NameSilo

Uniregistry vs Dan Questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I just registered with dan.com and uploaded 500 domains.

Dan.com

I like:
- That when a client lands on my domain they can click my name and see my entire dan portfolio

I dislike:
- The bank transfer looks shady when someone from North America is asked to deposit in Europe.

Uniregistry

I like:
- The user interface and how I can communicate with clients

I dislike:
- That the marketplace does not show who the seller is when someone lands on my domain.
- That I cannot have a link to all my Uniregistry Domains to provide to an end user like at Dans.

So my obvious answer is to use both services along with Godaddy Auctions but it seems really odd to me that if someone asks to see all my uniregistry domains I cannot provide them with a link.

The big thing that has me hesitant on Dan is it is geared more to Europe and may scare an end user when asked to send a larger wire transfer to Europe. Being from Canada it is not uncommon for us to use USD and sending funds to the US but personally I could not see myself sending 25k or something to Europe for a .ca or .com domain being used in North America unless the seller was from Europe.

I think Dan needs a North American Bank to send wire transfers to as well as the Europe one.

I think Uni has the advantage there and with Uni I can even take payment in CAD for my .ca domains which is a pleasant surprise.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyone know if I can send a client a link showing all my uniregistry domains?

•••
I recently sent a wire transfer to Dan.com and it was to an American bank.

•••
I recently sent a wire transfer to Dan.com and it was to an American bank.

I did a mock transaction from Canada and it went to:

Amsterdam (NL) and not Atlanta (US)

My Canadian customers would have no issues doing a bank transfer to Atlanta but when I saw Amsterdam NL even I would have shied away at sending funds from Canada.

•••
@DAN.COM @LaszloSchenk

Laszlo, you were kind enough to help me with a few concerns when I uploaded my domains

Why are Bank Transfers from Canada not going to Atlanta?

Another little gripe I have is that I can counter and offer but I cannot leave a little note to the purchaser to explain why the counter. At uniregistry the interface to communicate with the end user is completely open and I can leave notes and have them in my records.

•••
My transfer went to First Republic Bank in San Francisco. I didn't encounter any mention of a European bank during the process.

•••
Why are Bank Transfers from Canada not going to Atlanta?
Why would they go? So Amsterdam looks more shady then Atlanta? In which world? Why a buyer from Europe should transfer money to Atlanta when buying at godadd/afternic/uniregistry? So, because 30% or so of end users are from US, the rest of 70% should be ignored?

•••
Why would they go? So Amsterdam looks more shady then Atlanta? In which world? Why a buyer from Europe should transfer money to Atlanta when buying at godadd/afternic/uniregistry? So, because 30% or so of end users are from US, the rest of 70% should be ignored?

I see your point but when I initiated a test wire transfer it spooked me a bit sending money for a .ca domain to Europe.

Had I been an ordinary client I would probably have stopped, asked a lot of questions, and tied up the transaction.
A canada destination would be best, a US destination will do, a European destination can spook an end client especially for a ccTLD.

Imagine a .us sale then funds go to Europe, would look a bit suspicious to an end user.

•••
I see your point but when I initiated a test wire transfer it spooked me a bit sending money for a .ca domain to Europe.

Had I been an ordinary client I would probably have stopped, asked a lot of questions, and tied up the transaction.
A canada destination would be best, a US destination will do, a European destination can spook an end client especially for a ccTLD.

Imagine a .us sale then funds go to Europe, would look a bit suspicious to an end user.
From my view, a marketplace from Amsterdam receiving money in an Atlanta account will look worse than an marketplace from Amsterdam to receive money in an Amsterdam account. Shady(better said harmful) will look for a buyer to get a reply after 2-3 days, like afternic does sometimes. A marketplace with over 100k transactions, with over 3k trustpilot reviews and all over Google should not be an issue.

•••
From my view

From your view as a domainer but not necessarily the view of an end client.

Why...

I am an experienced domainer and I saw Dan had a presence on two continents. I was personally taken aback to see a bank transfer initiated to Europe. Now imagine an end user and a transfer of 50k or so. I would be much more hesitant to send to Europe because the US is close to Canada and our legal systems often intertwine. Europe has so many oddball rules that I personally would not have sent the transfer.

•••
From your view as a domainer but not necessarily the view of an end client.

Why...

