Dynadot

What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I'm catching the tail end of this, seems to be some kind of controversy...

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/rob-monster-off-twitter-after-christchurch-massacre-controversy/

Must be something odd to evoke this type of a response from one of our members.

Picture0016.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, whenever an act of violence is carried out somewhere in the world, I pray to god it is not linked to my religion, Islam.

If it is carried out by some lunatic, in the name of Islam , I immediately start speaking against it.

I do not go out there questioning it happened, because it would be disrespectful to the victims, & the suffering it causes.

Good to see others on here are against such behavior.

•••
•••
It has been quite a day and it is far from over.

These are fascinating times in the world, and domains still matter. Epik is keen to empower all that we can for as long as we can. The oligarchs that aim to enslave do routinely seek to slow us down.

May the Lord continue to guide our steps, and allow us to be in the right place in the right time. For folks who choose Epik, now that we are doing our best to keep up.

Our plan is to stay independent and to be owned by sovereign individuals. If folks are seeking investor information, please don't contact me directly but rather email to [email protected] for details about that topic.

God bless you all.

•••
Will Rob/Epik sue Shane/DSAD for slander?

Truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.

Plus, clearly someone as pro "free speech" as Rob should not have an issue with it. People can express their opinions and others can take their business elsewhere if they choose.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Not sure what everyone is talking about. It looks like people are blaming RM for being white-christian extremist and being against muslims. I don't have such a feeling. Trump is blamed for similar things as well, but they are not credible. He decides to "attack" Syria with 100+ cruise missiles which could end civilisation easily, but noone dies because of those attacks.

There are many false-flag killings. It happens less often now. It happened more when deepstate was in control. 911 was real, towers collapsed, but not because of planes or arabs. I hate binladen but he doesn't have such power and technology.

Can't say anything about NZ shootings now. We need to look at who is behind those attacks and what their agenda is. You don't need to be defensive just because you are christian, or blame anyone who says this is a hoax for being racist, just because you are against killings.

Don't play dumb & dont be dumb.

You think I don't utterly resent Bin sh*t laden for what he has done in the name of my peaceful religion?

The hate you have in you will eventually eat you up.

Islam is not a race you genius, its a religion, whites, blacks, brown , yellow, you name it.

I will not give your ideology any more oxygen by explaining. Go educate yourself first.

You think because I am a Muslim I want to do you & other non Muslims any harm?

You come to me, I will show you what being a Muslim is all about, I would protect you with my life against any harm. Regardless of what you believe in, or what color your skin is. Even you, full of hate.

My grandmother was a devout Irish Catholic & she lived amongst us for 84 years. The love between us was stronger than anything in this world.

Its good to know that you wouldn't mind watching me being executed at point blank for worshiping the god I worship.

Dumb*ss

•••
First of all let me just say how saddened I am by the recent events in New Zealand .. it's truly tragic! :(

I actually have had a deep interest in matters of free speech and "digital ethics" going back about 20 years to when I had a large club music community myself of about 35,000 members.

As such I had quite a bit to say in the "Gab" thread ...
https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...fer-or-suspension.1107245/page-7#post-6959887

After making my posts, @Rob Monster actually reached out to me just to say he wanted to "acknowledge anyone that studies a matter, forms an opinion, and renders it thoughtfully". As I don't think we saw exactly eye to eye, but my views on the matter were more grey zone than most .. this was before Gab switched to Epik and actually Rob told me at that point he was glad that Gab had chosen another registrar. (Not sure what changed since as the thread drifted off my radar).

What I can say is that in the conversation, while I remained against Gab because of a few technical reasons (mainly their unwillingless to "police"/"moderate" their own site), he kept an open mind and said:
- "If they were my client, I would have worked to keep them online, but would have felt compelled to counsel [them]."

I don't like posting private conversations, but I do feel that this excerpt from one of his messages, can, whether you agree with him or not, at least shine some light on his own personal reasoning:
- "That said I judge nobody and even folks from the darkest corners of the web can be rehabilitated for the common good. I have seen it which is another very good reason to judge nobody. The domain industry has an important role to play in safeguarding the ability of people to search things out which is why the topic matters and also why the precedent of the largest registrar initiating wholesale takedowns without a court order is also troubling."

