NameSilo

Yet another Registrar trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Just got off chat with @hostgator. I plan on transferring to them since they gave me a good deal on transfers. Then I asked the chat rep what the rules were for @hostgator as far as transferring domains out when they expire.

At one point she said there was a 30 day grace period after expiration. then next she tells me that once a domain expires I would not be able to get auth codes or unlock domains.

So I asked. what if I got the auth codes prior to expiration and unlocked them too prior to expiration? when the domain expires can I order a transfer out for the domain to another registrar using the auth codes I got prior to expiration? and since I had unlocked the domain prior to expiration? Shouldn't I be able to transfer out my domains?

She said NO. The domain would need to be renewed first before being able to be transferred out. Defeats the purpose.

Doesn't ICANN have uniform rules across the board that all these Registrars have to follow?

So basically. at Hostgator. Once a domain expires they don't follow ICANN rules as far as expired domains?

Basically Expired domains in effect become automatically redemption domains since you can't transfer them out even though the domain is unlocked and you have the auth codes?

She called the 30 day period after expiration "Grace Renewal". Is this correct? Never heard of this. Tried to put that in the tags below and nothing popped up as a suggestion.

anyone from @hostgator can chime in on this? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just got off chat with @hostgator. I plan on transferring to them since they gave me a good deal on transfers. Then I asked the chat rep what the rules were for @hostgator as far as transferring domains out when they expire.

At one point she said there was a 30 day grace period after expiration. then next she tells me that once a domain expires I would not be able to get auth codes or unlock domains.

So I asked. what if I got the auth codes prior to expiration and unlocked them too prior to expiration? when the domain expires can I order a transfer out for the domain to another registrar using the auth codes I got prior to expiration? and since I had unlocked the domain prior to expiration? Shouldn't I be able to transfer out my domains?

She said NO. The domain would need to be renewed first before being able to be transferred out. Defeats the purpose.

Doesn't ICANN have uniform rules across the board that all these Registrars have to follow?

So basically. at Hostgator. Once a domain expires they don't follow ICANN rules as far as expired domains?

Basically Expired domains in effect become automatically redemption domains since you can't transfer them out even though the domain is unlocked and you have the auth codes?

She called the 30 day period after expiration "Grace Renewal". Is this correct? Never heard of this. Tried to put that in the tags below and nothing popped up as a suggestion.

anyone from @hostgator can chime in on this? Thanks.
Hostgator is more of ISP than a registrar. Bear that in mind.
From the context, "Grace Renewal" should be something close to renewal at regular price during the grace period without penalty fee, unlike during redemption period. IMO.
Ask her to clarify.

•••
Hostgator is more of ISP than a registrar. Bear that in mind.
From the context, "Grace Renewal" should be something close to renewal at regular price during the grace period without penalty fee, unlike during redemption period. IMO.
Ask her to clarify.

yea well already left the chat. I'll call tomorrow. Already have a bad feeling about this company. I kept asking her to clarify and the gist was that there was no way to transfer a domain once it has expired.

same goes with transferring domains to hostgator. if the domain has expired at the losing registrar. Their system won't allow it to be transferred.

•••
As a hosting company Hostgator went down the toilet when they got taken over by notorious EIG, and their support tanked. I would not want to use them for anything.

•••
As a hosting company Hostgator went down the toilet when they got taken over by notorious EIG, and their support tanked. I would not want to use them for anything.
I left them for same reason. Woeful support. It can take up to a week before you get response to request for urgent assistance.

•••

Yes.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

3.7 Upon denying a transfer request for any of the following reasons, the Registrar of Record must provide the Registered Name Holder and the potential Gaining Registrar with the reason for denial. The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

3.7.1 Evidence of fraud.

3.7.2 Reasonable dispute over the identity of the Registered Name Holder or Administrative Contact.

3.7.3 No payment for previous registration period (including credit card charge-backs) if the domain name is past its expiration date or for previous or current registration periods if the domain name has not yet expired. In all such cases, however, the domain name must be put into "Registrar Hold" status by the Registrar of Record prior to the denial of transfer.

3.7.4 Express objection to the transfer by the authorized Transfer Contact. Objection could take the form of specific request (either by paper or electronic means) by the authorized Transfer Contact to deny a particular transfer request, or a general objection to all transfer requests received by the Registrar, either temporarily or indefinitely. In all cases, the objection must be provided with the express and informed consent of the authorized Transfer Contact on an opt-in basis and upon request by the authorized Transfer Contact, the Registrar must remove the lock or provide a reasonably accessible method for the authorized Transfer Contact to remove the lock within five (5) calendar days.

