Domain Empire

What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I'm catching the tail end of this, seems to be some kind of controversy...

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/rob-monster-off-twitter-after-christchurch-massacre-controversy/

Must be something odd to evoke this type of a response from one of our members.

Picture0016.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's the same as promising the following on https://www.epik.com/tld/truth

Higher Search Engine Rankings
.truth domain name will help you improve your search engine rankings on google and other major search engines

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 6716

.Truth lying. Rather ironic.

Brad

•••
It's the same as promising the following on https://www.epik.com/tld/truth

Higher Search Engine Rankings
.truth domain name will help you improve your search engine rankings on google and other major search engines

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 6716

They still haven't fixed this? Has been pointed out a gazillion times.

•••
They still haven't fixed this? Has been pointed out a gazillion times.

Honestly, I don't understand why a company with a lot of potential and even network routers (!) is making such absurd statements that are very easy to debunk. Snake oil.

•••
I am in the IT business for the past 35 years and no one dare to make a statement like this.
In another word: False Advertisement.

I invite you to name another company. Let the people know a specific presently existing organization besides Epik that checks all of these boxes today:

- Registry
- Registrar
- Hosting Provider
- Network Routers and Border Gateway Protocol
- Content Delivery Network
- Denial of Service Mitigation
- Intermedia root certificate authority
- Virtual Private Network

Seriously, bring the entity and the proof that they cover the above list and I will happily retract my statement.

•••
Honestly, I don't understand why a company with a lot of potential and even network routers (!) is making such absurd statements that are very easy to debunk. Snake oil.

It serves a purpose. Won't go into detail but yes, I agree.

•••
I invite you to name another company. Let the people know a specific presently existing organization besides Epik that checks all of these boxes today:

- Registry
- Registrar
- Hosting Provider

Seriously, bring the entity and the proof that they cover the above list and I will happily retract my statement.

OVH? Just guessing here.

•••
They tick every box except for the RC. But you're just basically reselling so does that really count?

Last edited:
•••
Lying is a habit.
A disease can be cured but a habit cannot.

Be humble - People know when you are lying.
An Ant wanted to be an Elephant - I don't need to prove it. Everyone know it.

•••
Besides, are you a registry? What TLD? Not trying to be negative, just didn't know.

•••
And yes Rob, OVH is an actual registry running a ngTLD.

•••

- Registry
- Registrar
- Hosting Provider

Since when is Epik a registry? What TLD's do you control or operate?

•••
Epik is bigger (lying) than Google.
A good laugh for the weekend.

•••
Since when is Epik a registry? What TLD's do you control or operate?

Probably for the alternative root tld .truth.

It's like signing your own certificates.

•••
Besides, are you a registry? What TLD? Not trying to be negative, just didn't know.

We run our own registry software in addition to registrar software. For the time being it is focused on powering ALT TLDs. No decision made on whether to acquire a gTLD or ccTLD, but if someone has a registry, we can power it today. You can see it in action on Epik if you go buy a Us.Tv

upload_2021-2-27_15-41-56.png

This is done with a second level TLD but it could just as soon power a gTLD and ccTLD as a fully operational registry. The technology is fully mature and commercially operating for registries.

•••
Is Epik a registry? For which tld (or am I mising something).

No claim can be made about search engine rankings, even for tlds which resolve normally,
because search engines can do whatever they want.

•••
OVH owns their DC's. Thy own just about anything they do. There are others. Guess that would make them just a tiny bit more resilient. Not trying to piss on Epik. I use your services. I like your features but don't give us this when it's obviously false.

•••
We run our own registry software in addition to registrar software. For the time being it is focused on powering ALT TLDs. No decision made on whether to acquire a gTLD or ccTLD, but if someone has a registry, we can power it today. You can see it in action on Epik if you go buy a Us.Tv

Show attachment 183763

This is done with a second level TLD but it could just as soon power a gTLD and ccTLD as a fully operational registry. The technology is fully mature and commercially operating for registries.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification. So you're not a registry but are just running the software?

Last edited:
•••
OVH owns their DC's. Thy own just about anything they do. There are others. Guess that would make them just a tiny bit more resilient. Not trying to piss on Epik. I use your services. I like your features but don't give us this when it's obviously false.

In recent years I have been considering Epik, but in my autonomous world I don't like these kinds of idle statements and boldness. It was an important reason for me not to switch, although I certainly think Epik is innovative on many fronts. It seems that Rob is also too easily impressed by things. Wish the guy all success.