Just to give you an idea of the conversation, here's some of what I wrote to him privately about the Gab situation BEFORE they moved to Epik:
Ategy.com said:
Yeah .. context and specifics are EVERYTHING in cases like this. Not a single site can fairly be compared to another .. a single word (or lack of one) can change everything, in some cases I am extremely pro free speech .. extremely tolerant of what should be allowed. However I also feel strongly that sometimes there are competing freedoms .. freedom to live without being intimidated or having people incite violence against you is equally fundamental as freedom of speech ... and there are unfortunate instances like this one where the two go up against each other and you need to figure out where to draw the line.

I think in this particular case it unfortunately isn't even about ideology .. the Gab side totally lost my complete respect when I saw the quote saying they deliberately would not decide or police what is or isn't free speech. That in it's very self shows that they have a complete lack of understanding for the very concept of free speech and why it's important to fight for a line on both sides!

That fact you say you would have worked with them only if you could counsel them is what I'm happy to hear.because as they stood, they were on the wrong side of the line.

I think for the most part, if people are indeed trying to be responsible, that it's fantastic that you protect them. But at the end of the day if there are threats and/or malicious calls to action against individuals or groups, then that kind of irresponsible behaviour should not be protected (although they should very well indeed be given their day in court if they disagree). ...

The conversation then shifted a bit over a couple more messages to my old website, ngTLD's, our dogs, Epik and registrars in general.

I bring all the above up to get to this ... at one point I told him my name was "Arif" (PS .. I pronounce it with an "if" at the end .. not an "EEF"), which is a very common name in the Muslim world (the conversation never got around to my telling him I was a bacon eating Atheist born in Canada and my mom is of mostly Irish descent .. lol), and despite knowing of my background, the conversation continued in the friendly nature just as it had before. In fact, in his next reply he actually wrote "Your name is an Arabic one, I believe, which means knowledgeable. I have no doubt that you are."

I hate posting parts of a private conversation, but these parts were not too personal and I hope serve the greater purpose of shinning some light on Rob Monster's character. That being said .. is it really enough for me to be able to 100% guarantee that Rob is not a white supremacist? Admittedly not .. and I'll also admit that I haven't really looked into anything he's posted on Twitter or anywhere else other than NamePros .. but given my limited personal experience, I personally don't think he is a racist.

That being said .. I'm not saying that he doesn't have far right-wing political views (which in general I'm usually against), but just because someone is right-wing in many aspects of their personal politics does not necessarily mean they are racist.

Where to draw the line in cases like this video are extremely difficult, because in some similar cases, INFORMED public debate is extremely important, and any facts or evidence (like video) can be crucial to fairly assess a situation. But (speaking as someone who has chosen not to see the video), I have to say that I have a lot of respect for the Prime Minister of New Zealand based on how she's responded to this horrible situation .. and that in this particular specific case .. I think that there more pros than cons to having the video removed as well as not even saying his name in public for the moment. There are so many people involved and more than enough evidence that I don't see the benefit of it being posted.

However .. I also do have to say that I can see how some hardcore freedom of speech-ists would argue that there is no way to argue if a video should be removed without actually viewing it .. which would imply that it should not be removed.

In the same way, there are also people who make a valid argument that horrible things should be allowed to be posted specifically so that people can stand against it. Basically that people should be allowed to post hate in hopes that others would stand up and debate against the hate .. and that by using logical arguments, enter into a debate with the ultimate goal of convincing the haters that it is wrong to hate and/or that their arguments for hate are wrong/invalid.

I personally never rush to judge these types of situations either way (as many of you might have noticed based on my super long posts on just about everything .. lol) .. I look at the facts and treat each case separately based on the specifics. In this case it doesn't bother me so much that Rob feels strongly that such content be allowed (in theory so that the hate could be challenged) .. but what saddens me is that apparently he actively posted/reshared it.

However .. if anyone genuinely felt an important video like that was fake, then I do agree that they should tell people to check it out so that the facts (that they believe to be true) be brought to light. Again though, I'm not sure exactly what Rob specifically did or didn't say about the video, so it's not appropriate for me to develop this point any further. But it could be that maybe those of you calling him a racist, should instead be calling him a conspiracy chaser (two very VERY different things).

Because I think that ideally we'd live in a world where people are allowed to post such videos, but that nobody would actually choose to post them. But we don't live in such a world unfortunately .. and unfortunately then people rush to pick sides .. the irony is that most people don't stop to see the end-game of the other's point of view .. which in this case boils down to ...

