Dynadot

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ouch.

Loss of competition always causes a niche to flatten, worsens the quality of services and zeroes the striving to provide quality.

•••
It would be nice and help push prices down if some bigger companies got in on this market. I think Escrow.com was mentioned above, but I also think eBay.com could easily jump in and compete.

•••
It would be nice and help push prices down if some bigger companies got in on this market. I think Escrow.com was mentioned above, but I also think eBay.com could easily jump in and compete.
Ebay is a different animal. They won't jump in.

Last edited:
•••

ebay wants none to do with domains.. else they would be llong at it

•••
I won't even bother to address the loud minority within the woke culture that comes up with new words and rules every day.
Hi

not to go too far off-topic,
but what are some of these "new words and rules" that they've come up with?
maybe i can register some and park them on dandaddy.com

"loudminority.com" is taken, so you got anymore?
;)

imo...

•••
When I entered domain speculation in 2015, GoDaddy had great prices, discounts and competitive renewal rates. In 2022, they now have the least competitive renewal rates, highest BIN commissions, and a 1 coupon limit per customer, literally one coupon per account - one time usage.

I don't see Dan.com deal being good for domain speculators, though I congratulate Dan.com on a successful exit. Building a good product or service isn't easy, let alone building a company or brand to GTO said goods or services.

Still, no matter the level of ambiguous PR talk I hear from GD and Dan, I'll wait to see where things are one year from now. Historically, all these deals do is increase costs for users of GoDaddy. Study the record since 2015 and prove me wrong.

With every acquisition the costs are passed onto customers, and domainers are 70% of the domain business.

Ironically, one of the arguments from monopolists for monopoly is lower costs!

On the bright side, I use NameCheap, Epik, and Dynadot registrars and the removal of Dan from the innovation lane opens a huge opportunity for aforementioned registrars and others. Customizable landers, single digit commissions, flexible payment plans, and registrant controlled negotiations are key to filling the Dan.com vacuum.

Many like myself were expecting the big announcement from Dan as a newly minted registry, so total let down in that regard.

If all fails, I'll focus on building my own landers in 2023 to keep all commissions to myself.

•••
When I entered domain speculation in 2015, GoDaddy had great prices, discounts and competitive renewal rates. In 2022, they now have the least competitive renewal rates, highest BIN commissions, and a 1 coupon limit per customer, literally one coupon per account - one time usage.

I don't see Dan.com deal being good for domain speculators, though I congratulate Dan.com on a successful exit. Building a good product or service isn't easy, let alone building a company or brand to GTO said goods or services.

Still, no matter the level of ambiguous PR talk I hear from GD and Dan, I'll wait to see where things are one year from now. Historically, all these deals do is increase costs for users of GoDaddy. Study the record since 2015 and prove me wrong.

With every acquisition the costs are passed onto customers, and domainers are 70% of the domain business.

Ironically, one of the arguments from monopolists for monopoly is lower costs!

On the bright side, I use NameCheap, Epik, and Dynadot registrars and the removal of Dan from the innovation lane opens a huge opportunity for aforementioned registrars and others. Customizable landers, single digit commissions, flexible payment plans, and registrant controlled negotiations are key to filling the Dan.com vacuum.

Many like myself were expecting the big announcement from Dan as a newly minted registry, so total let down in that regard.

If all fails, I'll focus on building my own landers in 2023 to keep all commissions to myself.

domain speculator lol u speculate stock or crypto...not domains

gd is just a.money grab.. I mean who else has domain club just to get u to half decent prices..not even best.. and then who has the nerve to double price of that domain club. if gd had some decency they would be ashamed of themselves. but.we all know what cashdaddy wants.

•••
•••
domain speculator lol u speculate stock or crypto...not domains

gd is just a.money grab.. I mean who else has domain club just to get u to half decent prices..not even best.. and then who has the nerve to double price of that domain club. if gd had some decency they would be ashamed of themselves. but.we all know what cashdaddy wants.

What makes you think buying, holding and selling domain names does not qualify as speculation?

A quick dictionary search adds clarity.

Speculation (noun) 1. investment in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.

Cash Daddy is definitely a fitting nickname for GD.

All I've seen is price increases from them every year and less customer loyalty benefits. This wasn't always the case, as I mentioned, only a few years ago they were the leader in these areas. But there is a strong correlation between increased prices and their post-2015 acquisitions.

