Domain Empire

Afternic announces parked domain PPC revenue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here's an excerpt from our last email to members about our new PPC revenue sharing program...

We pay generous commissions, but most commissions are paid to sellers when they refer the buyer of their own domain. We realize that many domains on Afternic are still waiting for the right offer and these unsold parked domains are often not earning any revenue for their owners. This is about to change. Getting paid to park your domains at Afternic will include Pay Per Click (PPC) revenue starting February 1st.

Our new Paid Parking program will offer very generous click revenue that will vary depending on the keywords associated with your domain. Afternic is sharing 50% of gross PPC revenue with our members who park their domains with Afternic. We are creating brand new parked pages that are optimized for PPC revenue. Appropriate revenue producing links will be shown on your parked pages based on keywords assigned to your domain name to increase click rate. You can see an example at www.AntiqueStore.us. Assigning keywords for all parked domains is starting now with the highest traffic domains and will probably continue beyond February 1st.

You will still increase your chances to sell your domain by parking it on our For Sale parked pages, but you will now earn more while waiting for your domain to sell. When your domain does sell, you earn a commission if you refer the buyer from your parked page. Our affiliate program still pays a commission if you refer the buyer of another member’s domain, too. We show Closing Soon and Showcase listings on the parked pages to increase your chances of earning an Afternic affiliate commission. We are changing our affiliate commission rate to 25% for transactions that close after February 1st. The original commission rate was intended to be a short-term introductory rate, but we decided many months ago to extend the introductory commission rate until we could offer PPC revenue.

More details will follow as available.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How will this compare to sedo's well paying program?

•••
shouldnt this go in industry news?

•••
no
robert is advertising his site
(afternic)

•••
Oh, I didnt know it was his. Sorry bout that. Looking good.

•••
We do not know how it compares to Sedo's program. Should be similar.

•••
profit wise..
Roger it would be nice to talk domains sometime

aim =
nametower aim

msn =
[email protected]

Hope to speak soon.

•••
For the basic Afternic service, was wondering :
if you are a member can you list multiple domains ?
Secondly, can you remove one of your listed domains at any time if you desire and is the removal done by request or can the member do it themselves?

•••
probably i will wait for someone to comment about the revenue before goign try...

•••
rak, yes, members can list as many domains as they like for free. You can remove them anytime (as long as you have not set a reserve price or asking price and receive an offer that binds you to sell).

Here's a little longer answer to the first question.

We will be working to optimize the revenue, but we don't have the information with which we can compare to other programs. I said it should be similar because I think we're doing basically the same thing. We negotiate the best we can with advertising networks and then split our gross revenue with the member who lists the domain 50-50.

One thing we do that I think is unique for parked domains is we pay 25% commissions on aftermarket sales and memberships as well as PPC. If your domain refers an Exchange Member, you receive 25% of the membership fee. You also receive 25% of any sales fees generated by the buyers you refer. (For example, if your domain refers a member who buys a $2000 domain, you receive 25% of our 10% sales fee, so your commission would be $50 for that sale.) This part of the revenue will likely be larger than the PPC revenue, but it usually goes to the seller of the domain that made the referral for the sale of his own domain - an effective 25% reduction in the sales fee.

•••
Sounds like a great program Roger, many will be able to make some money now with PPC and still stay listed on afternic.com.

P.S. A lttile off topic, your services and web-site are excellent of course, but I am wondering why the minimum allowed bid price is always high? Many times I was thinking about buying a listed name but decided to not bother due to the high min bid pricing.

Seems like most all names I am interested in on your site are mid-to high-3 figure minimum offers, and always are too high for me. I.E. Min offer say $500 but I wanted to bid say $200 or so.

Just as a suggestion it would be nice if the min price was only a "suggested min price" but you also permitted a lower offer to be made. I know I would have bidded on a number of names at afternic (and probably ended up buying them) rather than never buying a name if you had that in effect.

•••
Perhaps Roger missed this last post?

•••
RealNames, I may have misunderstood so excuss me if I did. If it's what I think you're refering to the seller sets the minimum price not Afternic.

Afternic does have a minimum list price of $75 but if you sold any lower than that you wouldn't make anything because there's a $60 escrow fee that the seller must pay.

•••
Hmm, I did miss that post. JoltHost is right. We do not control the min. offer amounts.

•••
Oh, what I meant to say is out of all the hundreds of listings I have seen at AN I never saw any which allowed for offers, they were always a fixed asking price, often a high price too..

Due to that I assumed AN did not give the option of selecting "make an offer" to sellers but required them to use a fixed price. Is that incorrect?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back