Domain Empire

Ever Sold a Domain To Someone Who Knows Nothing About Domain? Share Your Experience

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

Have you ever sold a domain name to someone who has no clue what you are talking about? If yes, how did you educate the person and eventually closed a sale.

I will like to know how to handle such situation as it seem such a person has never had a domain name before.

Thank you for your time.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not that scenario in particular, however working for a web host I have had quite some clients who have no idea what hosting is, is it edible, does it fly away for the winter and such overwhelming riddles. The logic I use applies in both cases.

Not knowing the terminology means that either this person has never had a web presence before or, even if they did, someone else was running things for them. So to get things on the right track you would have to explain the basic and most important terms as easy and understandable as you can. We are talking about Internet, websites, domains, hosting, development at least. You can use whatever analogies you find easiest for the person in front of you - I have personally used auto analogies, house analogies even bits of football comparisons with a client :D

The important thing for you, as a seller, would be not only to make sure the other party understands you clearly but also include their benefits all steps of the way. This is what the other person cares essentially - all things aside, how will this help ME? If you make sure you cover those bases its all up to your sales charisma from there ;)

•••
Fellow domainer sold a EMD domain to some guy, he redirected it to his current site, after a week he wants a refund because it didnt bring him any business.

Years ago I sold a domain for low xxx, guy pays and proceeds to send me pictures and word files as to what he wants on the website, the end of that nightmare involved a refund.

As a tip, use the word "Website Address" over Domain Name, more people understand Website address than domain or url etc.

•••
•••
Years ago I sold a domain for low xxx, guy pays and proceeds to send me pictures and word files as to what he wants on the website, the end of that nightmare involved a refund.

Hahaha, that's hilarious. Thanks for sharing :D :D

•••
Fellow domainer sold a EMD domain to some guy, he redirected it to his current site, after a week he wants a refund because it didnt bring him any business.

Both happened to me too.
In the first case it involved a low $x,xxx sale, years ago, the buyer asked me a refund after 3 months, because the domain didn't help his business website much.
And about the second case, it happened twice to me. I had to patiently "fight" especially with one, which kept sending me files and detailed emails about the website for 2 weeks after i kindly explained him the deal was for the domain only and not for a "complete package". At the end we agreed i would have done the website for addictional $200 (it was simple and clean), but eventually after the agreement, i've never heard him anymore.

Just two examples to explain selling domain names to someone with near to no experience in web services would become difficult sometimes. It mostly depends on the buyer's character, if he's willing to learn and/or if he accept his own ignorance in this field, it wouldn't be much difficult. But he is a closed mind, or if he's arrogant, thinking to know and understand anything within few minutes, then bring a bunch of patience, you'll need it.

•••
Hello Guys...

It was a good thing that I came here for advise. After reading your replies, I knew how best to handle the situation.

I followed @Rado_Ch advise by educating the end user with indepth details. I also played in the "imagine domain on your business card eg [email protected]" card lol
https://www.namepros.com/members/rado_ch.952389/
I used the word "website address name" in substitute for "domain name" as stated by @AEProgram and I didn't promise anything such as traffic or promised revenue generation. I focused on the brandability appeal of the name.

After much wait due to time zone difference. I received a positive reply and the end user seems excited about the whole idea. He/she said:" quite interesting. Let's talk about the deal. No bargains. What is your maximum price you expect"

I have quoted my price and now waiting for the final reply to determine if this will be successful or a failed deal.

However, I made sure I touched basic flow system components such as escrow, how escrow works, why escrow is good option, how to get the name transfered and I also agreed to send them a PDF file on how to get an account for the domain transfer... etc.

I also didn't fail to use one of the tactics used by brokers when given pricing. That is giving a price and asking buyer if the price will seal the deal.

strange but I am not really over the moon. May be it's because of what experienced has taught me... which is until the money enters your account... you do not have a deal.

I will keep you guys posted and eventually announce the name if it goes well. If it doesn't I will also let you know.