•••
Why does Escrow.com come out with their landers??? It will be sooo perfect for all domainers!! The main issue being trust! Instead of 0.89% they can charge 5%!!
Why are you willing to pay much more than what they offer? It's nonsense!

If you're too rich to scatter money, give me some.

•••
It seems that unless official statements come from the companies in question, it will be nothing more than empty talk.

They've already come to an agreement among themselves, and they're working on the final details.
It is necessary to accept the result and continue or look for alternatives.

I've personally been putting off developing my own landing pages for a long time. Looks like I need to speed things up.

Last edited:
•••
One thing to be aware of is this.

If GD reduces the commission to 9%, chances are they will increase the price upstream to cover the difference. And that's actually for a reason that can be deemed valid (I'll let everyone decide but let me explain below).

The above means, your end price sale will likely be higher and as a consequence sales will be lower. So the 9% fee will not bring more money to you.

Edit: Dan uses your own lander traffic to sell the domain. While you can sell a lot through Afternic even if you point landers at Dan. Which means Afternic brings the bacon themselves and that's at a premium.

As you might know already, the partner network of Afternic practices a markup price as they desire. I've had domains that were priced 50% more in end retail price of given platforms. It is most likely the decision of that partner platform how to price. But I would bet that the difference will be passed on to partners as retail price at Afternic's gate.

There is, however, a business reason for the 20%.

While Afternic has to make their own money, there are also partners there who sell your name at the same price, or even for lower price. Yes, even a bit lower sometimes than Afternic (your) price.

For these partners, the payout comes from that 20% of course. So overall I bet Afternic keeps a portion for them (say 10%) and offers the other say 10% to the partners that bring this exposure. And those who sell at lower prices have a better chance to sell names.

In other words, with Afternic you get a ton of exposure, but it comes as a cost - partners have to eat too. Hence the 20% fee.

Edit: Also please remember Afternic has people that can answer calls. For certain domainers this might be vital. I am one of them; NS5/NS6 landers work far better for me in comparison with Dan where I never got good results. But this on-call team also comes at a cost. They also offer account managers like I have that is extremely helpful with any issues with listings and everything else. Yet more reasons why a higher fee is basically expected with Afternic/ GD.

Afternic is the only broker that got me a higher price,
than my BIN for a domain, ever.

•••
Afternic is the only broker that got me a higher price,
than my BIN for a domain, ever.

Me too, but is this (necessarily) a good thing. This means, they take your BIN as floor. What if they are doing
it all the time, but most of the time you sell for BIN only. ..also it could mean most domains can't be sold, although they could (maybe).

•••
Through @Paul Nicks 's moves (on a killing spree) we can predict that domains are far from over.

(until a 20 year old makes new tech)

But even then all these uni dan dnacademy losses would be considered normal business activity as Godaddy aligns with the new tech;
While domainers are heading to Judgment Day;
With large portfolios holders being sweaty.

•••
It seems that unless official statements come from the companies in question, it will be nothing more than empty talk.

They've already come to an agreement among themselves, and they're working on the final details.
It is necessary to accept the result and continue or look for alternatives.

I've personally been putting off developing my own landing pages for a long time. Looks like I need to speed things up.

it has nothing to do.with a landing page..u can use bodis or million others... its about which payment service to use after.to finalize

•••
The big question is now, how is going GD to make more money out of this. Which means not only getting their serious payment back but also a nice chunk of profit.

Obviously they want the Dan.com market share, which is significant. They'll have that. But will it be enough to cover the investment? Well probably not on the short term, I'm sure Dan's owners asked for more than one year or 2 years of profits.

People bank on Afternic needing the automation. I doubt that's the key. Will require Afternic being/becoming the same kind of flexible company, which, if you know corporate, is basically not going to happen as there is a lot of inherent inertia in them. We saw this with Afternic but also with Sedo.

On the other hand, looking from their perspective, why repair something that works (with unnecessary new tech) . Their solution is simple, they bring the customers through large partner network and that's it. No fancy bots but humans on the phone. It works.

You need to ask this question in order to figure out what's going to happen next. Certainly, not as it was before.

Edit: Probably just standard M&A designed to keep competition at bay and ensure long term market domination, the one they already have. Dan is the only serious contender there was out there. The others are just attempts, mostly.

Last edited:
•••
The big question is now, how is going GD to make more money out of this. Which means not only getting their serious payment back but also a nice chunk of profit.