I am an experienced domainer and I saw Dan had a presence on two continents. I was personally taken aback to see a bank transfer initiated to Europe. Now imagine an end user and a transfer of 50k or so. I would be much more hesitant to send to Europe because the US is close to Canada and our legal systems often intertwine. Europe has so many oddball rules that I personally would not have sent the transfer.
Again, we are talking about around 30% of end users, out of which only a small fraction are buying domain names at 50k and more, out of which only a small fraction are first time buyers, don't have any ties/business to Europe...so not a real issue. If sedo didn't had any issues 20 years ago, when they were the only big player, I don't think that the issue will be a real concern in 2021.

•••
I disagree, the European Union has too many complex rules and I would personally not send money there.
If something goes wrong I much prefer to deal with the US.

If the US gets to deal with the US office then Canada should go there as well.
Even if one potential end user gets spooked away at the thoughts of sending funds to Europe then my point is valid.

Again, I would not send my funds to Europe because the idea of ever tangling with their legal system scares me away. I can guarantee you I am not the only one that feels that way and it would be a simple thing for Dan to switch to the USA office or give clients from Canada a choice of the two.

As far as sedo goes.... they used to be the only game in town, if I was buying a domain and using a larger bank transfer I would also not send money to their office in Europe.

Just imagine for a second something goes wrong, how would you ever engage legal in Europe?
Sure small sales, out them on your credit card or something but the larger sales would cause me concern if I had to send funds to Europe.

•••
I disagree, the European Union has too many complex rules and I would personally not send money there.
If something goes wrong I much prefer to deal with the US.

If the US gets to deal with the US office then Canada should go there as well.
Even if one potential end user gets spooked away at the thoughts of sending funds to Europe then my point is valid.

Again, I would not send my funds to Europe because the idea of ever tangling with their legal system scares me away. I can guarantee you I am not the only one that feels that way and it would be a simple thing for Dan to switch to the USA office or give clients from Canada a choice of the two.

As far as sedo goes.... they used to be the only game in town, if I was buying a domain and using a larger bank transfer I would also not send money to their office in Europe.

Just imagine for a second something goes wrong, how would you ever engage legal in Europe?
Sure small sales, out them on your credit card or something but the larger sales would cause me concern if I had to send funds to Europe.
https://nomadcapitalist.com/finance/offshore/top-5-safest-countries-to-bank-offshore/
https://passportsymphony.com/countries-with-the-safest-banks/
Again, I never had any issues in 20 years with EU banks, if you or anyone you know, had any issues, please share....I'm curious to see how many here have the same concern.

•••
https://nomadcapitalist.com/finance/offshore/top-5-safest-countries-to-bank-offshore/
https://passportsymphony.com/countries-with-the-safest-banks/
Again, I never had any issues in 20 years with EU banks, if you or anyone you know, had any issues, please share....I'm curious to see how many here have the same concern.

That because you never had any legal issues, lets just pretend for a minute you did, now where would you rather have left your money. Just for the American lawyers to deal with europe would cost far more than dealing with a problem in your own neighborhood.

Look, I get it, you dont mind sending the money to Europe, I do and I won't so there is one customer who would not do it for sure and that is me. I will guarantee there are others and that is why the option should be available.

I did not ask for any examples of what has gone wrong nor will I doubt you had good experiences. I ran a larger company in the past and dealing in Europe was a nightmare that I would never ever do again in a million years.

Appreciate the feedback though...

Last edited:
•••
I would agree. That sending US$ to Amsterdam instead to US seems a bit weird to my way of thinking too. Particularly for a large sum of money.

•••
Uni is owned by GoDaddy.
And payment processor is the same on both.
So no any reason to use it - if you are already on GD/Afternic.

•••
Uni is owned by GoDaddy.
And payment processor is the same on both.
So no any reason to use it - if you are already on GD/Afternic.
I dont think its the same payment processor.

Feb 26th
As previously informed, Uniregistry is changing its payment processor to better accommodate your needs. We’re now pleased to announce that starting on the 1st of March 2021 Uniregistry will be using Tipalti to process payouts.

Here’s how you will benefit from this change:

• Market payouts will be processed daily after your sale has been completed.
  • The minimum payout threshold was lowered from $250 USD and $100 USD to $25 USD for all Market related transactions. This means you’ll get your money earlier.
  • More payout methods will be available to choose from (Country restrictions might apply to some payout methods).
  • Different currencies available for payouts rather than just USD (Country restrictions might apply to some currencies).
We'll be in contact with new updates soon!

•••
•••
A profile I made in Godaddy seems to be available in Uni so I think they are the same.

•••
•••

I am actually quite impressed with Dan and usually run a few tests a year to see where my largest returns are.
The topic above is from two years ago, I ran with that for quite a while and I still have a number of domains pointed to my store.

