IT.COM

What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I'm catching the tail end of this, seems to be some kind of controversy...

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/rob-monster-off-twitter-after-christchurch-massacre-controversy/

Must be something odd to evoke this type of a response from one of our members.

Picture0016.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Almost half of our business is outside of the US already, as is most of our staff. Currencies, payment processors, language coverage, and network routing are all being systematically internationalized. In case you missed it, we have more CDN nodes outside of the USA than in the USA.

It is quite obvious that you have remote workers in 3rd world countries for reasons that stand out. But your biggest concern should be to lose the reputation of hosting hate sites.

Last edited:
•••
It is quite obvious that you have remote workers in 3rd world countries for reasons that stand out. But your biggest concern should be to lose the reputation of hosting hate sites.

Quite obvious you are here to shill against Rob

“3rd world countries” is a derogative term.

Last edited:
•••
Quite obvious you are here to shill against Rob

“3rd world countries” is a derogative term.

"3rd world country" is a clearly defined and universally accepted term. Maybe a nicer way to phrase it would be "developing nations". But I'm out. Onward and upward.

•••
Yep, we're in fucked up times, that's for sure. Did it to ourselves though, give credence to many a anonymity voice through digital platforms as if they spoke for the greater good. Too bad the rest of us had a life beyond screens and keyboards.

We've lost sight of what should be taken seriously, and what shouldn't. While Mr. and Mrs. Potato head worry about their gender, as if potatoes give a shit and not to mention there are places on Earth that could use a real potato farm to feed themselves. How about that for a class in school?

Humanity resourcing gone awry.

The times are very unique and certain in the making extremes can provide clarity of thought to what state we are living in.

While you were living and taking care of your responsibilities the world has changed on you?:)

We are lucky the change in the West comes about more in the form of "boiled frog", other places experienced change as a direct result of violence. All centers of influence in our culture advance only leftist ideals, cultural marxism included, so it will always be a difficult struggle of an individual against a collective mob.

This struggle between false reality and truth is ancient. And it is difficult to point to what one can do to create positive change in the world. But awareness is a start and reconnecting with similarly minded people can be of help, this is why free speech and exchange of idea is essential, online and otherwise.

upload_2021-2-28_11-31-11.png

an interesting take on what has taken over the West.
A century of history condensed into 14 minutes:)

Demoralization: What Yuri Bezmenov Didn't Tell You

Last edited:
•••
What brings me purpose and fulfillment in life?:)

upload_2021-2-28_11-54-15.png

•••
Freedom of speech is legal and a basic right. However, if you choose to exercise such a right, you must also accept the consequences. This may include backlash when others find it offensive, lawsuits in the form of defamation (if applicable), and a host of other things both positive and negative. This is the realm of being an adult. As adults we understand that anything we do or say has consequences. Hopefully, as adults, we wield the power of free speech in a mature and wise way. 'Nuff said.
I disagree with the blank check requested of 'accept the consequences', especially as those of the mob involve considerable harm and often illegal and even fatal actions.

•••
Yep, we're in fucked up times, that's for sure.

The times are very unique and certain in the making extremes can provide clarity of thought to what state we are living in.

While you were living and taking care of your responsibilities the world has changed on you?:)

We are lucky the change in the West comes about more in the form of "boiled frog", other places experienced change as a direct result of violence. All centers of influence in our culture advance only leftist ideals, cultural marxism included, so it will always be a difficult struggle of an individual against a collective mob.

This struggle between false reality and truth is ancient. And it is difficult to point to what one can do to create positive change in the world. But awareness is a start and reconnecting with similarly minded people can be of help, this is why free speech and exchange of idea is essential, online and otherwise.

Show attachment 183810

an interesting take on what has taken over the West.
A century of history condensed into 14 minutes:)

Demoralization: What Yuri Bezmenov Didn't Tell You

I said I was out. But I do enjoy intelligently written posts, whether I agree with them or not, I always respect them. And often such posts oblige a cognitive response. I think this is one. Bravo. First off, let me respond to the quote that we are living in F***ed up times. I believe you would think differently if you suddenly woke up in 1918. Yes, many aspects of out times are messed up. But this is the story of human history. No part of history has there not been a F***up. Free speech and exchange of ideas is critical. However, we need to develop critical thinking skills so as not to be easily persuaded into any particular camp and to be able to have a free mind.

