Dynadot

question Does Spanish speakers prefer Spanish letters in the domain name?

NameSilo
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
Am planning to register a name which is actually a Spanish name and has an accented letter. Corresponding non accented name is also available. (Ex: Adrián & Adrian).

Should I register both Adrián & Adrian

Which one Spanish speakers prefer?
1. Adrian - To avoid punny code in the address bar or for easier typing
Or
2. Adrián, since it's a Spanish name.

Does Spanish speakers prefer to type Spanish letters as it is or type the English equivalent in the address bar normally?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Solution
Although I am not Spanish, I have lived in Spain for many years and I have never ever seen a Spanish company using an IDN name. Maybe someone somewhere but indeed it's a rare occurrence. I don't think 95% of Spaniards even know that such a possibility exists.

But also, what you can do is to run an experiment and check both names on dotdb. For a ''regular'' there is a good chance .es will be taken - just see how it's for IDN.
•••
Upvote 0
Although I am not Spanish, I have lived in Spain for many years and I have never ever seen a Spanish company using an IDN name. Maybe someone somewhere but indeed it's a rare occurrence. I don't think 95% of Spaniards even know that such a possibility exists.

But also, what you can do is to run an experiment and check both names on dotdb. For a ''regular'' there is a good chance .es will be taken - just see how it's for IDN.

•••
Upvote 0
Solution
Given how awkward it is to type accents on Spanish keyboard (particularly on a mac), especially young people tend to omit them in informal writing, with rare exceptions when the accent can change the meaning and/or the word without it could be misunderstood in the given context. I would be surprised if it was any different with domains. You can secure both and redirect the IDN but never think anyone would "prefer" the IDN because it's the "correct spelling".

•••
Upvote 0
That's a nice idea. Yes. Accented words are very less registered. Dropping that idea.

Thank you all for the suggestions & opinions

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back