Chieff

Established Member
Impact
I have suggestion that downvoting should be removed from forum

Downvoting facilitate mob mentality

Don't know why community like namepros still have it

Reasons:

1. It stops ppl from sharing different opinions
2. People don't want to see difference in opinion use downvote as a tool to pull down

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the reason the Mods ignore to explain the reason because they want members to post more. Just like Youtuber want to get more views.

•••
They are not being interactive at all are they?
This is not a self driving forum where it will cruise along on its own.
C’mon boss speak to the people. Their not happy and its showing more in the posts being made. Its the posts not being made.

•••
Yes, it is interesting that NP hasn't responded at all.

Regarding my view of the topic at hand, I would start by giving the following background:

I would say there is no doubt at all that there is a significant herd mentality on this forum whereby certain members can sway the votes one way or another. Naturally, there are some members who've been around for a fair while who will receive a bunch of upvotes solely because they posted, and not necessarily due to the content of their post. But on the other hand, I've certainly observed the opposite - where a particular member can post the same thing but in a different way, and they will get multiple downvotes to many of their posts. It can also happen when a respected member posts a view that is contrary to another member, and the second member will start receiving numerous downvotes. This is not the fault of the respected member (nor necessarily their intention), but does seem to be a product of the herd mentality at times (and inclination for others to 'support' the respected member), rather than a genuine disagreement with the second member's post.

I can certainly see that there are times when a member might want to downvote anonymously. And there are probably more reasons why they shouldn't be allowed to. So I am actually undecided on whether or not the anonymity is a major problem.

Rather, in my opinion, the biggest issue is not necessarily the anonymity of downvotes, but it's the ability to place up to 4 anonymous downvotes and up to 8 anonymous upvotes. So, all it would take is me and 4 mates (or extra accounts) to give your post 40 upvotes, or 20 downvotes. Either way, it puts a huge amount of emphasis on the opinion (or likes/dislikes) of certain members who use the system like this.

I reckon the better way (if anonymity is allowed) is to allow a single downvote and maybe 2 upvotes. If you want to place more downvotes than that, then you must use the disagree or dislike button so that at least one of your downvotes is not anonymous. And similarly, if you want to place extra upvotes this should be done via Like/Thanks/Agree so that those votes are public.

•••
(y)

Downvoting doesn't help in any way to enrich a forum's life.
It has only an intimidating effect, it keeps people from posting opinions which they deem being unpopular within this forum.
The fear of becoming a target for the downvoting mob
Yeah definitely remove a dislike button like YouTube

•••
@Alop, YT is a essentially a platform for videos whereas NP is a discussion forum.
Within these two places function and effect of downvoting are very different.
You are comparing apples with oranges.

By the way, I thought we were talking about the anonymously downvoting functionality, not about the dislike button.

•••
@Alop, YT is a essentially a platform for videos whereas NP is a discussion forum.
Within these two places function and effect of downvoting are very different.
I’ll agree

•••
Hi @Paperhand
read some of the reviews in Trustpilot.

The first problem consists in that PP block your account if their algorithms recognize a transaction as suspicious, and apparently it's getting increasingly easy to trigger those algorithms.
Btw, PP don't block that transaction, they block the whole account.

And afterwards, it gets basically impossible to de-block the account through their customer service.

PP reserves the right to keep the funds for 6 months, and even afterwards to keep part of the funds.
You can find a lot of reports on the internet.

They justify themselves arguing that it's foreseen in their Terms of Service, which you agreed upon when opening an account.

So if your PP account gets blocked, the funds that you hold at e.g. Namecheap, you can't take them out.
If you sell domains on Namecheap marketplace, those proceeds, you can't take them out.

Well, you can take them out of Namecheap, but only to funnel and deposit them in your blocked PP account, so that you are left with no idea about if and when you'll be able to dispose of those funds again.
Just in order to show how anonymous downvoting works

I wrote yesterday this post.
I went to sleep with an impact score of 288.
This morning it's 270.
Its overall voting balance is unchanged, +14

1.png

Downvoters "disagreed" with this post by chasing backwards my posting history and downvoting past posts of mine

:xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back