Last edited:
•••
I disagree with the blank check requested of 'accept the consequences', especially as those of the mob involve considerable harm and often illegal and even fatal actions.

I was referring to consequences that are legitimate and legal. Nothing extreme or illegal or that can lead to personal harm. This is outside the boundary of a functional society.

Last edited:
•••
Those 60 day locks can be overcome by (1) selling on Epik marketplace or (2) manual override by management.

They are there for a reason, mainly to prevent daisy-chain of fraudulent conveyance of domains that were transferred in error.

We are relatively accommodating in this review. The day you lose a domain by accident, is the day you will appreciate that we actually do it this way. And unlike Godaddy, we are available and reasonable.

I agree it adds an additional level of security. But let's be realistic, most domainers move parts of their portfolio frequently. Whenever it's 'hard' to overcome a lock, that's gonna hold them back using a registrar.

How many people transfer domains in error? I'm sure it happens but can't be happening frequent enough to justify locking it down right?

I would love being able to disable this by default, opt in option for each domain bought, transferred, whatever. Leave it up to the people to decide. Give the option to just NP flagged account, id verified accounts. There are ways.

Personally, when I buy a domain on Epik, that is registered with Epik I see no reason for it to be transfer locked. Usually I have to enter into chat, pray to get the right support guy. Explain the situation. Then they come up with the outdated ICANN regulation. I explain to them that's false, they ask another guy, then tell me to contact Tony. Tony is only human and needs to check things. 2 days later that lock is gone.

Now imagine a private sale to an end user. I sell the domain. I tell them I can push it. They open up an account. I push and the name gets locked. They don't know you, they get the same default ICANN reply. They most probably won't push things to management, take support's word for granted. That makes me as a seller look bad, it makes your company look bad as just about any major registrar simply asks if you want to waive the lock.

Now, all this doesn't really matter when you have a top tier portfolio making the sales that come with it. Buyers like that don't mind (or less). But let's face it, it does matter for the small guy still building up his portfolio/name/reputation. When it comes to small sales, flips, gaining trust matters. Telling buyers they'll have to wait for a lock to get lifted when they're not tech savvy doesn't really build up that confidence. So it's a grievance for sellers as well as it is for buyers.

Look, you seem to be convinced you guys are using the right approach, obviously it's your call. Nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is, you're losing business because of small 'issues' like this. I'm saying small but know plenty of people who have left or refuse to deal with GoDaddy for the very same reason. And their policy is less restrictive.

•••
I said I was out. But I do enjoy intelligently written posts, whether I agree with them or not, I always respect them. And often such posts oblige a cognitive response. I think this is one. Bravo. First off, let me respond to the quote that we are living in F***ed up times. I believe you would think differently if you suddenly woke up in 1918. Yes, many aspects of out times are messed up. But this is the story of human history. No part of history has there not been a F***up. Free speech and exchange of ideas is critical. However, we need to develop critical thinking skills so as not to be easily persuaded into any particular camp and to be able to have a free mind.

If some of those kind words were directed at me then I would like to say thanks.

Waking up anytime suddenly in a different lifetime would be shocking:)
What I am imagining is most classic liberals today would question the changes occurring right now as not being naturally or organically driven out of societal needs but forced top down by authoritarian ideologues, even if supported by every center of cultural influence.
upload_2021-2-28_12-27-39.png

20th century has been extremely violent, a word was invented to describe this particular concept - Democide

Death by Government: Genocide and Mass Murder Since 1900: R. J. Rummel
upload_2021-2-28_12-30-6.png

Last edited:
•••
If some of those kind words were directed at me then I would like to say thanks.

Waking up anytime suddenly in a different lifetime would be shocking:)
What I am imagining is most classic liberals today would question the changes occurring right now as not being naturally or organically driven out of societal needs but forced top down by authoritarian ideologues, even if supported by every center of cultural influence.
Show attachment 183815

20th century has been extremely violent, a word was invented to describe this particular concept - Democide

Death by Government: Genocide and Mass Murder Since 1900: R. J. Rummel
Show attachment 183816

Yes, the kind words were directed at you.