Side A: "In order to best fight hate, the video should be censored"
Side B: "In order to best fight hate, the video should not be censored"

.. then sadly people are so focused on arguing with the other side's methods, that they overlook the most important part .. which is that in the end .. ultimately that both sides actually want to end the hatred. :-/

Last edited:
•••
Just did a quick read of the the thread...ah, the trials and tribulations of going down memory lane!?!?!

•••
I don’t have to like or approve of the opinions of people I do business with or the opinions of people I don’t. One has zero to do with the other and does not impact my life, business or my opinions.

I see things that offend, irritate, annoy or I disagree with all day every day on social media from strangers and people in the business alike. Social media is basically one big verbal fight about one thing or another.

My first thought when domainers start attacking and piling on a ceo of a registrar for his opinions ( however contrary to one’s own opinions they might be)is
to question the motives of the domainers (most who are in bed with Escrow and GoDaddy who are Epik competitors.)

If you don’t like what he said enough to start a take down Epik campaign there might just be an agenda. Normal people would block him, move their names, etc but not try to “take someone out”.

It’s getting to that point where you can’t state your real opinions out there for fear of retaliation. I personally do not discuss politics religion or anything controversial on the internet.

What you write post etc is pretty much forever.

Should people be allowed to take their outrage and not do business with Epik?
Sure. But put the stones down.

To orchestrate and encourage a takedown of a competitor of companies you have affiliations with just looks— well smarmy —and not based on your convictions.

For the record I do not condone the post but as Evelyn Beatrice Hall said in better words

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

•••
I read the Huffington Post slam job they did on Rob and about Gab. It was b.s. Being controversial and taking a stand about free speech is really tough. Those that do take a stand are the ones who change the world.

The decision to permit Gab.com to be transferred to Epik was made while I was on vacation. So that's another case where I arrived at work to find a controversy in my lap. In that case, I'm in full agreement with Rob's decision to let the domain be transferred to Epik. Had no registrar accepted the domain, then that would call into question free speech in the online era.

Also Escrow.com would have been forced to cancel an ongoing lease because they can do nothing without a registrar. Imagine if you were the owner of a large ongoing domain lease. One day Escrow.com tells you, "Sorry, no domain registrar on earth will accept this domain now. So, despite the contract and a willing buyer, you won't get paid."

Ironic that Escrow.com is now sabotaging Epik in a rather dishonest way. State regulators, instigated by Escrow.com, are now suggesting that all domain marketplaces sales need to be licensed in multiple states. A ridiculous idea, and big news if Escrow.com gets their way. Sedo, Afternic, Uniregistry, BrandBucket – everybody may soon be shut down unless they get licensed as escrow agents. Right now, I'm the guy fighting that fight. If I lose, then we all lose. It's not a small issue for the domain industry.

But I digress.

•••
is it appropriate to leaflet the man's neighborhood and harass his wife, calling him a Nazi?

It's free speech.

What could be more American than leafleting a neighborhood?

Rob has a problem with people leafleting Rob's neighborhood, or saying what they like about his wife, his kids or him, but he's fine mocking the violent deaths of other people's loved ones by calling it a hoax.

What a hypocritical snowflake.

Did someone's speech hurt his fee-fee's?

•••
Hey Rob,

Congrats to Epik for winning Best Registrar!

I am not surprised. Love your hustle! Epik is raising the bar and delivering.

Keep up the good work!

•••
I have been silent on this thread. Just to comment here:

- At no point did l call it a hoax. Those who say I did are relying on hearsay. I have no doubt that people died and for those families who are impacted, I extend heartfelt condolences.

- In my Tweet, which was strategically baited by the SPLC, I acknowledged that the video had inconsistencies. The video raises questions that deserve answers.

- I deleted my personal Twitter account. I did this not because I have something to hide, but because I have better things to do than to be an apologist for free speech, or to be a punching bag for the SPLC brigade.

- I appreciate that the topic being discussed is sensitive and that many have deeply-rooted views about civil liberties. I have read all of your comments. I am disappointed by some of what I read but hold no grudges.

- On a personal note, I am of sound mind and focused on clients. I look forward to providing world class solutions for registrar, domains monetization, hosting, DDoS mitigation, Content Delivery and SSL.