In case the deal goes through, I learned that one can use Sedo's escrow service at 3% as opposed to 10%. How does this work?

Thanks

•••
Yes. I sold to my -ignorant- self some crappy domains about a year ago

..that was roughly when I started learning about domaining

•••
Not that scenario in particular, however working for a web host I have had quite some clients who have no idea what hosting is, is it edible, does it fly away for the winter and such overwhelming riddles. The logic I use applies in both cases.

Not knowing the terminology means that either this person has never had a web presence before or, even if they did, someone else was running things for them. So to get things on the right track you would have to explain the basic and most important terms as easy and understandable as you can. We are talking about Internet, websites, domains, hosting, development at least. You can use whatever analogies you find easiest for the person in front of you - I have personally used auto analogies, house analogies even bits of football comparisons with a client :D

The important thing for you, as a seller, would be not only to make sure the other party understands you clearly but also include their benefits all steps of the way. This is what the other person cares essentially - all things aside, how will this help ME? If you make sure you cover those bases its all up to your sales charisma from there ;)

I tell my clients that hosting is like your house and domain is a physical address where your house stands. they get it quickly after it. Specially if you ask them if they want their house on Beverley Hills or in God forgotten unknown area.

•••
I tell my clients that hosting is like your house and domain is a physical address where your house stands. they get it quickly after it. Specially if you ask them if they want their house on Beverley Hills or in God forgotten unknown area.

Pretty much the same example works for me too. I even take it one step further when I need to explain the different types of hosting - then I'm going to the "Ghetto, Cul-de-sac and Mansion On The Hill" type of explanations :D

At the end of the days it doesn't take much to get to know the person on the other side and find a suitable explanations that they will easily understand ;)

•••

nightmare lol.

•••
Haven't had problems with an actual buyer but I've gotten a few clueless responses...

One time I contacted a business owner operating on a .NET and they had about 10K followers on facebook, I owned the .COM (aged a few years) and I offered the name to them at a bargain price of low $xxx considering the amount of business I estimated they did...I thought he'd jump all over the opportunity.

They guy responds back to me and says "I Just went on GoDaddy and they cost $12.99 for a .com!!" It was obvious to me the owner was clueless about the internet and was probably paying some people to run things for him online.

I didn't even bother to respond and waste my time educating him on things because I had too many other prospects, I sold it to someone else within a couple of days same asking price.

•••
Haven't had problems with an actual buyer but I've gotten a few clueless responses...

One time I contacted a business owner operating on a .NET and they had about 10K followers on facebook, I owned the .COM (aged a few years) and I offered the name to them at a bargain price of low $xxx considering the amount of business I estimated they did...I thought he'd jump all over the opportunity.

They guy responds back to me and says "I Just went on GoDaddy and they cost $12.99 for a .com!!" It was obvious to me the owner was clueless about the internet and was probably paying some people to run things for him online.

I didn't even bother to respond because I had too many other prospects, I sold it to someone else within a couple of days same asking price.
hilarious. baby boomers are funny

•••
Sounds like it could happen alot. People park domains and hardly sell them all the time. I still forget certain details to passing domains with different registries.

•••
Yes i did recently. the buyer didnt understand setting up an account with a registrar so he could receive the domain in his account. this sale has been my longest so far...took about a month to complete it. But i was patient and just explained things...cuz i didnt want the sale to fall through...but i feel i should have asked for $300 to $500 more for the inconvenience :D

•••
Yes i did recently. the buyer didnt understand setting up an account with a registrar so he could receive the domain in his account. this sale has been my longest so far...took about a month to complete it. But i was patient and just explained things...cuz i didnt want the sale to fall through...but i feel i should have asked for $300 to $500 more for the inconvenience :D
wow... That's cool. But mine has not responded since I quoted a price. He/she ask me for my maximum and I gave $x,xxx as my price but I don't know if he/she meant minimum because the person is based in Seoul, Korea. So, I am not so sure if he/she understand English much but the 2 email exchange has been in fair English usage.

