IT.COM

question Would selling a domain name still in 60 day lock be a deal breaker for end users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

peace800

Established Member
Impact
If you start doing outbound on a domain still within the 60 day transfer period and you then tell the end user that they would have to create an account at your registrar in order to have it pushed before then, would this put them off?

Is it better to promote the domain after 60 days?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I say do it from day one. I have never had an issue getting a customer to set up a registrar account. Plus push is instant rather than waiting for transfers to go through.

•••
I weigh in with those who say wait the 60 days before outbound. Even though setting up a free account on a registrar is not a big deal, and they can easily transfer it from there to another account if they want later, I think for those not technically inclined it is a roadblock (particularly if the registrar is not one of the big retail ones like GoDaddy and Namecheap).

I often list a domain name on the registrar marketplace during the first 60 days, since a sale there is not an issue, but I do not list it on Undeveloped or Afternic etc. until the 60 days is up.

Sold a name for 2,500 at afternic 20 days after getting it from closeouts. No outbound. Buyer, per gd, wants to transfer out. They are willing to wait it out. Still 4 weeks to go.

So, it is always good idea to list right away.

•••
In past 2 months I have sold 4 names that were still in lock. Undeveloped is the answer to your worries as they take possession of the name and release funds, that said I have had several deals hit a halt or break due to technicalities over transferring and 60 days lock only adds up to it.

•••
In past 2 months I have sold 4 names that were still in lock. Undeveloped is the answer to your worries as they take possession of the name and release funds, that said I have had several deals hit a halt or break due to technicalities over transferring and 60 days lock only adds up to it.
Well, I just sold a domain on Undeveloped five minutes ago. After agreeing to the price I sent them an email saying it was at NetSol and has 2 weeks left to the lock. I will report back progress so others can see how it goes.

What is weird is that I could turn off the lock and request the auth code. So I unlocked it but not sure it will transfer or UnD will pull/push.

Last edited:
•••
Well, I just sold a domain on Undeveloped five minutes ago. After agreeing to the price I sent them an email saying it was at NetSol and has 2 weeks left to the lock. I will report back progress so others can see how it goes.

What is weird is that I could turn off the lock and request the auth code. So I unlocked it but not sure it will transfer or UnD will pull/push.

In your reply to UD, ask them to please initiate pull and they will do so, I have closed quite a few deals this way in last month or two, the process for most part has been flawless.

•••
I have told lots of buyers to open an account and pushed the domain to them. It's usually no big deal. They can always transfer anywhere they want after 60 days and have control of the domain immediately anyway.
and how you get payment

•••
If you start doing outbound on a domain still within the 60 day transfer period and you then tell the end user that they would have to create an account at your registrar in order to have it pushed before then, would this put them off?

Is it better to promote the domain after 60 days?

I have sold over 1500 domains via Outbound...

I would answer your question in just 1 line...

Always wait for 60 days transfer lock to be over before doing outbound.

•••
If I put myself in the position of the buyer. I hate to be told the domain is still under registration lock, and cannot be transferred to Dynadot immediately. I'd probably pass. But I am not some regular joe. There are many other opportunities. It would need to be a red>white hot domain for me to accept a push at some other registrar, known or unknown. Which I would not expect from somebody peddling a domain by outbound.

•••
The few outbound sales I've made were actually all, or almost all of them, within the 60 days period... and it didn't even occur to me to mention it to the buyers in advance.. I only told them I needed them to have/create accounts at those registrars after we had agreed on a price, and even then I didn't mention the transfer lock, nor did they ask any questions. My sample size is pretty small though...
How do you do payment/escrow within the 60 day lockup period?

•••
How do you do payment/escrow within the 60 day lockup period?
Even if you can't unlock for transfer, you can push within the same registrar and I've sold like this at least on Dan (idk if still possible) and Escrow.com

•••
Even if you can't unlock for transfer, you can push within the same registrar and I've sold like this at least on Dan (idk if still possible) and Escrow.com
So if I register on Porkbun and list on Dan, and the click "Buy Now," do they send their funds to Dan's escrow or do I set up the transaction at Escrow.com and instruct them to set up an account at Porkbun for me to push the domain once Escrow.com receives their funds (leaving Dan out of the picture)?

Sorry, have accumulated domains for year but never actually sold any.

•••
So if I register on Porkbun and list on Dan, and the click "Buy Now," do they send their funds to Dan's escrow or do I set up the transaction at Escrow.com and instruct them to set up an account at Porkbun for me to push the domain once Escrow.com receives their funds (leaving Dan out of the picture)?

Sorry, have accumulated domains for year but never actually sold any.

If the buyer initiates on Dan, everything must be done through Dan.
You may want to ask Dan support about 60 day lock.

•••
If the buyer initiates on Dan, everything must be done through Dan.
You may want to ask Dan support about 60 day lock.
Thank you. I've been listing on Dan, Afternic, and Sedo. Haven't had any bites yet. I guess selling within 60 days was wishful thinking. Hopefully I get some sales soon!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back