For anyone seeking to understand the sequence of events in NZ that raised questions, here is a recent non-gory video with zero tracking that provides context on why people are looking into this issue:

https://video.watchmask.com/vid/watchmask/Greg Reese_6p-_hk_fOEQ/video.html

For those who wish to continue to condemn me for defying censorship, allowing free speech, and enabling citizen journalism, you are absolutely free to do so. However before you do that, consider three things:

(1) As recently as last month, the mainstream media got the news of Covington Catholic completely wrong. It was the existence of incontrovertible independent video evidence that unwound the official narrative.

(2) The alleged perpetrator in ChristChurch is still awaiting arraignment let alone a trial -- his arraignment was actually postponed at least once.

(3) Whether you acknowledge it or not, there really is an all-knowing, all-seeing and all-powerful creator God. The Bible remind us of this important context:

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. - Matthew 12:36

All the best. I leave you all my contact info below. If you want to be heard or feel the need to vent, you are free to get in touch.

Regards,
Robert W. Monster
Founder and CEO
Epik Holdings Inc.

Email: [email protected]
Tel: +1.425-765-0077
WhatsApp:+1.425-765-0077
Signal: +1.425-765-0077
Telegram: robmonster

•••
Lots of positivity in this thread on this sunny afternoon (for me at least). Let's all enjoy a sweet cold lemonade :)

•••
And unlike Godaddy, we are available and reasonable.

Why was this necessary? This thread has nothing to do with GoDaddy, I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to drag us into it.

•••
OK. I said that I would re-post my comments from Shane Cultra's blog. Some of what I say only makes sense given the context of other people's remarks there:

https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-of-domains-at-auction-for-monday-march-18th-2019

There are 2 comments. One was published earlier. The other hasn't appeared yet. Here is #1:

.......................................................................................................................................................

1/3 or 1/4 of Epik employees are muslims. That includes Epik's oldest / earliest employee and 2 of the 3 newest hires. (Depends on how I count part-time staff. I'm leaving out overseas programmers.) These are not token hires. They have very important roles at the company.

In saying this, I realize that some obnoxious person might find these individuals and begin harassing them. Please don't. Above all, if you're horrified at this massacre of innocent muslims (as I am), or annoyed by Rob's treatment of the incident (as I am), then persecuting other innocent muslims would be a strange way to show it. Not the moral high ground.

One of the commenters here refers to "the Vermin" – which I assume means Epik. "Vermin" can only apply to people, after all – certainly not to Epik's products / services. And it is plural. I assume that means Epik employees are "vermin"? Or perhaps our customers?

Indeed, I see that several people here expect "any respectable domain investor [to] remove their domains from Epik". I myself am a domain investor. So are many of the customers I help daily. If we don't do as some of you demand, then we are not "respectable". Meaning you will not treat us with respect. Because we are "Vermin"?

Maybe it is unhelpful to regard one's peers as "Vermin". Maybe we shouldn't rush to judgment – like lemmings jumping off the proverbial cliff.

Sometimes morality is black-and-white. Murdering 30+ innocent people is a vile act. Publishing a video after other websites act in concert to censor it? That is not so clearcut. People will have strong opinions about it, understandably. I might disagree with it.
But it's not the same as murder.

When horrific content is published, the motivation for publishing it is very important. Censoring footage of murder – though an easy choice to make – is not necessarily a good thing.

For example, what if racist cops shoot a black teenager in the back as he is running away? Should that murder footage be suppressed? Another example: There is reportedly an audio recording of journalist Jamal Khashoggi being tortured and killed inside the Saudi embassy in Turkey. Trump officials have stated that they feel no need to listen. They deny it happened. What if the tape could be published and expose the murderers' guilt?

This does not mean that I approve of Rob's decision to publish the video of the New Zealand massacre. I haven't seen his tweets. But to infer that he did this because he hates muslims and condones murder is not just simplistic; it is LUDICROUS. One person murders 30+ muslims. The other person hires them and works with them closely on a daily basis. To equate these 2 is simply wrong. Whatever the reasons Rob felt it necessary to re-publish a link to content others had decided to censor, hatred of muslims was NOT the reason.

For clarity, I'm Epik's Director of Operations. And I also have a close connection to the muslim world. I was born in Egypt, studied Arabic, and have lived 3 times in the Middle East during my life.
Part of my childhood was spent in Jerusalem, مدينة القدس . My grandfather, as it happens, was an army photographer whose task was to photograph the survivors (and non-survivors) of the concentration camp at Mauthausen. Through my Grandpa, I've lived with the knowledge of that genocide all my life. Any massacre is terrible. But when it's a synagogue or a mosque, it's more personal for me.

