IT.COM

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

NameSilo
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It mostly depends on the payment method and country of the buyer. International bank transfers take close to a week because it travels through at least two banks to get to yours.

You're absolutely right! That's why I love Dan. We're in the same country:)

•••
Last edited:
•••
bahahah and I was still naively believing laszlo and others from dan..and asking about when the dan credit.system for payout storing will.be implemented.. and others asking and waiting for all other features.dan bragged about making soon... I think now safe to say we gonna be stuck in middle ages forever..just like gd refistrar ... gd auctions and afternic are stuck in.middle ages.

Last edited:
•••
The good thing is they will expose the names to more potential customers from godaddy and afternic.
The things we are concerned are commission %, customer support respond time and payment.
I can't see your 'good thing' ...how all this will change exposure compared for domains listed before this to Dan and godaddy/afternic, the exposure will be identical, the only thing is that the guys who wanted to use only Dan and not godaddy/afternic will need to list them by force, not even one good thing to add.

•••
PDF print attached for anyone having trouble with the link. I'll be moving my Dan domains very soon.

Attachments

• GD-Dan.pdf
    433.8 KB · Views: 90
•••
1. they're gonna mess it all up!
2. no antitrust concerns?

•••
Not a good news at all.
When you can't beat your competitor just buy them. Monopolistic industry

•••
Saw this tweet from Elliot Silver

Screenshot_20220701_202357.jpg

•••
As more and more people come to despise woke culture, things can change rapidly.
I dont want to debate this, but there is a difference between "woke culture" and not wanting to deal with anti-Semites, racists or white supremacists. I'm not saying Epik has people like that running things, but I'm not saying they don't.

•••
•••
•••
Saw this tweet from Elliot Silver

Show attachment 218842

If GoDaddy doesn't really mess with Dan.com service and fees, and just adds their own branding, that is much different than what most people expect to happen.

That is just BIN sales though. The highest sales are from leads and negotiation. What about those?

I have a concern GoDaddy will try to put their people as the middleman on these leads, instead of letting the owner control them. They can then justify a higher fee.

I will withhold judgement and see what happens on that front.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Not even an investigation by the FTC to see if this will violate any of the three Antitrust acts. GoDaddy is becoming the Standard Oil of today's domain market.

•••
•••
•••
I dont want to debate this, but there is a difference between "woke culture" and not wanting to deal with anti-Semites, racists or white supremacists. I'm not saying Epik has people like that running things, but I'm not saying they don't.
The woke culture I am referring to is the culture that destroys the seriousness of all these issues you mentioned. Everything you mentioned are real issues and the majority of people stand against them. By making everything about a certain issue, you take the seriousness away from them. It's like ringing the fire alarm bell anytime someone says they feel hot. After a while, if there is a real fire, people won't take it serious.

Woke culture engages in a lot of practices humans should've let go of a long time ago. For example, accusing ALL white people of being inherently racist. Claiming that an adult male that compliments an adult woman in a respectful manner is engaged in a form of sexual harassment and needs to be cancelled. Are there racists out there? Sure. Are there sexual harassers out there? Sure. However, yelling racist at everything you don't like and calling nearly all interactions between a man and a woman a form of sexual harassment, destroys the chance of real victims to be heard and be taken serious.

I won't even bother to address the loud minority within the woke culture that comes up with new words and rules every day. I think most people here, even those that once might've seen nothing wrong with them, have already moved on from entertaining anything they have to say.

•••
I looked at various pages on DomainNameWire and can't see where Paul Nicks actually says GoDaddy will reduce commission to 9%. Is there a link to this?

I doubt he would say this. The commission has to align with the rest of the companies they bought. Which is 20%.

•••
I looked at various pages on DomainNameWire and can't see where Paul Nicks actually says GoDaddy will reduce commission to 9%. Is there a link to this?

gd reducing fees..that's the joke of century

•••
gd reducing fees..that's the joke of century
Still, I can imagine a scenario where it makes sense to lower commissions on domains priced up to $5,000, and get a lot of new domainers making the switch to Afternic.

•••
One thing to be aware of is this.

If GD reduces the commission to 9%, chances are they will increase the price upstream to cover the difference. And that's actually for a reason that can be deemed valid (I'll let everyone decide but let me explain below).

The above means, your end price sale will likely be higher and as a consequence sales will be lower. So the 9% fee will not bring more money to you.

Edit: Dan uses your own lander traffic to sell the domain. While you can sell a lot through Afternic even if you point landers at Dan. Which means Afternic brings the bacon themselves and that's at a premium.

As you might know already, the partner network of Afternic practices a markup price as they desire. I've had domains that were priced 50% more in end retail price of given platforms. It is most likely the decision of that partner platform how to price. But I would bet that the difference will be passed on to partners as retail price at Afternic's gate.

There is, however, a business reason for the 20%.

While Afternic has to make their own money, there are also partners there who sell your name at the same price, or even for lower price. Yes, even a bit lower sometimes than Afternic (your) price.

For these partners, the payout comes from that 20% of course. So overall I bet Afternic keeps a portion for them (say 10%) and offers the other say 10% to the partners that bring this exposure. And those who sell at lower prices have a better chance to sell names.

In other words, with Afternic you get a ton of exposure, but it comes as a cost - partners have to eat too. Hence the 20% fee.

Edit: Also please remember Afternic has people that can answer calls. For certain domainers this might be vital. I am one of them; NS5/NS6 landers work far better for me in comparison with Dan where I never got good results. But this on-call team also comes at a cost. They also offer account managers like I have that is extremely helpful with any issues with listings and everything else. Yet more reasons why a higher fee is basically expected with Afternic/ GD.

Last edited:
•••
Why does Escrow.com come out with their landers??? It will be sooo perfect for all domainers!! The main issue being trust! Instead of 0.89% they can charge 5%!!

•••
Why does Escrow.com come out with their landers??? It will be sooo perfect for all domainers!! The main issue being trust! Instead of 0.89% they can charge 5%!!

dunno exactly but I'm.gonna guess dn sales is just fraction of escrow biz. that's why.

•••
so I'm sitting here wondering how long dan knew bout sale to gd while feeding the world posts about great future and changes around corner... kinda weird to pump interest in this way... also does it cross u guys minds Dan's low fees were in the end just not sustainable and profit margins so low they had to sell?

•••
so I'm sitting here wondering how long dan knew bout sale to gd while feeding the world posts about great future and changes around corner... kinda weird to pump interest in this way... also does it cross u guys minds Dan's low fees were in the end just not sustainable and profit margins so low they had to sell?
DAN's low fees are in large part due to the extensive automation of processes, something Afternic is extremely interested in for its own platform. I think a lot of the announced future innovations at DAN will just happen, but it will be interesting how the announced 'registrar' part will take shape.

DAN = Domain Automation Network.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back