topdom

Top Member
Impact
Here is an idea
(not an original one).

I create a "one page" site.

People visit a domain, that domain is redirected to that site,
that page has the same content whatever the domain, except,
that domain name appears on the landing page and in the title, or maybe also in the url.
(better if I can customize further.)
No problem with resolving, and safe against ddos etc.

People can send me a message via email (form-mail)
(better also if I can also reply using the site)
they would provide their contact info, and I would also get their IP.
A chat option can be a bonus (online or offline).

Any such service? There must be lots of free services somewhere.
I prefer services which don't invest in domains.
No FB or linked in, or twitter.
No service requiring id, phone call, installing app etc.

(Here by cost, I don't mean money (only).
I mean, time, protection, avoiding headache,
looks, usefulness,..)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I didn't know there were more than one wordpress. .. I meant the easy (free or cheap) site building tool with its own hosting (just like blogspot, fb, etc.)

•••
I rent unmanaged webservers for years in order to host my own websites. Some VPS's are more powerful than dedicated servers. There is not much difference between VPS, cloud and dedicated in terms of power. The main difference is whether the linux kernel is shared or not. I prefer dedicated servers.

It's possible to point thousands of domains to the same html static file. Then, the constraint would be RAM, rather than CPU. Because apache would cache it, php would cache it if configured so (if apache runs under php), mysql would cache it if the page is semidynamic. If nothing is cached, more CPU and less RAM would be needed. If everything is cached, less CPU and more RAM would be needed. RAM is cheaper and faster than CPU.

The main bottleneck would be knowledge.
You're starting wrong. They say that the one with half knowledge does worse than the without all the knowledge, if I might observe here.

Even if you have the general knowledge which is visible, you don't have with this one. I've said, it's not as easy as it seems. Caching, yes in principle is great for performance. But it depends. It's not a solve-it-all thing. Also regarding the kind of VPS that holds this well, it's cheaper to get a dedicated.

Apache is definitely not the right webserver for this. So indeed the main bottleneck is knowledge. Or having half of it.

Nginx is far better for this particular task. Actually, a custom webserver designed particularly for this task, using a fixed pool of threads and a large one would be best. I've written webservers at some point in time BTW, so I do know some stuff. But of course that'd be going too far.

Oh, and for caching, you don't do it that way, it's pointless to do it on the application server. There's a much better solution named HAProxy, put one in front of the thing. For images, you can use a CDN, but again, it all boils down to cost.

But having everything cached is NOT the solution for this particular application. Doing it means whatever you need to do dynamically (and you will) will have to be done via JS on client, which has, I'm afraid, drawbacks that will be visible in practice (one example, losing a portion of the traffic due to this requirement).

Also, any SQL server thing will have to be severely decoupled and used infrequently (basically to prime some sort of file based cache that will then be cached by the filesystem or some other mechanism) otherwise it's not going to work. Even opening a connection takes a ton of cpu power. I have not used any SQL server in my case because it'd be pointless. And it will have to run on an additional server = more cost.

Once again, this case needs the experience gotten in practice.

If you know what a mutex is, or a semaphore, and what extremely heavy concurrency means /requires, you'll understand that the issue here can't be solved via caching. Caching solves the scripting part, but the performance problem will manifest even if you only use a static file and cached by webserver. It's in the internal mechanisms of the webserver. You'll hit a performance wall even if you add a lot of RAM and many threads to the webserver. At some point it'll simply get worse. If you dont' see it yet, try pointing 30k names at the thing and observe.

I've said what and why, from already having done this, but it's not understoof. Therefore I rest my case.

Note for other posters here: And no, WP definitely aint' the right CMS for this kind of thing.

Last edited:
•••
You're starting wrong. They say that the one with half knowledge does worse than the without all the knowledge, if I might observe here.

Even if you have the general knowledge which is visible, you don't have with this one. I've said, it's not as easy as it seems. Caching, yes in principle is great for performance. But it depends. It's not a solve-it-all thing. Also regarding the kind of VPS that holds this well, it's cheaper to get a dedicated.

Apache is definitely not the right webserver for this. So indeed the main bottleneck is knowledge. Or having half of it.

Nginx is far better for this particular task. Actually, a custom webserver designed particularly for this task, using a fixed pool of threads and a large one would be best. I've written webservers at some point in time BTW, so I do know some stuff. But of course that'd be going too far.

Oh, and for caching, you don't do it that way, it's pointless to do it on the application server. There's a much better solution named HAProxy, put one in front of the thing. For images, you can use a CDN, but again, it all boils down to cost.

But having everything cached is NOT the solution for this particular application. Doing it means whatever you need to do dynamically (and you will) will have to be done via JS on client, which has, I'm afraid, drawbacks that will be visible in practice (one example, losing a portion of the traffic due to this requirement).

Also, any SQL server thing will have to be severely decoupled and used infrequently (basically to prime some sort of file based cache that will then be cached by the filesystem or some other mechanism) otherwise it's not going to work. Even opening a connection takes a ton of cpu power. I have not used any SQL server in my case because it'd be pointless. And it will have to run on an additional server = more cost.

Once again, this case needs the experience gotten in practice.