Why the personal details? Because I object to Epik – the team I work with and the customers we look after – being portrayed falsely as some epicenter of "hate speech" or the alt right. We are not. We are a domain registrar and marketplace with a wide range of services. We are a company whose boss has taken controversial (and in some ways courageous) steps to protect free speech. Unfortunately, that same boss has stepped on that message with some very bad PR moves. When Rob does that, it irritates me to the point of exasperation. And I tell him so.

Nevertheless, the core argument in defense of free speech is a legitimate position for someone to hold. You may disagree with that position, but you should not confuse an anti-censorship stance with the worst things that can be censored. Yes, an anti-censorship stance permits something to be shown or said, but that doesn't imply an endorsement. And when others are censoring content, then someone who is an anti-censorship activist will go out of their way to publish or exhibit something they may not agree with. That is not a new idea. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," dates back to a biography of Voltaire.

Rob's political and social views have little in common with mine. He is a believing christian who inclines right on politics. I'm a progressive socialist atheist with a "feminist as F*ck" sticker on my laptop. I was so disgusted seeing Trump elected in the USA that I vowed to leave the country permanently. And did. Currently I live on the other side of Trump's nonexistent wall. And the only English I speak is online. My fiancee is Peruana. You can infer from that that I also object to racism against latinos. (I mention this because someone mentioned the non-mention of "hispanics" as a reason to leave Epik.)

Rob and I may disagree, as people in any diverse group will do.
But we do agree on 2 crucial things: Tolerance and Free Speech. There is no such thing as "free speech tempered with morality". Either speech is unconstrained or else it isn't free. Not everyone believes in free speech. Indeed, absolute free speech is not the standard in the UK or the EU. But those of us who do espouse this principle inevitably find ourselves in a role that is misconstrued: Defending someone else's right to say something stupid, wrong, perverse, or even evil. Or to see video footage of evil. That doesn't mean that we agree with it.

I have never witnessed any bigotry from Rob, though his opinions have made my eyes roll on occasion. Rob himself has lived in other countries and cultures during many years. At Epik, he has assembled a truly international team. Rob and I clash often – about strategic decisions related to Epik products, about mixing politics with business, and about specific political views. And because Rob actually is tolerant and believes in free speech, he does what few bosses would do ... listens and lets me criticize him.

Is Epik a hotbed of the alt right? No, of course not. We are a domain registrar. Our staff and customers hold viewpoints in every color of the rainbow. Arguably Gab is a hotbed of the alt right. But it's just 1 domain at a registrar.

Some of Rob's political views do bother me. But America's political views overall bother me. They elected a president whom I abhor beyond words; and this reflects badly on the country. Am I going to condemn half the people in America? No. Yet they did something far more harmful than publish a video, which has put children in cages at the border, which has cost lives in Yemen, which has emboldened white supremacist terrorists all around the world – including this villain in New Zealand.

If I air my political views, as I have just done, then roughly 35% of the voting public of the USA will declare me their enemy. To the extent that they identify me with Epik, then perhaps they will demand that their acquaintances boycott Epik. This cuts both ways, folks.

Society is divided along tribal lines. And the rush to judgment in social media causes the tribe members to align instantly and unthinkingly like iron filings in a magnetic field. There is a tendency toward censorship and de-platforming that even some of us progressives are opposed to. Bill Maher, for example, criticizes this constantly.

I believe emphatically that de-platforming efforts – trendy and crowd-pleasing though the are – are a danger. Rob and I share this view. I wasn't involved in the decision for Gab.com to come to Epik, which was made while I was on vacation. But I support any domain's right to be registered and anyone's right to publish legal content, even if I might hate the views expressed.

At other times, censorship has focused on progressives. Books have been burned and banned. In the 20th century, Bertrand Russell was forced out of a professorship in the USA – teaching mathematical logic – because of his views on sex and marriage. The principle that would have defended his right to teach also defends people on the other end of the spectrum.

It is alarming to see angry mobs mobilized like this: "Thou shalt boycott company X because the personal views of someone there don't match those of your tribe." Very well, consumers can choose to business with whomever they please. But should we pronounce them unworthy of respect if they don't boycott company X because we happen to disagree with some tweet by someone who works at company X? Come on, guys! Stop painting with a broad brush.