3.7.5 The transfer was requested within 60 days of the creation date as shown in the registry Whois record for the domain name.

3.7.6 A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs). "Transferred" shall only mean that an inter-registrar transfer has occurred in accordance with the procedures of this policy.

Basically they can't force you to renew before transfer and they can't say no to transfer. But you could spend a lot of time and effort quoting ICANN to them to force them to comply.

Last edited:
•••
Yes.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

Basically they can't force you to renew before transfer and they can't say no to transfer. But you could spend a lot of time and effort quoting ICANN to them to force them to comply.

so... I'm right then? Even though they said what they said. The rule is I should still be able to transfer a domain out once it has expired. correct?

So whom should I bring this up with ICANN or Hostgator? It's obvious either these online chat people don't know or are trained to lie. maybe to keep people's domains? I don't know.

•••
that's common with a lot of registars

like namesilo
like epik

•••
So whom should I bring this up with ICANN or Hostgator?

As said, you would quote ICANN to get Hostgator to comply and if they said no, you would make a formal complaint to ICANN via the ICANN website. But as @Josytal said, HG support can take a week to reply, and they may have no idea what they are doing, like the person on chat. I would just avoid the whole thing and not use Hostgator. Some registrars do deliberately make it hard to transfer out, that can waste a lot of time.

Formal complaints to ICANN could result in a registrar losing their ICANN accreditation, which is serious.

Last edited:
•••
that's common with a lot of registars

like namesilo
like epik

yea never dealt with Epik yet. but I am with namesilo now. The annoying thing with Namesilo is that their downloadable excel sheet for all my domains with auth codes.

if the auth codes have a common in front of the auth codes it throws off the columns. and then the auth codes are wrong.

The trick as I was told is to add a common in front or remove it. and it worked perfectly. what the heck?

This "occassionally" happens during transfers. Most times I cancel transfer and am forced to renew the domain. Pretty slick way to keep the money with Namesilo.

and yes after a domain expires all functionality including being able to unlock a domain or get auth codes is deactivated.

•••
Just transfer before they expire. Problem solved.

•••

yes a problem you don't have
can be quoted as "solved"
but it doesn't solve a problem
you have

•••
ummm just got this offer their redemption explainer page.

https://www.hostgator.com/help/article/domain-redemption-explained

More information is available from ICANN's official website. Here are some relevant articles you may find helpful:
I mean it seems they should know the lifecycle of a domain given that they provided the links above to ICANN's lifecycle chart.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-lifecycle-2012-02-25-en

•••
yes a problem you don't have
can be quoted as "solved"
but it doesn't solve a problem
you have

Lol, you're right about that :) But seriously, going with HostGator and trying to transfer out expired domains? That's basically creating your own problem. But you know, for those who want to try... YOLO.

•••

Of course that's the answer. but I'm a huge procrastinator. and more of a "worse case scenario" worry wart.

Always know what your getting yourself into before jumping into anything. Plus always KNOW YOUR EXITS.

Good rule of thumb in life.

•••
Lol, you're right about that :) But seriously, going with HostGator and trying to transfer out expired domains? That's basically creating your own problem. But you know, for those who want to try... YOLO.

yea. I don't know if it's worth saving 20% off of $7.95 transfers.

•••

It's most probably not. Keep an eye out on the Epik happy hour thread.

Epik may be a good fit and you'll know for sure issues get solved once shit hits the fan. Not sure about their policy on transferring out expired names though.

•••
how much are the expected transfers on there?

•••

epik has the same procedure with expired domains
after you miss the time frame
they set them "for sale"

•••

Depends, they discount NP/domainer accounts. I'm just shamelessly plugging them here :) Reach out to @Rob Monster and he'll most definitely give you accurate info and set you up with a NP account.

•••
its typical business practice. Its like a fee for letting it expire. They want money first then they will help you.
Look at Pizza delivery, they all have a delivery fee now also. Just another practice done across the board to help you in a dire expired moment.

Kinda like price gouging in storms and stuff.

•••
Make your life simple...forget the gator and reg/trans to Epik. There are insanely good deals there now (thanks to alot of domainers here) until the end of September.

•••
Wow! That's a lot!
If converted to Zimbabwean dollars.

•••
... once a domain expires I would not be able to get auth codes or unlock domains....

Haven't used Hostgator but when I call and explain the actual rules, I've always received the auth code and domain was unlocked.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back