My position has been and always is that whether it is on political or religious grounds, if we divide people into camps then it stifles progress in many ways. I am convinced that there are a lot of liberals and conservatives, for example, that have many ideas in common. But since they feel the need to be labeled as one or the other they are automatically put at odds. This, of course, takes out of the equation the extremist elements on both sides.

Yes, the 20th century has been extremely violent. Mostly due to the development of automatic weapons and the atomic bomb, as well as other war technology. At the same time, the Geneva convention and NATO have kept nations from self-assured annihilation.

I wonder, have you looked into genocides, wars, mass murder throughout the centuries?

•••
The posted above is a provocateur and troll. Since he decided today would be a good day to share more about Epik, I guess I will do so while those who seek drama can follow along. :)

We own many IPv4 and IPv6 ranges. We own them through various legal entities that are controlled by Epik Holdings Inc, of which I am the overwhelming majority shareholder. Example:

Show attachment 183741'

We are the ONLY company in the WHOLE world that is capable of operating the entire tech stack from end to end:

- Registry
- Registrar
- Hosting Provider
- Network Routers and Border Gateway Protocol
- Content Delivery Network
- Denial of Service Mitigation
- Intermedia root certificate authority
- Virtual Private Network

So, yes, resiliency and digital sovereignty are a thing these days. We have it, and we actually sell it. You can have it too -- we sell a full-service solution that is affordable for any serious host.

More details here:

https://bitmitigate.com/sovereign-hosting.html

It is an excellent product. I highly recommend it and we even do 20% finders fees for anyone who wants to bring us new clients who want to be sovereign on the web.

Show attachment 183742

So, plug into Epik. If we agree with your mission, we'll keep you online.

co-location?
why else would you need an EPIC sticker at your server?

•••
•••
•••

Well described.
I'm not so sure that the world has changed more than we are being told that the world has changed. There is a difference. And all I see is smoke and mirrors and as a result more division and confusion than ever in terms of speech expression and exchange of ideas.

The mandate is on the manner and usage, and not the context. So the message and emotion is lost. In my view.

•••
Yes, the kind words were directed at you.

My position has been and always is that whether it is on political or religious grounds, if we divide people into camps then it stifles progress in many ways. I am convinced that there are a lot of liberals and conservatives, for example, that have many ideas in common. But since they feel the need to be labeled as one or the other they are automatically put at odds. This, of course, takes out of the equation the extremist elements on both sides.

Yes, the 20th century has been extremely violent. Mostly due to the development of automatic weapons and the atomic bomb, as well as other war technology. At the same time, the Geneva convention and NATO have kept nations from self-assured annihilation.

I wonder, have you looked into genocides, wars, mass murder throughout the centuries?

What is progress?
In my opinion, life unhindered by violence and coercion and based on voluntary interaction is as good and as natural an experience as it can get:) individual life is fulfilling and has plenty to offer.

This is why I could never be of the left view point because I do not wish to create or give power to a system that will use the power of the state to re-engineer society into something unnatural. Good ideas don't have to be forced on people and voluntary society is ideal.

Labels aren't at all bad if they are accurate, can creates short cuts in conversations. You can correct assumptions anytime.

Wars drive technology which can be used for good and evil.

I have not specifically studied the genocides or mass murder. Democide interested me because it was not an easily understood phenomena, for me at least.

upload_2021-2-28_14-27-12.png

upload_2021-2-28_14-35-11.png

•••
As I've been critical of Epik in my previous posts it's only fair to give a shout out to @Rob Monster to thank him for the assistance in unlocking my domain.

I haven't asked for him to look into it but he tracked down the ticket and got it sorted out.

Greatly appreciated! Thanks!

•••
As I've been critical of Epik in my previous posts it's only fair to give a shout out to @Rob Monster to thank him for the assistance in unlocking my domain.

I haven't asked for him to look into it but he tracked down the ticket and got it sorted out.