Slow down. Rob is not a monster. The worst thing that I could ever say about him is that he has a weird conspiratorial streak. In particular, he interprets every massacre as a "false flag" – from 9/11 to the synagogue shooting to this New Zealand attack. Yes, even the moon landing. Rob told me he believes that flag is false too.

Does this "conspiracy theory" reflex make him a bigot who condones violence? No, not at all. It might make him somebody's "crazy uncle" who thinks far too much about the JFK assassination and the Apollo mission. And that can lead to severe misunderstandings when Rob is simultaneously standing up to censorship on social media networks by publishing the controversial banned content himself. In the heat of the moment, people are going to misinterpret that.

Don't. Take a step back. Think.

Try to tolerate and understand people who are different from yourselves. That includes people on the right and even the alt right. It includes people who voted for the opposite party. It includes people who believe the media or the government is perpetrating hoaxes. It includes Rob Monster. You can shake your heads at someone's personal views without calling them "Vermin" or demanding that everyone shun them.

Epik is a good company. It consists of a diverse team. And we help customers of all kinds. The free-speech stance is ABOUT diversity. Everybody has their own views. That includes Rob. But nobody's views define what a whole domain registrar is about. Epik is neutral, and we defend any domain's right to exist and engage in legal activity. That's an important principle. If no registrars support that principle, than free speech in the internet age would cease. Online communication is essential. It's what we're engaged in here or on Twitter or on FaceBook or via email. And all of that depends on domains – hence on registrars. Domainers, above all, need to understand the importance of domains in this respect.

•••
Hi @Slanted ,

First off, thank you for coming on here, to engage & explain.

I have read almost everything, maybe missed a few things here & there.

I am not American, so I do not have any political agendas.

But I am a Muslim, & I practice my religion to the best of my ability.

I have direct family members that are devout Christians.

I have lived abroad for many years & I know the world.

Where Jesus Christ was baptized (Al Maghtas) Jordan river, is 20 minutes away from where I am located right now in Amman.

& finally I am in the domain business.

So thats why I am here, engaging with you, just for clarity.

We are all sinners, we make mistakes, we learn from them.

I know for a fact, true Christians, true believers cannot also be racists, bigots etc..

Since Mr. Rob Monster is known to be a devout Christian, I am now choosing to believe that it was not his intention to offend or hurt anyone & that he doesn't not in anyway endorse or encourage violence & hate.

This is what I do, I look for the good in people. I encourage others to do the same, & I hope they can find it within themselves to forgive & let go

I wish you, your family, Mr Rob Monster & his family all the best.

On the Gab issue, I will not get involved in American politics.

I hope Epik will continue to be one of the top registrars.

Thank you,

Mohammad Shahin

•••
@MS-Domains,

Thank you for being willing to forgive a mistake. It wasn't my mistake, but I'm still going to apologize for it because I'm associated with it. And it pains me to see any discrimination – and above all violence – directed toward muslims, jews, or anybody else.

Epik does have several muslim employees, including 1 from Amman. I remember the city with fondness. أحسن ناس

Personally I find much in Islam to admire. Whenever some ignorant person spreads misinformation about muslims and a supposed "clash of civilizations", I never fail to point out the truth. Christian Europe invaded the muslim world on its "crusades". Meanwhile, christians and jews were protected in the muslim cities as fellow "people of the book": أَهْل اَلْكِتَاب. Indeed, the Qur'an requires tolerance:

لاَ إِكْرَاهَ فِى الدِّينِ

Meaning: "There is no compulsion in religion". Matters of belief should not be forced.

•••
If you'd like to join us in helping the victims, please visit http://Give.Monster to donate. Thank you for your support.

Guys, don't you think it's a bit gross for a registry to be cashing in on this massacre and the scandal? In particular, to use the surname of Epik's CEO in that way? Surely not a coincidence. Of course, you're donating the money. But it is nonetheless a marketing ploy to gain positive exposure for .XYZ in the context of a massacre and a high-traffic NamePros thread.

You could have done this in a context that didn't piggyback on a really unfortunate scandal. And you could have done it in a way that didn't actively promote the new TLD you're selling or further link the name of Epik's CEO to the massacre.