I tested quite a few places

Sedo - too many obsolete domains parked there (as in they don't belong to the lister)
GoDaddy Auction - Still there, I am content with it but that is about it
Uniregistry - Marvelous but lack of a personal marketplace is a big negative
Efty - Great price but I like the fact the other services handle payments

Dan is next on my list and from what I see so far is pretty impressive.
Love the lower commission, my own marketplace, the almost instant chat support.

Will update as I live with Dan for a few months.

•••
I am actually quite impressed with Dan and usually run a few tests a year to see where my largest returns are.
The topic above is from two years ago, I ran with that for quite a while and I still have a number of domains pointed to my store.

I tested quite a few places

Sedo - too many obsolete domains parked there (as in they don't belong to the lister)
GoDaddy Auction - Still there, I am content with it but that is about it
Uniregistry - Marvelous but lack of a personal marketplace is a big negative
Efty - Great price but I like the fact the other services handle payments

Dan is next on my list and from what I see so far is pretty impressive.
Love the lower commission, my own marketplace, the almost instant chat support.

Will update as I live with Dan for a few months.
Got it, thanks.

I am not surprised you like Dan. :xf.wink:

I was curious to know the reasons why you switched from the DIY domain sales (mapledots.ca inquires and/or redirects to the ecommerce store) to a 3rd party marketplace.

For the last couple of years I run my own website/domain marketplace and I use DAN as a payment processor only. I got a bit tired from this DIY stuff (inquiry and contact forms, live chat, emails, etc.) and starting questioning whether it is worthwhile… Just wonder how it works for others.

Last edited:
•••
Got it, thanks.

I am not surprised you like Dan. :xf.wink:

I was curious to know the reasons why you switched from the DIY domain sales (mapledots.ca inquires and/or redirects to the ecommerce store) to a 3rd party marketplace.

For the last couple of years I run my own website/domain marketplace and I use DAN as a payment processor only. I got a bit tired from this DIY stuff (inquiry and contact forms, live chat, emails, etc.) and starting questioning whether it is worthwhile… Just wonder how it works for others.

Glad you asked, in fact exactly like you I am so busy with so many projects and websites that Dan.com is looking very attractive.

I like that it is a complete marketplace like Efty but fully managed for a reasonable fee.

Technically if you direct your marketplace URL over to your Dans marketplace you are good to go in minutes.

I mean in the end Uniregistry has a more robust back end but with the lack of a client side marketplace it truly cannot compare to Dans. The others also cannot, the only one that kinda can is Efty, but again I would be getting into doing too much myself. I need a little break and if I can get Dan to do the work on a few hundred domains for me then I am all for it.

Still a few things on Dan, like the fact that if you turn on leasing it sets it for all domains and you cannot just pick your more expensive ones. Like I want to bother for 5 years on a 5k sale.... Yikes!!

Everything on Dan affects your entire marketplace, settings like BIN, Leasing, Buy Now, you cannot individualize it per domain, that is a growing point that still needs to happen.

Should be like the starting offer that is store wide and then can be changed per domain. That needs to happen for leasing, buy now etc as well.

Last edited:
•••
Glad you asked, in fact exactly like you I am so busy with so many projects and websites that Dan.com is looking very attractive.
I need a little break and if I can get Dan to do the work on a few hundred domains for me then I am all for it.

(y) Cannot agree more.

The only difference is that I also want/need to increase my STR this fall, so I (temporarily) switched to ns5-6.Afternic.com instead.

Still a few things on Dan, like the fact that if you turn on leasing it sets it for all domains and you cannot just pick your more expensive ones. Like I want to bother for 5 years on a 5k sale.... Yikes!!

Everything on Dan affects your entire marketplace, settings like BIN, Leasing, Buy Now, you cannot individualize it per domain, that is a growing point that still needs to happen.

Should be like the starting offer that is store wide and then can be changed per domain. That needs to happen for leasing, buy now etc as well.

Very true.

I think I read on Dan’s official thread that it’s on their roadmap to allow bulk setting the number of installments depending on the domain price. Maybe Lease to own option would be implemented similarly…

•••
The only difference is that I also want/need to increase my STR this fall, so I (temporarily) switched to ns5-6.Afternic.com instead.

I forgot to mention afternic, when I tried them they drove me nuts with emails, it seemed all day I had to update something somewhere, or someone that was not ready to purchase yet was inquiring. What the!!

I removed my domains there just to get some peace and quiet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back