•••
In recent years I have been considering Epik, but in my autonomous world I don't like these kinds of idle statements and boldness. It was an important reason for me not to switch, although I certainly think Epik is innovative on many fronts. It seems that Rob is also too easily impressed by things. Wish the guy all success.

They're not bad as long as you don't get caught up into the drama. There are people who despise them, it'll cost you sales. On the other hand there is opportunity. Do your own calculations and see in what direction your scale tips.

And yes, despite the fact I disagree on things with Rob I do think he's a nice and good guy.

Last edited:
•••
It was an important reason for me not to switch, although I certainly think Epik is innovative on many fronts.

You'll probably love DYNADOT then. Not gonna plaster this thread with advertising for the competition, yet... Look up the ask me anything thread here on NP, look into the CEO. It seems to me it's the kind of company and guys you would love and feel confident about.

•••
They're not bad as long as you don't get caught up into the drama. There are people who despise them, it'll cost you sales. On the other hand there is opportunity. Do your own calculations and see in what direction your scale tips.

And yes, despite the fact I disagree on things with Rob I do think he's a nice and good guy.

The tipping point will be decided by lots of things. As a fellow Dutch pirate, you know the story of Hack-Tic. We were rebellious, but we knew when outright nonsense was being sold.

•••
@Rob Monster Don't inject God into the discussion. I find it hard to square that God is in agreement with the actions you have taken as a company to allow extremist sites a platform to spew hateful speech.
Extremist sites that are anti-genocide and anti-ethnic cleansing should be upheld.

#blackolivesmatter

•••
Cool. Thanks for the clarification. So you're not a registry but are running the software?

We run registries:

- Pseudo registries like US.TV
- Alt registries like .TRUTH that us the Anonymize VPN or Secure DNS resolver

The tech is there.

Moreover, the Epik ecosystem is powered by a robust Single Sign On framework (FederatedIdentity.com).

The scope of the Epik platform is vast. The fact that such an ambitious and resilient footprint with worldwide reach has been assembled with almost no outside capital should be at least somewhat noteworthy to even the most hardened skeptic.

I am not sure what triggered the brigade of rhetorical Q&A today, but I have engaged thoughtfully and factually. I have pretty much ignored this thread otherwise as most of us moved on from it.

If one looks at the recent pattern of online censorship for lawfully engaged participants of content, community and commerce in 2021, you might even agree that this work was all rather prescient.

I had one reasonably authoritative source tell me that on the day that Godaddy dropped AR15.com, that many more sites were taken offline. I would love to see an objective statement from GD on that topic.

Those who value the freedom to ask questions and seek answers, and who appreciate the value of empowering small enterprise, probably appreciate that Epik has held the line on civil liberty.

For those looking for more context on how we approach the topic of hate speech, here is a good place to start:

https://www.epik.com/blog/fightinghate

And for those looking for some objective truth about how few of these hate sites are actually on Epik compared to Godaddy, Tucows, NameCheap and others, here is some objective truth:

https://splclist2020.com/

People should probably ask themselves why Epik, among the most vigilant of registrars, would get such special treatment by the media to portray Epik as safe harbor for hate. It is quite ironic!

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 183763

Stop playing domainers for fools. Selling sub-domains does not make you a registry. There is a lot of nonsense going on here and it has to stop now. Sell your registrar and hosting services. But don't pretend to be something you are not.

Last edited:
•••
The tech is there.

Yeah well... Regarding that. Just having the tech to run a registry doesn't mean much.

Anybody can run an alt registry these days. What does an alt TLD even mean? Could be big, for the moment, it doesn't mean much from a domainers point of view. The tech is cool though.

That being said. yes... I applaud you guys for being defenders of free speech. It's rare to see a company willing to take so much s**t trying to do so. Pardon my french. I really appreciate that. It's important to maintain a healthy balance and to have companies like Epik around. I just wish you guys would be more in touch with reality.

Anyway, I get you were triggered by Tom, probably because of previous heated discussion you have had with him in the past. Just ignore it, it's for the better.

Most domainers don't care about any of this stuff. They just want their domains to be registered somewhere, hassle free, as cheap as possible :).

Imagine a world without all these public outings trying to bash or to defend Epik? Just taking care of business. Wouldn't that be amazing?

If you want to win over domainers, there are plenty of unsolved issues you could focus on. I think Epik has the potential but refuses to take it home.

You guys should ask yourself, are domainers really the niche you want to cater to?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back