Since I quoted price, no reply yet.

Did you experienced anything like this? or what do you suggest?

Thanks.

•••
wow... That's cool. But mine has not responded since I quoted a price. He/she ask me for my maximum and I gave $x,xxx as my price but I don't know if he/she meant minimum because the person is based in Seoul, Korea. So, I am not so sure if he/she understand English much but the 2 email exchange has been in fair English usage.

Since I quoted price, no reply yet.

Did you experienced anything like this? or what do you suggest?

Thanks.

Well, that is really the risk in the domain negotiations, isn't it? Finding a prospect is just part of the process, finding a matching price for both might be even harder. It does sound to me that your maximum is way above his limits and he doesn't find it necessary to discuss further but it can be something way different. Not having any information about the issue is the worst situation as you cannot make an adequate decision. Replying again with a lower price can put you on the defense here and you might lose on your revenue. Personally I would leave it and give him some time to respond while searching for other prospects, but I am not a domainer myself so more experienced people here can pitch in with ideas, I am just thinking logically out loud ;)

•••
@Rado_Ch, you are right. But then why don't they state what they can afford?

You asked for Maximum wherein Minimum could have been the best word to use.

However, I don't think I would lose much on this as I picked the name on expired status, using godaddy coupon.

The x.xxx that I quoted wasn't my final. And after giving that price, I asked :'is this a figure we can work with'?

Which gives room for negotiation if only the person could have the balls to respond with a : 'NO, that's not but this is what I can offer'

I did send an email requestion for what he would wish to pay though.

Most end users are not confident enough.

•••
I have had inquiries from people offering $30 for good (desirable) names that cost $500+ at auction, and they haggled all the way up to $80. In all honesty, they can GTFO with that nonsense.

Unless a client is paying for a consultation, it's not our jobs to teach people about the internet and basic marketing.

Too much effort and not very good ROI on your time investment.

•••
That was my first ever sale actually :)
It was a LLLL domain and it was an exact match to a transportation company in the Nordics. I found the CEO's contacts on the website.. called him and it was a holiday, so he was free to chat a bit.. he knew seriously nothing.. and after a long discussion, he put a 1,000 on the table.. then I asked him for 5K, after that he discussed with his IT and we ended up at 2.8K
Throughout we had a lot of calls with questions like, how can I know its yours? how can I know you wouldnt take it back? Sent lots of links to support my words, but it was all worth it :)

•••
@Rado_Ch, you are right. But then why don't they state what they can afford?

Most end users are not confident enough.

That is one way to look at it. But the possibilities are endless really. I too believe that a even a 1-word response is common courtesy but, hey, I am not the one that dictates the rules (at least until my World Domination Plan is complete).

As domainers get more experienced with sales and time, customers go through the same cycle too. Maybe this person had negotiations with other people before who were not that flexible, so he naturally expects the difference in your and his offer to be a deal-breaker so he just didn't bother. Or he rarely checks emails. Or he was negotiating other sales and got something better. Or, God forbid, there was a personal matter which prevented him from answering.

Its really playing the Assumption Game here ;)

•••

Don't worry about it, it happens to everyone in the beginning.

•••

Well, I started 9 months ago with the following Laptop-Cooling .com , now I have more than 50 domains at BrandBucket and increasing... Also, got premium domains, each worthy more than 50K retail...

The thing is, you must learn from the mistakes.. I look at it that way.. I invest with money, that I could rather spend for my family.. I rather choose to invest it on domains to be able to spend MORE tomorrow for my family's best.. This is how motivated I got with it.. .I was honest with myself, I said If i cant make it right, then I must quit it to avoid further losses! Thats what I did when I traded Forex, after 5K losses, that was it... enough is enough.. but with domaining, I AM getting there... not yet, and we die learning, but im improving as well as everyone here.. thats the beauty of this forum .
Enjoy :)

•••
remembering how hard i laughed 8 years ago to these posts.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back