Truth be told, I still see most of the chat transcripts. It is a good way to take inventory of (1) which clients we did or did not impress, and (2) where our processes need improvement. On the day I stop doing that, you can bet that the head of operations will be doing it instead. It is essential for keeping it legendary.

•••
What is progress?
In my opinion, life unhindered by violence and coercion and based on voluntary interaction is as good and as natural an experience as it can get:) individual life is fulfilling and has plenty to offer.

This is why I could never be of the left view point because I do not wish to create or give power to a system that will use the power of the state to re-engineer society into something unnatural. Good ideas don't have to be forced on people and voluntary society is ideal.

Labels aren't at all bad if they are accurate, can creates short cuts in conversations. You can correct assumptions anytime.
I can jive with that!

Now we could all just learn how to grow potatoes first, perhaps then we could take the luxury of time to argue about whether potatoes were married, rainbows or binary entities. Or whether they were grown in third-world countries, first world or Timbuktu.

Although I greatly dislike the premise of which the thread began, it has spawned some hard questions and interesting perspectives. Throughout, it has proved resilience and rawness. Something else to be appreciative for. (y)

•••
Why all the personal insults . . . sheesh.

There are plenty of insults in this thread. They are not coming from me. And certainly "sheepish" is not an insult, unless you have amazingly thin skin.

Here are recent comments that are truly insults:

I engage sincere and logical people. I avoid the rest. See Proverbs 9:8 for context.

The posted above is a provocateur and troll.

Sheepish is the most light word you could call someone without being offensive. And the only reason I wrote it is because Rob keeps dodging valid concerns and changing the subject.

Last edited:
•••
There are plenty of insults in this thread. They are not coming from me. And certainly "sheepish" is not an insult, unless you have amazingly thin skin.

Sheepish is the most light word you could call someone without being offensive. And the only reason I wrote it is because Rob keeps dodging valid concerns and changing the subject.
No, not truly insults.

And of course you are trolling him haha

•••

Rob is always kind enough to engage and answer questions but let's be kind in return and let the man work, run his business, enjoy the weekend and the family.

This is not meant to be offensive but it is a strange political climate out there.
Be careful what you advocate or wish for
upload_2021-2-28_22-9-37.png

upload_2021-2-28_22-10-31.png

upload_2021-2-28_22-12-16.png

•••
No, not truly insults.

And of course you are trolling him haha

I really can't argue with you completely. However, if I may counter your point. Trolling, as I see it, is trying to create controversy on social media where there is none. I may be wrong. But I do have a legitimate issue or issues. I do believe. Those issues are shared by many many people on this forum and outside. I think I have exercised a lot of restraint in my expressions. I hope you can give me that. But my efforts to draw out Rob and have him address these issues have clearly failed. All I can say is that if the actions of my company created controversy, I would be very upset and do everything in my power to correct the matter.

I hope that my posts are not interpreted in any way as personal attacks. There are many opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs. This is the glory of free speech.

Last edited:
•••
Rob is always kind enough to engage and answer questions but let's be kind in return and let the man work, run his business, enjoy the weekend and the family.

This is not meant to be offensive but it is a strange political climate out there.
Be careful what you advocate or wish for
Show attachment 183844
Show attachment 183845
Show attachment 183846

Thanks @sonatime.

Thomas Sowell, now at age 90, has produced quite a library of thoughtful commentary.

As for my weekend, I did keep up with this thread in between family commitments, minding Epik, attending church and diving into the works of Thomas Brookes, one of many great Puritan preachers from the 1600's.

Blessings for a great week ahead to all who come into this often thought-provoking thread that never quite seems to end. I am pretty sure @MapleDots had no idea what he would unleash in March 2019. :)

•••
I am pretty sure @MapleDots had no idea what he would unleash in March 2019.

This thread started with a point. It has evolved, gone through loops and valleys. It is quite obvious that @Rob Monster and I have polarizing views. But we are both religious and have strong opinions that don't coincide.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/polarizing

We will not come to an agreement here.

However, there were moments in the conversation that reached the point of intellectual stimuli.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread for intellectual exchange of ideas? Not posts of memes or quotes. But actual discussion.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back