topdom

Top Member
Impact
Here is an idea
(not an original one).

I create a "one page" site.

People visit a domain, that domain is redirected to that site,
that page has the same content whatever the domain, except,
that domain name appears on the landing page and in the title, or maybe also in the url.
(better if I can customize further.)
No problem with resolving, and safe against ddos etc.

People can send me a message via email (form-mail)
(better also if I can also reply using the site)
they would provide their contact info, and I would also get their IP.
A chat option can be a bonus (online or offline).

Any such service? There must be lots of free services somewhere.
I prefer services which don't invest in domains.
No FB or linked in, or twitter.
No service requiring id, phone call, installing app etc.

(Here by cost, I don't mean money (only).
I mean, time, protection, avoiding headache,
looks, usefulness,..)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here is an idea
(not an original one).

that domain name appears on the landing page and in the title, or maybe also in the url.

looks, usefulness,..)
You can always use efty?

•••
Thanks for great responses. Most are too high tech for me (so requires too much time). People mentioned Efty and Dnhat. Anything to say about these, and comparison, would be great.
I would prefer a nondomain service. For example FB offers free pages, but I just dislike FB, and not trust it
although I don't expect arbitrage there.

(all marketplaces are trying to be evil, instead of being competitive (applying bad side of capitalism, instead of good side of it)).

So what's your problem with the Squadhelp standard listings for 7.5% commission (and no monthly fee) which includes the payment processing fees? Read more here: https://helpdesk.squadhelp.com/en/articles/4466451-what-are-standard-and-premium-listings

If you implemented this on your own, just the payment processing fees would cost you 3-5%, plus your other expenses.

•••
I prefer to complete sale through marketplace of my choice.. And the first step is establishing a communication channel with the potential buyer (independent of any service), and knowing something about the buyer; so future discussion will be possible, manipulations by others can be reversed, I can know if the buyer is serious..

I prefer to sell at registrar level, sell at epik, if domain is at epik, sell at dynadot if domain is at dynadot ..
(mls/dsl equally good, of the system is trustable enough; for example cancelling is not easy)
why, not because of commission...Afternic/Sedo/Dan could be great in theory, because our domains could be visible at many registrars, but when we add price, if domain is not sold until expiration, and "sells" after expiration, we will be responsible for consequences..and marketplaces would enjoy preventing sales, because they control the lead, and wait until domain expires, and dropcatch etc. Marketplaces would try to use other marketplaces for arbitrage purposes, and in the process transfer part of the lead.. Sellers would be victim of all these dirty games, but if sellers know who the buyer is, all such things can be avoided with reverse tricks.

And while registrars/marketplaces are applying their tricks, they can easily screw things up, and contradict themselves, and buyers would lose trust in this industry (registrar. marketplace, owner...) and decide not to buy at any cost.

There are infinitely many possibilities, but not knowing something about the buyer or the lead, would be
a lose-lose scenario for the seller in all cases.

I can invent a fair model for all, but I don't think fairness is a priortiy for marketplaces at all.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I mean,.. there is a lead, and the actual buyer is willing to pay a nice amount, but because I'm dealing with an agent who controls the lead and trying to secure the lowest price on sellers side I can't sell. Not only this, for example there are lots of unpaid sales.. Say, I sell for 200, but the buyer doesn't pay, but still someone dropcatches it after drop. "Noone forcing you to drop": if things are so simple then arbitrage and shillbidding can be justified as well : nooone forcing you to pay/sell at an amount not acceptable to you.

•••
Maybe create a page in 10 minutes
Buyers won't trust your spammy-looking site made in 10 minutes, so they won't buy from you. They will buy the domain on a trusted site, such as GoDaddy or Sedo.

I wouldn't even fill in your suspicious form, since it looks like you don't care about privacy (GDPR, CCPA etc.), since in 10 minutes it is impossible to implement a proper privacy policy.

