Dynadot

discuss Why Domain Names are Tough to Sell?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Prateek0761

Established Member
Impact
Dear Friends,

I want to know what problems are you facing while selling your domain. May be we can help each other as a group

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Squadhelp, unless of course they used AI to get the kind of exposure needed to sell a name like this
I'm not promoting SH or anyone else, but they do use AI and advertising exposure quite a bit for premium names. They do marketing at I think something like 12 different social sites. They also do retargeting, if someone views the name then Google ads for SH with that name featured show up in the feed (clearly depends on cookie and privacy settings by browser and ad blocking). They also use AI supposedly to choose names to present (I don't think yet very well) and they personalize using AI the presentation of each name. For example, I have a name Ventster with them. If you said you were looking for a social media name, they would describe how it could be built around the idea of expressing opinions and venting. However, if the person said they were looking for a HVAC services, then the description and presentation would stress air quality, venting, etc. And so on. They also will use AI to generate a number of possible brand taglines for that name and again suited to the application of the person searching for a name.

Whether all of this is yet generating more in terms of sell-through rate to justify commission is I think not yet established, but they definitely are spending the marketing dollars and also using AI in many different ways. The categorization, keywords and description are also all done by AI, although the seller can edit or change them.

-Bob

•••
Dear Friends,

I want to know what problems are you facing while selling your domain. May be we can help each other as a group
I have a domain .i want to sell but not getting idea where to sell.

•••
If your domains development potential it will sell.
YOu need to build a 1000+ domains portfolio to get consistency in sales.

•••
In order for a name to be sold, it must meet the following conditions:
- Taking in more than 200 extensions
- Godaddy appraises $10,000 or more
- Less than 10 letter
- Must dictionary word
- No mixing letter/number
- Squadhelp approved
- Brandpa approved
- 20 Years old or more
- Selling price from $5-$100,000
I sold domains that don't meet not a single one of these requirements.

•••
To me, There are 2 BIG problems, making domains hard to sell. But they both can be fixed.

Problem 1. It's very hard to explain to unrelated person(potential buyer) why he or she needs a domain(first domain in his or her life). What is a domain, what advantage give right domain, etc. But it's important!

Problem 2. You need right domain. With market value. That's all.

•••
Because people do not understand their real value. You must have good contact with person and to be the good explainator to explain. How to explain to old man why cars.com costs millions and cars.vc - xxx$? Its hard.

•••
Presupposing you're getting offers on a domain, they're not tough to sell at all. It's only a matter of agreeing on the price.

If you're not getting offers it's for one of three reasons:
  1. Your domains aren't good enough.
  2. Your domains are overpriced.
  3. Your domain portfolio isn't extensive enough.
Exactly!
My domains arent good enough and im dropping most of them
I have dropped the price of them all to $99 and they are starting to sell

•••
Well while not a popular opinion but it has worked for me once,

If you're a developer and can attach a working version of a project relevant to that domain then you can get good offer's and can sell that domain pretty quick,

and yes No Marketing or even SEO Needed,
Just have to make sure that you really have a working version of that particular project deployed on that domain and that usually helps (Atleast did for me)
Do you mean like a blog-type site, or a dummy shop site? Or just a single landing page? Is the return you received worth the time you put into the site/s, in your opinion? It has been something I was thinking about before I found this thread, but one concern was how much/time effort it would take being worth the return, the other concern was were would you then sell the domain with attached site?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back