IT.COM

discuss .xyz reserving almost all single English word domains to registry upon drop

NameSilo
Watch

Namefy.com

Upgraded Member
Impact
I have noticed all single english domains I backorder with .xyz extension are now being reserved to the .xyz registry. Something def smells fishy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dot-one did it too, or made them premium. They basically relied on domainers to figure what's what.

Nothing fishy, just business.

•••
i used to own some FN xyz domains and got dropped, checked again and it shows reserved by the registry.

example: nadya.xyz , sakti.xyz , andri.xyz

•••
u mean reserved as in just putting a premium tag on it? well... not all do it... not io...but co did it... all 4l.co too etc

•••
dot-one did it too, or made them premium. They basically relied on domainers to figure what's what.

hmmm bc they do that with .coms all the time .. right?

•••
I have noticed all single english domains I backorder with .xyz extension are now being reserved to the .xyz registry. Something def smells fishy.
Hi

the ability for the registry to hold any name and sell it as premium with regular renewal fee,
is some fishy bull :poop: in itself.

they've been doing it for so long, that's it's become the standard sop for registrars and registries alike.

to me, it's an attempt to simulate an illusion of value.
but the result may be a decline in registrations and backorders.

imo...

i used to own some FN xyz domains and got dropped, checked again and it shows reserved by the registry.

example: nadya.xyz , sakti.xyz , andri.xyz
Hi

i see sakti.xyz is premium priced @ $1,000 on dynadot with regular renewal fee.

such pricing doesn't make much sense, if/when the domain didn't sell previously for any amount.

imo....

•••
•••
hmmm bc they do that with .coms all the time .. right?
Well, .COM is not owned by Verisign. They are merely operating it under (no-bid) contract.

New extensions are owned by various companies and have different rules.

The .COM registry will reclaim 2 character domains if they drop, but they won't become available.

.XYZ and others have premium registration and/or renewal fees. They keep almost anything good at this point, and then slap a premium price on it.

It is a real turnoff when it comes to domain investment.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Brad
exactly. We have stated this for years on end, with new Gtlds.

•••
Well, .COM is not owned by Verisign. They are merely operating it under (no-bid) contract.

The .COM registry will reclaim 2 character domains if they drop, but they won't become available.

.XYZ and others have premium registration and/or renewal fees. They keep almost anything good at this point, and then slap a premium price on it.

Brad
almost as bad as the intro registration prices and then jacking up the renewal pricing regularly because their total registrations drop off.

It's a serious risk investing in a good tld name because who the heck knows what the renewal fee will be in 5 or 10 years.

•••
good luck xyz getting good names with dngear having 20k of em bahahahha

•••
almost as bad as the intro registration prices and then jacking up the renewal pricing regularly because their total registrations drop off.

It's a serious risk investing in a good tld name because who the heck knows what the renewal fee will be in 5 or 10 years.
To be fair, haven't ever had active registrations increased in pricing. Only after letting them go.

•••
•••
•••
Don't you worry about these names, soon we'll see them ''sold'' by ''Swetha''...

•••

Brad
The same thing was happening @ .LINK. When the S.O.B's there realized I was registering good names cheap before they had a chance to reprice and keep them for themselves, they tried to discourage me from registering any more. I thought they were a cut above Go Daddy, but it turns out they're scumbags too:xf.eek:

•••
The same thing was happening @ .LINK. When the S.O.B's there realized I was registering good names cheap before they had a chance to reprice and keep them for themselves, they tried to discourage me from registering any more. I thought they were a cut above Go Daddy, but it turns out they're scumbags too:xf.eek:
What method were they using to discourage the domain purchases?

•••
They're going to be added to the premium listings and the registration and renewal fees will be substantially higher. Depending on the word it could be as much as $1,000/year (maybe more).

i see sakti.xyz is premium priced @ $1,000 on dynadot with regular renewal fee.

such pricing doesn't make much sense, if/when the domain didn't sell previously for any amount.
$1,000 is a standard listing price.

What's the point of buying a domain and then renew it for a few years ($10/year) if you're going end up selling it for $100?

Last edited:
•••
What method were they using to discourage the domain purchases?
Oh they were subtle about, but it was pretty clear to me when they discovered i was registering hundreds of otherwise premium domains for just a few bucks, they didn't like it a bit. I know why now because I was beating them at their own game. I do recall having a few email exchanges with them about it and I'll try to dig them up and share them. Thanks:xf.wink:

•••

Yep. Dot co are the worst - they snap up anything reggedin over 5 extensions (no matter how mediocre) and slap on a premium price.

Despite this, sales still come nowhere near to .org /net (never mind com).

•••
.xyz just was the hype that almost now dead.
I bought many .xyz last year and not sell a single xyz and 90% dropped this year..
First they did .co and doing .xyz lol

•••
.xyz just was the hype that almost now dead.
I bought many .xyz last year and not sell a single xyz and 90% dropped this year..
First they did .co and doing .xyz lol
yeah, hopefully I was not largely exposed to that scam. I bought 60 XYZs, dropped 30 without renewing , will drop another 15 by the end of the year. Well done, Swetha, for selling hope. I suspect many domainers lost a lot of money buying junk xyz assets even at 1 buck. Especially, kids lost their pocket money. Sad.

Last edited:
•••

Brad
Yep. I could've regged ArabEmirates.xyz, but snoozed. Next thing I find is the name is 'registry reserved'.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back