•••
I mean,.. there is a lead, and the actual buyer is willing to pay a nice amount, but because I'm dealing with an agent who controls the lead and trying to secure the lowest price on sellers side I can't sell. Not only this, for example there are lots of unpaid sales.. Say, I sell for 200, but the buyer doesn't pay, but still someone dropcatches it after drop. "Noone forcing you to drop": if things are so simple then arbitrage and shillbidding can be justified as well : nooone forcing you to pay/sell at an amount not acceptable to you.

I set a fixed price for each domain and leave no room for negotations. If there is nothing to negotiate on behalf of you or by you, marketplaces, potential buyers, watchers could do nothing dirty.

As to the main topic, I would advise shared hosting for those who is unable to manage servers.

•••
•••
We can't add fixed prices because

1. We won't know if there is a serious buyer who can pay at most half of our asking price (and bring some liquidity)
2. We would have to sell our deleted domains, because we can't remove them from marketplaces fast enough when expired
3. And sometimes actual endusers may never know we have fixed price, for example we list at AN, and endusers go to GD, but they can't see our priced domains,.. agents see the price, and although our price may be cheap for endusers, they can be expensive for agents/flippers/"investors". AN can keep a domain "under review" forever. You can't challenge them. Even after responding to a price request, your price may not be seen by anyone. If there is a contradiction, marketplaces/agents would prefer to kill a sale, and erase all evidence instead of fixing "misunderstandings" and making a reasonable sale possible, meanwhile keeping the lead for themselves, and use it for dropcatching, or grabbing after expiration.

Tons of possibilities.

Shillbidding is ethical (and can't be prevented), arbitrage is not.

Why is shillbidding ethical (compared to arbitrage), because
you own the domain, you can prevent it from being sold to someone
below a certain amount (and for fairness, bidders should be aware of this possibility).

In arbitrage people try to make money (well above a reasonable commission, which can be 5 percent or 50 percent)
by selling someone else's domain, and in many cases either scam sellers, or prevent sales.
(there are fair arbitrage possibilities also, if there is no abuse of power, for example someone visits your registrar to
buy a domain, you see it listed at a fixed price elsewhere, and buy it and then sell ).

Last edited:
•••
I didn't mean setting fixed prices at marketplaces though it would not make things very complicated. As the topic is about landing pages, I mean having a fixed price in mind for direct sales. I would set BIN prices at AN and would offer a little lower to people who ask price via email. You have to remove domains marketplaces in time. If you can't, then just remove BIN. You can add and remove prices anytime.

^1. We won't know if there is a serious buyer who can pay at most half of our asking price (and bring some liquidity)

You shouldn't act based on possibilities of a single buyer. If you think the domain has only 1 potential buyer, you are usually wrong. If you aren't wrong on that then you aren't good at choosing good domains. If the domain has only 1 buyer, ask him how much he offers, don't tell him your price first. However you need to have a fixed price in mind and the point where you stop. Ideally you should hold domains with multiple potential buyers.

•••
This is an interesting thread and some of the responses are very information but I read the OP twice and couldn't understand what's the purpose of doing all this. As I understood here is what you want:

1. User types "example.com"
2. It redirects to "myownwebsite.com" which displays Example in title and other places and possibly in URL
3. The page has a contact form and other info for communication and a chatbox

What are you trying to achieve? You want to avoid paying commission by not listing domains on marketplace?

•••
Actually, a custom webserver designed particularly for this task, using a fixed pool of threads and a large one would be best. I've written webservers at some point in time BTW, so I do know some stuff.
If your portfolio was only a tad smaller you could serve it from CPU cache entirely.

•••
This is an interesting thread and some of the responses are very information but I read the OP twice and couldn't understand what's the purpose of doing all this. As I understood here is what you want:

1. User types "example.com"
2. It redirects to "myownwebsite.com" which displays Example in title and other places and possibly in URL
3. The page has a contact form and other info for communication and a chatbox

What are you trying to achieve? You want to avoid paying commission by not listing domains on marketplace?
For me, I will put all my transactions through Dan, as I trust it more than paypal for domains and believe it is cheaper than escrow.