Obviously they want the Dan.com market share, which is significant. They'll have that. But will it be enough to cover the investment? Well probably not on the short term, I'm sure Dan's owners asked for more than one year or 2 years of profits.

People bank on Afternic needing the automation. I doubt that's the key. Will require Afternic being/becoming the same kind of flexible company, which, if you know corporate, is basically not going to happen as there is a lot of inherent inertia in them. We saw this with Afternic but also with Sedo.

On the other hand, looking from their perspective, why repair something that works (with unnecessary new tech) . Their solution is simple, they bring the customers through large partner network and that's it. No fancy bots but humans on the phone. It works.

You need to ask this question in order to figure out what's going to happen next. Certainly, not as it was before.

Edit: Probably just standard M&A designed to keep competition at bay and ensure long term market domination, the one they already have. Dan is the only serious contender there was out there. The others are just attempts, mostly.

do u have faintest concept all mighty ego pedestal man what it means for big fish to buy small fish????? cause that's how the make money part is already done

•••
Killing competition is a big investment. And Sedo needs to fix/improve itself to be able to survive.
Why does Sedo hide prices under cookie window. Obviously this is intentional.

Marketplaces want to see asking prices of sellers, but they don't want endusers to see them.
Reason: arbitrage opportunity. Buyers will think they are contacting owners of domains, but instead
they will be contacting shark agents. Go to marketplace.epik.com , search for your recently listed domain,
it won't appear there, because you have to choose epik marketplace from the menu. And you can only do it after
a failed search , before search there is no menu. is this intentional? Probably because they have been warned many times. They fixed it for a few hours, until I said "it is ok now", and brought it back quickly. This is like , you enter a shop, and you don't see all the stuff they are selling because some are hidden behind a curtain, you ask them if they have nike shoes, they say no, and you say I also want to see what is behind the curtain, and they open it, and yes, there are lots of them there.

I think some engineers or agents are creating invisible tunnels inside marketplaces, so, while it looks like everything is ok to everyone, there will be different buying and selling prices. How can you check this at GD/AN, if after the sale , the sale price is published in some way, probably nothing wrong, if not, you can be suspicious.

Last edited:
•••
In addition to the 'automation' and 'lease-to-own' benefits that GoDaddy mentioned in its (very) brief press release, this acquisition is a perfect example of acq-hiring. All Dan.com full-time employees will be offered jobs to join GoDaddy. The M&A landscape is changing because of labor shortage. More information on this subject in the context of the current labor shortage can be found in this article.

•••
In addition to the 'automation' and 'lease-to-own' benefits that GoDaddy mentioned in its (very) brief press release, this acquisition is a perfect example of acq-hiring. All Dan.com full-time employees will be offered jobs to join GoDaddy. The M&A landscape is changing because of labor shortage. More information on this subject in the context of the current labor shortage can be found in this article.
I am sure it was almost a requirement by DAN not by some nobility of GD 😅. DAN values and cares about their team who has helped make DAN what it is.

But yeah I get the overall point about labor shortage. Just not sure it applies to this scenario.

•••
•••
What about Alter, isn't it an alternative to other marketplaces?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Registrar integration for DAN customers could be successful (for GoDaddy) if it doesn't just go as a clone of GoDaddy. DAN hosts domainers with larger portfolios - in fact the same target group that GoDaddy Domain Discount Club (DDC) is trying to address. The GoDaddy DDC program however, has become less and less interesting over the years. This is especially the case with the myriad of new gTLDS in which GoDaddy is playing an increasingly large role. Even with a DDC membership, you pay an awful lot more with GoDaddy than with other registrars such as Porkbun.

Last edited:
•••
Even with a DDC membership, you pay an awful lot more with GoDaddy than with other registrars
I've had the DDC club for more years than I can remember...cancelled it about a month ago and they still charged me about 350. Had to file a dispute with my bank...shortly after I got the 'official' notice from daddy my money had been returned.

The customer service rep spent quite a while pushing my request for a bigger discount than the initial one they offered me (of course they dropped it about a third as soon as I said cancel). She said it went up the ladder two levels but the final number was not acceptable to me. She indicated that many had called to complain and/or cancel.

I only have about a hundred names left there from auctions but I will be transferring them away as they come up for renewal. Too many registrars offer much better pricing without the 'club' crap.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back