Dynadot

poll Are you spending less or more on acquisitions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Compared to a year ago, is your total dollar spend on domain acquisitions going up or down?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • spending more now

votes
    32.4%
  • about the same

votes
    12.4%
  • spending less now than a year ago

votes
    38.2%
  • not acquiring anything at all any more

votes
    17.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I am trying to get a handle on whether various factors have influenced the acquisition practices of domain investors. If you have been in domain investing for more than a year, please vote.

Note that I am asking about the total amount of your acquisition spend, not the price per name, or the number of domain names being bought.

Feel free to comment in the discussion on how your acquisitions are changing, for example same total dollars but fewer, better domain names.

Thank you in advance.

-Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Spending less than a year ago now mainly because I've invested tons of money in building the portfolio of 9,100+ domains which took more than a decade to build. Also less than 1% of my domains are hand registered.

It's the time to make some sales and save some money than to keep investing almost all the money back into buying/renewing domains for the last at least 10 years.
I sold some domains in the last few days for $4950, $1950, and $595.

Then bought (1) for $1000 and (2) for $500-$600 each then a few cheaper closeouts.

I used to reinvest nearly every dollar, but I don't find as many appealing options lately.

Brad

•••
I sold some domains in the last few days for $4950, $1950, and $595.

Then bought (1) for $1000 and (2) for $500-$600 each then a few cheaper closeouts.

I used to reinvest nearly every dollar, but I don't find as many appealing options lately.

Brad

Thanks for sharing your experience.

That's one of the reasons for many as well that not many good opportunities coming in their way due to highly inflated auction prices which doesn't make sense to buy domains.

•••
Less. I'm buying only names I would use to name my own company.

•••
I'm investing significantly more now than I have in years.

Primary Driving Factors:

Incorporating Generative AI content into my domains has dramatically increased traffic and my IP asset portfolio.

The new, non-web dependent, domain field of (internet protocol) radio and TV sub-channel 'Datacasting'.

•••
About the same or a bit more, but I'm also being far more careful about what I buy and continually raising my baseline standards.

•••
continually raising my baseline standards.
That's really critical to building a successful domain portfolio. Thanks for mentioning it! I do the same and it's working well.

•••
I'm spending less because they generally cost more and it's harder to sell them at a profit lately.

•••
Spending a lot more. I think most investors go through ebbs and flows which often has no connection with the external environment.

•••
Not buying, but selling in loss 🤣

•••
I’m buying a lot, I feel like I see gold in so many but I’m probably wrong. I don’t gamble, but domains got me spending. I do buy them with specific functions in mind but I have no clue how to market them, obviously here, Reddit, but my exp on the websites is that they don’t really get any traffic. So if I continue how I am, I will be at a loss for sure once the years up.

•••
I'm not buying more domains. I'm renewing two and I dropped two.

•••
Spending less than a year ago now mainly because I've invested tons of money in building the portfolio of 9,100+ domains which took more than a decade to build. Also less than 1% of my domains are hand registered.

It's the time to make some sales and save some money than to keep investing almost all the money back into buying/renewing domains for the last at least 10 years.
People are still paying a lot of money for domain names? Or by the contrary, have you seen a drop in purchases?

•••
People are still paying a lot of money for domain names? Or by the contrary, have you seen a drop in purchases?
People are paying in auctions more than ever. Also I haven't seen any drops in purchases. Crazy bidding wars going on all over the auction houses.

•••
People are paying in auctions more than ever. Also I haven't seen any drops in purchases. Crazy bidding wars going on all over the auction houses.
Interesting. For curiosity: how long does it take for you to sell a domain after you buy it?

•••
2022 , year of divestation
2023 year of restructuring portofolio and observe the market..

so the fourth choice is my personal preference.

•••
Interesting. For curiosity: how long does it take for you to sell a domain after you buy it?
No fix time at all. Rarely within 24 hours and mostly years.

•••
•••
I have been letting my portfolio dwindle over the years. Hadn't bought much if anything, until this year. I bought a lot this year and reloaded my portfolio with some new names. We shall see if it means more revenue (or losses). Jury is still out

•••
I am spending less now because it really hasn't worked out well for me.
I would recommend to read ebook and to connect with top domainers and learn from the best to be a better domain investor.

•••
I've been spending more and more this year, specially after the .ai domain got booming, love .com & .ai domains only.

•••
2022 , year of divestation
2023 year of restructuring portofolio and observe the market..

so the fourth choice is my personal preference.
2024 year of growth and success & big money revenue, trust me.

•••
I honestly feel like we may need a fresh thread to re-take this poll. In my experience, the cost of acquisition has actually gone down quite a bit whereas it was the opposite for me when I first voted on this thread.

•••
I honestly feel like we may need a fresh thread to re-take this poll. In my experience, the cost of acquisition has actually gone down quite a bit whereas it was the opposite for me when I first voted on this thread.
Where are you finding prices dropping? Are you finding less competition in auctions or have you switched acquisition styles?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back