For me, I am trying to achieve showcasing more of the domain, putting more information on there. I could probably do that all with Dan, but its nice to have my main website where I sell websites (ready made and custom) and domains (new to register and already registered), and then have a page for each domain saying more about it and all with my branding. i havent done many yet, it is tedious!

Its just an experiment for me at the moment. I have some pages that are semi built websites, some that redirect to dan, some that have nothing on them and there will be some that redirect to the information on my main website. I will unscientifically see which ones I feel perform better and like more.

•••
Does anyone think Wordpress is good or bad for this purpose. Maybe create a page in 10 minutes, to get name/company, email, IP, of potential buyers, via form mail.... And need security, and high uptime of course.
(assuming wordpress handless security and uptime by itself. )

I recently start to use self-hosted wordpress for some of my landing pages,
Below example site is build with Wordpress + Oxygen Builder
https://ExcellenceDomain.com/

•••
Here is an idea
(not an original one).

looks, usefulness,..)

Great way to end up blacklisted by google they hate 1 page landing page sites

So all you do is get the site banned basically by Google by doing a crappy 1 page land page site

That is not development

•••
•••
Not indexed

This WordPress site just built a few days ago, so it's normal to see it's not index by major search engine.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Ive also seen standalone scripts on codecanyon.com where you can like build a base website -> and then each domain you own is considered a sub domain in your system... where say your main base is domainSeller.com -> when people access that site they see a portfolio...

vs when traffic hits one of your specific sites -> it routes you to that lander page... and also cross advertises your other current domains...

I dont remember what it's called but i remember checking it out before

•••
Use Netlify.com, You can host unlimited websites. And they offer 100GB/Month bandwidth for free. So basically it will be free for any number of your web pages because it will be very small in page size as it is just a landing page. I am assuming that because it is just a landing page, you don't need to have any server-side code running so you could only have your frontend HTML/CSS/JS or similar.

Using Netlify you also get a free SSL certificate, they use LetsEncrypt for providing you a free SSL certificate.

If you want to design a great-looking landing page you could use unicornplatform.com
If you take a one-month premium then the platform will also allow you to download the code generated for your landing page.
You can do the following
- Create a landing page using UnicornPlatform - it's a no-code platform
- Get one monthly premium (its $8/month)
- Download the code for your website
- Host it on Netlify for free

- Now you can cancel your subscription and just modify the HTML code that you downloaded earlier and again host it on Netlify.

PS: Please don't go with AWS for this, if you don't handle the resources on AWS carefully, you might get a big bill considering you will have many landing pages.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Interesting theory... Any proof?

No proof but lots of evidence. I get 20 offer at Sedo, and the next offer is 21. Thinking that there is no serious buyer, I drop the domain. And someone dropcatches that domain. I'm not necessarily blaming Sedo here (directly at least).

•••
No proof but lots of evidence. I get 20 offer at Sedo, and the next offer is 21. Thinking that there is no serious buyer, I drop the domain. And someone dropcatches that domain. I'm not necessarily blaming Sedo here (directly at least).
This has nothing to do with marketplaces. I don't get your point. No one forces you to drop the domain.
But if you drop the domain, then anyone can catch it. It is your choice.
Your theory is nonsense.

•••
How about a wordpress site (paid or not). I can redirect all domains on registrar side, and landing pages would be identical (the same), and have no reference to the domain (and I can still refer to it as "this domain").

WIll I still have security/bandwidth/ddos/resolving problems?

(for communication purpose only (including, knowing the buyer), no plan to sell at own site, all risks/verifications/chargebacks/payouts etc would be handled by the marketplace we choose (at the cost of commission).)

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone think Wordpress is good or bad for this purpose. Maybe create a page in 10 minutes, to get name/company, email, IP, of potential buyers, via form mail.... And need security, and high uptime of course.
(assuming wordpress handless security and uptime by itself. )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back