Some people accused Epik of trying to profit off this massacre – which is nonsense, since it has only been a PR disaster that will cost Epik business. But it seems that the XYZ registry is genuinely attempting to profit off the incident, selling its new .XYZ under the guise of philanthropy and at the same time doing so with a personal insult to the CEO of Epik. I should remind you that we sign promo contracts with your registry regularly. Though you may not agree with Rob's decision – as I myself do not – it is surely inappropriate for a company try selling .MONSTER domains by linking that TLD to the surname of a CEO involved in a scandal that pertains to the death of dozens of innocent people.

I see that Epik isn't the only company making bad PR decisions in the context of a mass shooting. Please discontinue using a .MONSTER domain for this unseemly purpose. You can promote your cynical charity drive in some other NamePros thread – without trying to drive buzz here. Really gross, guys. Really gross.

•••
@Slanted
You write very well, and you seem like a decent person. But I think your stint at Epik will be a stain on your CV.
You like long posts, I can summarize it all in a few sentences.
As said before, there is no wall between Epik and the CEO/founder. RM is Epik, Epik is RM.
So what RM does in a personal capacity affects the company as a whole.

Epik is not simply hosting controversial customers, but it has actively sought their business (rather than just let come and tolerate their presence). I wonder why.

Somebody who is adamant about free speech, should help organizations that actually fight against censorship and for free speech. For example I'd rather help outfits like Acccess now, Qurium, Telecomix and the like. Or EDRI, or Privacy International or whatever. There is plenty of choice, I am just quoting a few from the top of my head.
Epik is not reaching out to those groups, but has chosen to pander to a particular segment of the alt-right (broadly speaking).
So this is not a free speech issue here, it is about the pursuance of a political agenda.

Regardless of anyone's intentions, the fact is that Epik hurts people (through statements that are dismissive of other people's sorrow), and it supports people who are dedicated to hurting other people.
Again Epik is not a passive party but is actively abetting those people. The nuance is very important here.

Look, lots of people don't like the alt-right, but they could still brush aside the radical opinions of their registrar's CEO. What people are now thinking, is that if they financially support Epik, then they indirectly contribute to those nefarious groups too. Not everybody is willing to be dragged into some kind of self-defeating crusade. People were looking for a registrar and expecting a business relationship built on certain values. The core registrar activity seems to have taken the back seat.

It's as simple as that.
Actions always carry more weight than words. Words don't kill, but actions can be deadly.
No ifs and buts please.

•••
@Rob Monster,

I read your posts and cant stop scratching my head. 2 questions I have.

1. Don't you have a business to run?
2. Don't you think you need to hire a PR firm to help you deal with the so many fires you seem to be in the middle of?
Rob is doing it the way it should be done. PR firms? Business to run? What are you, kidding me? He is the PR, and this is his business. The way you "think" things should be done, well, you've been brainwashed to believe it so. You should be supporting this type of collaboration between a CEO and regular Joe, urging other companies to follow suite. Rather than hiding behind bogus firms and third party protectionism.

Rob is a trailblazer, and in this era, a refreshing redefinition of connecting to your customers.

•••
Great to see hundreds if not thousands of domains moving to Epik.

Epik has always been solid.

•••
People I really respect are loving Epiks escrow service.

And I hear Epik Name Liquidate is turning drops into cash. Very cool for domainers.

•••
Oops.

Far-Right Platform Gab Has Been Hacked—Including Private Data

The transparency group DDoSecrets says it will make the 70 GB of passwords, private posts, and more available to researchers, journalists, and social scientists.

https://www.wired.com/story/gab-hack-data-breach-ddosecrets/

So much for resilient hosting. SQL injection? This is amateur stuff. The kids want to have their "safe space". But kids are still kids. Sorry to be so blunt. But this is the reality. The utter stupidity of Jan 6 perpetrators to live post their actions just makes the point.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Where did I say he couldn't have different views? I and many others were just pointing out how ridiculous they were.
In that case, why are you and others condemning him?

He has seen video evidence, as others have, that raises questions. Those questions are hard to investigate with no video evidence. That's all. ...Is this a reason to condemn and exile? There has been calls for that, war horns blown, just for having a different view. I find it ironic that the same people calling for respect and tolerance are incapable of showing that when someone does not agree with their views.....The more you condemn, hate and try to exile Rob, the more you show lack of respect and lack of tolerance. Those are the same traits and motivating factors of those that cause mass violence.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back