When you have get more experience, you will be able to send 2 emails every minute. Don't forget to take some breaks though.
If only emails, then yes, 2 emails per minute is a true pace. But sometimes you need to search for an email, in G or whois, or to fill the form. You deliberately choose not to do it, you're leaving a lot of money on the table, it's your risky business decision and i respect it. But still, you are leaving a lot on the table. Especially in cases when there are only handful of end users for a certain domain.

•••
•••
I never purchase a domain with "only handful of end users", and neither should you. Each domain you market should have at least 30-40 potential buyers.

My goal is to contact at least 40 quality prospects for each domain. I will close sites with contact forms and move onto the next, to save time - I am not leaving funds on the table as those 40 will be contacted nonetheless. It's a numbers game and 40-50 prospects is a decent net that usually catches a fish or 2.

•••
Hello,

As you deal with equine mortality insurance, you may be interested in the following domain name that recently became available and is now for sale:

EquineMortalityInsurance.com

The domain is available for $750. If your company would be interested in this acquisition, please let us know as we are reaching out to a number of businesses within the industry.

Best regards,
Luc Biggs

Acquisition & Sales of Key Domains
Rua Address Door Number | Post-Code City | Country
Direct: (00351) 212 121 212 | Cell: (00351) 919 125 075

- Domain history (if any) can be viewed here:
web.archive.org/web/*/EquineMortalityInsurance.com
- Registration information:
whois.domaintools.com/EquineMortalityInsurance.com

This is a one-time advertisement that is being sent to your company just once; please reply
« stop » if you no longer wish to receive domain branding offers in the future.

----

Hi Federer, first of all: thank you for all your valuable info man.

I think your email is perfect, short and sweet! I like the opening sentence for domains of products/services but how do you open the email when it's a brandable domain? For example, a domain like Zendalla.com -- assuming you are pitching it to an enduser that owns a lesser version of the name (ZendallaStore.com, for example).

Also, do you always include the price in your initial email or do you only include it for $XXX domains?

Thanks in advance

•••
@Federer Thank's for posting so much and clarifying the grey areas, guys this is just simple Priceless for a Pro to guide point by point into the art of acquisition and sales. Merci Chef.

•••
Federer is a smart seller. Part of my success at selling GEO and other hand-registered names is due to the fact that I read and analyzed most of his sales reports and comments.

•••
Question and opinion?!? Does state code + keyword work as well as city/town/state + keyword? example - CaliforniaPlumbers.com over CAPlumbers.com (both names registered/taken)

CA can be California or Canada....also CAPlumbers.com can be CapLumbers <guess it is how you "spin" it and yes in the CapLumbers, singular would be better!

•••
Federer is a smart seller. Part of my success at selling GEO and other hand-registered names is due to the fact that I read and analyzed most of his sales reports and comments.
I'm a firm believer too that there is a huge demand for domains priced under 1000$
Especially in geo domains. Could you be interested to get in touch with me and discuss about that matter?

•••
Geodomainer fellows, what is your research to promotion time ratio?

•••
I never purchase a domain with "only handful of end users", and neither should you. Each domain you market should have at least 30-40 potential buyers.

My goal is to contact at least 40 quality prospects for each domain. I will close sites with contact forms and move onto the next, to save time - I am not leaving funds on the table as those 40 will be contacted nonetheless. It's a numbers game and 40-50 prospects is a decent net that usually catches a fish or 2.
if youre using chrome, and you "inspect element" then search for "@" sometimes it will show the email that the email form is being sent to.. if that makes any sense lol

So you wont need to fill out the form and just email them directly

•••
if youre using chrome, and you "inspect element" then search for "@" sometimes it will show the email that the email form is being sent to.. if that makes any sense lol

So you wont need to fill out the form and just email them directly

I just checked this on several websites that only show form and not email and I was not able to find the email using this method. I was really hoping this worked.

Maybe it might work on some but probably only a small percent I am guessing.

•••
I just checked this on several websites that only show form and not email and I was not able to find the email using this method. I was really hoping this worked.

yea doesnt always work, but make sure youre on the page with the form also

•••

also i made a mistake.. i meant view page source, not inspect element

•••
I think anytime you may have been successful with that, there was an email on the page somewhere anyway that email extractor plug in would have picked up. Something I read suggested it is not possible to get the email that the contact form goes to unless it is already posted somewhere.

•••
I think anytime you may have been successful with that, there was an email on the page somewhere anyway that email extractor plug in would have picked up. Something I read suggested it is not possible to get the email that the contact form goes to unless it is already posted somewhere.
well i dont use the email extractor, might have to look into it.. but heres an example. On tthis page no email is visible but it will show up if you view page source officefurnitureinteriors.com/contact-us/

•••
Yes, but i get the email right away with email hunter for that page
info at officefurnitureinteriors dot com

problem is I always verify emails and that email is no good. However a check of the whois gets a clean email this time. lwright at officefurnitureinteriors

•••
It really shocks me how many emails that are displayed right on business websites are no good.
People are stupid.

•••
One thing I disagree with you on is search volume. I have sold a domain with only 10 or 20 searches per month. But if absolutely no one is searching the term then I don't see why an end user would want it. I don't even wanna buy it for 8$ when there's no searches
I totally disagree with the thought that domain has value only if it has good number searches associated with it. It was the case few years back. Now by implementing right SEO techniques and Quality content you can rank any domain on Top 10. That is what matters. That is why people were buying these domains. Now you can see many domains with large number of searches are with no bids months after months even if you price it reasonably low on auction sites. When you can rank any Good domain name, people will go for catchy domain names which has brand value rather than same old so called search engine friendly domains. This is the era of brand names and the creativity and not of taking the advantage of seo loopholes which will disappear during the course of time

•••
I totally disagree with the thought that domain has value only if it has good number searches associated with it. It was the case few years back. Now by implementing right SEO techniques and Quality content you can rank any domain on Top 10. That is what matters. That is why people were buying these domains. Now you can see many domains with large number of searches are with no bids months after months even if you price it reasonably low on auction sites. When you can rank any Good domain name, people will go for catchy domain names which has brand value rather than same old so called search engine friendly domains. This is the era of brand names and the creativity and not of taking the advantage of seo loopholes which will disappear during the course of time
I was only speaking for GEO domains that also have no rank and 0 searches

•••

@Federer

are you sending a second email ( follow-up ) when they don't reply?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back