If you know what a mutex is, or a semaphore, and what extremely heavy concurrency means /requires, you'll understand that the issue here can't be solved via caching. Caching solves the scripting part, but the performance problem will manifest even if you only use a static file and cached by webserver. It's in the internal mechanisms of the webserver. You'll hit a performance wall even if you add a lot of RAM and many threads to the webserver. At some point it'll simply get worse. If you dont' see it yet, try pointing 30k names at the thing and observe.

I've said what and why, from already having done this, but it's not understoof. Therefore I rest my case.

Note for other posters here: And no, WP definitely aint' the right CMS for this kind of thing.

If 1 domain receives 1k hits per day (assuming 2 static page elements), 30k domains receive 30M hits per day.
30M / 86,400 = 347 hits per second.

Can a server with 4 cpu cores at around 2 ghz speed handle it ?

Last edited:
•••
I need contact info+IP, because I want to be able to check quality of the lead. Then I can price it accordingly, or not put a price, or even respond. It makes big difference whether there is a buyer or not, and who that buyer is.
If we can't see it, Epik shouldn't see it either. What is Epik planning to do with all those messages intended for us, but essentially not shown to us, because the most critical parts are erased. ..At other marketplaces, they would be used for dropcatch. At registrars they would be used for grabbing after expiration. Not a fair business.

This is not about Epik directly,.. but let me guess what kind of mindset Epik is in. There is a lead, and they know it is high quality lead, but we would be happy with 1K, and "they don't want us to get scammed", and they would try to sell for 100K instead. And if successful, say,
keep 80K for themselves, 20K for us, so they are doing a great favor to us.. What is the problem then,.. because of their greed, we would lose many sales,.. buyers will think that 100K counteroffer comes from us, and not accept it, plus, if price is dropped in the future, they won't trust us.. Let me give an example,.. they asked how much we would sell a domain for, I listed it there, and also informed them, they were not telling me who the buyer was even before this hiding event. Why hide it.
Sedo landing pages have an email,.. why because some buyers will send an email instead, and Sedo can ask us the price, by offering 20 from a fake account.

There are lots of bugs at Epik marketplace, and they will never fix them. For example under "sold" link, there is only one sale which is 2 years old, although I sold many more domains there since then, which are not visible.
I choose "show 100 items per page", Epik gives error. How can we know there are no critical/dangerous errors, which would allow people to steal our domains for free. They won't appear under "sold", and maybe we won't get an email either, because there is no money going to masterbucks.
Why trust your engineers who screw up everything. Maybe all those bugs are intentional as well.

Last edited:
•••
How about a wordpress site (paid or not). I can redirect all domains on registrar side, and landing pages would be identical (the same), and have no reference to the domain (and I can still refer to it as "this domain").

WIll I still have security/bandwidth/ddos/resolving problems?

(for communication purpose only (including, knowing the buyer), no plan to sell at own site, all risks/verifications/chargebacks/payouts etc would be handled by the marketplace we choose (at the cost of commission).)
I am trying to just do a portfolio showcase on my site (if you want a poke about, its wpwebsites .net/domains and at the bottom of the page). Besides it all not aligning right and giving me headaches that way, it is also taking a million years to set up each individual page, create a logo etc. Im probably just going to do about 20, make it look nice and leave it. The amount of time its taking is painful.

I have my domains listed on dan, afternic, brandpa etc.

Namesilo was doing a nice free lander that shows all your domains you have for sale with them, but unfortunatly there is a glitch in my account and I can see other peoples domains in it (and they are taking 3 months to fix it, I see that as a security breach and will transfer everything out when I can afford it).

will probably try out some other ways, maybe look at efty, but as it stands, an ugly table and a quarter done showcase are it.

•••
I will pay commission (somewhere) even if buyers don't want me to pay it , because the marketplace (can vary) handling the transaction will "take all the risks". 10-20 percent commssion is nothing, 1,000 percent commission (without my knowledge of course), or not being able to sell because of greed/evilness of the marketplace and other players is a lot; means 100 fold difference in sales. Of course I will be very angry, first Dan dead, and now Epik, no room left for fair business.

•••
•••
Does anyone think Wordpress is good or bad for this purpose. Maybe create a page in 10 minutes, to get name/company, email, IP, of potential buyers, via form mail.... And need security, and high uptime of course.
(assuming wordpress handless security and uptime by itself. )
You don't mean a WordPress site for each individual domain name, do you?

•••
Actually it would be great if other registrars "copy" Epik's default landing pages. Epik was great but currently it is totally dead (failing on 3 R's: registration, renewal, refund). A landing page may not be useful enough by itself. I would prefer to combine leads coming from landing pages, with marketplace/mls listings. This way I would have more control in the sale process, and can make marketplaces and agents happy enough whenever they are honest and hardworking and so make sales more likely, can do followups, and not leave much on the table. I can hire a friend to create a site meeting my expectations, but it would be better if I don't give any hints about my identity (for example in UDRP they can say, these domains are owned by the same guy although we don't know who he is), and a third party site familar to everyone (such as fb, twitter, wordpress,..) handles messages from visitors. And of course, time is very important, both in setting up the system, and managing it. "Marketplace listings alone" is not a good way either, unless you add low prices and set up fast transfers on all domains, maybe combine it with outbounds.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back