IT.COM

Epik.com Seizes Domain, Threatens to Transfer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Boutique Ink

Established Member
Impact
I previously transferred all of my domains to Epik.com because of @Rob Monster’s principled defense of free speech. But now, I’m questioning the wisdom of that decision.

An unnamed “complainant” claims to own one of my domains, and Epik.com is implicitly threatening to transfer the domain to them. (The complainant doesn’t own the domain; I do.)

Isn’t this a dispute for ICANN or the courts to resolve but not Epik.com?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
fortunately i move out all of my domain portfolio from EPIK when they start getting problem with paypal LOL

•••
In my experience Epik would act reasonably in such a case.

•••
Epik.com will probably not do anything without a legitimate cause.

•••
•••
I would recommend Dynadot.

Edit: To be more clear, I had various issues with most registrars and have accounts with like all the big ones. Never had any single issue with Dynadot which holds most of my names today. And there are many NP'ers here that would agree to the above.
unfortunately, i cannot echo your message. i have had problems with dynadot and it was not pleasant dealing with them

•••
•••
Epik.com still refuses to unlock the domain. Here’s what they said:

“When we review a complaint of this nature, the domain in question is locked to prevent an outbound transfer until the situation is resolved.”

Last edited:
•••
“We are still reviewing as new information is being sent to us and have yet to make a final decision.”

Because of these remarks from Epik.com’s representative, I assume they’re considering transferring my domain to the “complainant.” Please let me know if you think it means something else.

Last edited:
•••
Today Epik confirmed the domain is still frozen. I’ve asked them what information I could provide to establish I’m the rightful owner, but they don’t want any:

“We do not need any information from you at this moment. If we do, I will let you know.

At this time, the domain will remain locked until our review is over. Our CEO and VP of Operations have been in the loop and are reviewing this…”

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone see in the registration agreement where Epik explains how they resolve these complaints? Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone see in the registration agreement where Epik.com explains how they resolve these complaints? Thank you.

20220505_191823.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Thank you, @Tia Wood. I was alarmed when Epik threatened to transfer the domain. I still hope they won’t do that.

Last edited:
•••
I m not happy with Epik.com I can't transfer out my domains in 1 day. Waiting for 6-7 day like Netsol.

•••
That initial comment from OP about moving to Epik due to their reputation for 'Free Speech' gets you concerned about the type of domain that may have caused the lock in the first place. I agree with many of the comments that there is more to this than being a simple case of Epik over-reach. I'm not going to speculate on these scenarios. Wonder if the OP wants to update us or perhaps paint a clearer picture of his understanding of the complaint from Epiks/Complainants point of view.

Last edited:
•••
from what i read, it seems you have a dispute between yourself and your developer (web developer)?

•••
If free speech is terrifying to you we can just tell you what to do. People have political agendas and perhaps you don't agree with that so should you forfeit your protest?

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

Whenever a complaint is received that states a domain was stolen, the domain in question is locked. We notify the Registrant of the lock and they can provide any information that is outside of Epik that would help us in our investigation. At the same time, the Complainant must provide us with documentation. Once everything has been received, which sometimes takes the Complainant some time but we give them a time frame of 10 days, the complaint is escalated to our CEO and VP of Operations, as well as our in-house lawyer for review. The review can take up to three weeks depending upon the number of documents sent to us and our team has to wait for an update.

In this scenario, you contacted our support team before I was able to get an email out to you, in which I explained why the domain was locked. The delay was on my end here and for that, I apologize. Because the documentation of receipts from your side are in your Epik account, we did not need those as I mentioned in a prior email. Although if you had other documentation, you were welcome to send that to us for review to prove that the domain wasn't stolen and is rightfully yours. We attempted to work out a sale of the domain between you and the Complainant in hopes of both parties avoiding legal action, which can be costly, but that didn't work out. Then we received a notification of a UDRP.

Rest assured there was no tactic done here to buy time for any person. The above procedure is how all reports of stolen domains are handled. It's a serious accusation that requires we review everything carefully and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Thanks,
Sarah F.
Epik Support Team
Lead Abuse & Compliance

•••
@Boutique Ink - any update on this?

Epik has locked my domain for eleven days now. They haven’t been as forthcoming with information or reassurances as I would like.

I’ve begun the long process of moving my domains away from them. It looks like this has to be done one at a time. (Is there a faster way?)

Last edited:
•••
unfortunately, i cannot echo your message. i have had problems with dynadot and it was not pleasant dealing with them

What kinds of issues did you experience with @Dynadot? I was considering using them.

Last edited:
•••
You keep talking around the issue trying to make it seem like it is just some random bad luck for you. You know exactly who it is, and even Epik referred to you as the "web developer" in the dispute.

You came here with half a story looking to get sympathy or shady advice, because you think "domainers" behave that way. As a general rule, we do not. An unfortunately common perception.

Based on all the information you have dribbled out, this domain does not belong to you. Just give it to them and move on. If you feel they owe you money for services provided, get your documentation together and go to small claims court.

As a general business rule, any domains I acquire for a client, I make them create a registrar account and I push the names into it once I've set the nameservers if needed. I never want my client's names in my account and to have that responsibility. In my opinion, the only reason people would keep a client name is to have leverage later = bad/shady business.

Unfortunately, your facts are wrong. You’re not close to the situation, nor am I asking for a second opinion of my choices.

I know what’s right and wrong; I need help managing Epik.

Last edited:
•••
from what i read, it seems you have a dispute between yourself and your developer (web developer)?

I’m trying to understand why Epik would adjudicate the claims of a third-party “complainant” against a registrant. The content hosted on the domain is entirely prosaic.

Last edited:
•••
Epic doesn't really have a stake in something like this other than their reputation. To think they would waste resources to arbitrarily move domains to other people seems odd.

After Epik.com locked my domain, they tried to negotiate a domain sale between the unidentified “complainant” and me. (I didn’t ask them to do that.) I assume Epik.com would receive a commission for the transaction; that would be their financial incentive to get involved.

Last edited:
•••
That initial comment from OP about moving to Epik due to their reputation for 'Free Speech' gets you concerned about the type of domain that may have caused the lock in the first place. I agree with many of the comments that there is more to this than being a simple case of Epik over-reach. I'm not going to speculate on these scenarios. Wonder if the OP wants to update us or perhaps paint a clearer picture of his understanding of the complaint from Epiks/Complainants point of view.

Epik refuses to identify the “complainant,” and they’ve provided very little information about their claims.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back