IT.COM

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not according to Dynadot founder Todd Han, who said this just a few weeks ago:

"Dynadot will become an employee-owned company starting in 2023. We decided that employees should own Dynadot instead of venture capital or a private equity firm," says Todd. "Dynadot has stayed independent as almost all the registrars around us have been bought up. Employee ownership will guarantee that we are accountable to our customers instead of a faraway banker."

We strive to serve our customers, not outside investors. By becoming employee-owned, the individual and collective hard work of the Dynadot team will continue to drive the company's success in the long term. Our employees can feel secure that a merger or acquisition will not throw them off course, allowing them to perform confidently in their roles. Most importantly, we can continue to keep our customers at the forefront of our efforts.
GoDaddy: "We'll offer you $800 million to join the GD family"

Dynadot: Ok then

•••
GoDaddy: "We'll offer you $800 million to join the GD family"

Dynadot: Ok then
First they will put GoDaddy's request in a queue and after 5 minutes reply, ok.

•••
•••
commissions on all godaddy platforms will now probably come down to15% or godaddy will have to buy another company in the future ,I think godaddy is planning more to the service side ,they are getting the first signs of the new home business,and want to be the king. They are absolutly making a killing on the mom and pop and small company sales ,when the average small company just buys a handreg godaddy usually closes the bill at 200/300 clams just for the domain because customers just keep the bullshit upsells, Media Options is now their next target,and godaddy is scared shit of them,MO ,should really give up on allthis nft shit and give godaddy a run for their money ,or andrew can just sell everything and walk away with 50-100 mil

Last edited:
•••
This is going to make Sav looks good!!

Simple Q, why what the main business reason GD buy Dan?

It is like Microsoft buying Apple.....competition is good!!

•••
•••
•••
Poor domainers..

it's ok cause domain sales are way down for most... so nobody really cares for dan or.gd or whatever cause they ain't making sales. of course 20 will reply to this saying they make tons of sales... so say hello to the lucky 1percent

•••
All the best DAN

bahahah yea dan owners gonna be sailng it on yachts in Bali next to oligarchs bahahhaha when all said done cash is king

Last edited:
•••
commissions on all godaddy platforms will now probably come down to15% or godaddy will have to buy another company in the future ,I think godaddy is planning more to the service side ,they are getting the first signs of the new home business,and want to be the king. They are absolutly making a killing on the mom and pop and small company sales ,when the average small company just buys a handreg godaddy usually closes the bill at 200/300 clams just for the domain because customers just keep the bullshit upsells, Media Options is now their next target,and godaddy is scared shit of them,MO ,should really give up on allthis nft shit and give godaddy a run for their money ,or andrew can just sell everything and walk away with 50-100 mil
SH and Namesilo might be next if Gd wants the SMEs and Mom and Pop businesses.

They might even eye Radix for those launching on alternative TLDs.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
why ? I think it's a good move.
All my domains are at GoDaddy. I have had an account almost since they started.

I have sold many domains via GoDaddy auctions, premium listings, buy service, Afternic, etc.

With that said, how is this possibly good for investors? Less competition is generally never good.

If they just bought Dan.com, didn't change much, and were fine with simply capturing the market share they did not before then fine, but all roads lead to higher fees IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
All my domains are at GoDaddy. I have had an account almost since they started.

I have sold many domains via GoDaddy auctions, premium listings, buy service, Afternic, etc.

With that said, how is this possibly good for investors? Less competition is generally never good.

If they just bought Dan.com, didn't change much, and were fine with simply capturing the market share they did not before then fine, but all roads lead to higher fees IMO.

Brad
Well said,
I can't agree more.

•••
FWIW I'm switching my landers until there is more clarity on this.

I have genuine concerns about fees and continuity of payment plans.

•••

I have (2) pending payment plans.

Legally I think GoDaddy would have to honor these. When you buy a company you are acquiring assets, debts, and pre-existing contracts.

Brad

•••

To where? Sav? Question to everyone? What are your experiences with Sav landers? It takes time for money to reach seller's bank account is one concern I have heard.

•••
•••
This is my concern as well.
@Paul Nicks

Can you please clarify what GoDaddy intends to do with existing contracts, some of which have many years left?

It should really be a relatively simply answer - GoDaddy intends to honor the existing contracts and terms.

Brad

•••
@Paul Nicks

Can you please clarify what GoDaddy intends to do with existing contracts, some of which have many years left?

It should really be a relatively simply answer - GoDaddy intends to honor the existing contracts and terms.

Brad
I think they should provide more details. This slow reveal and uncertainty is not good. In fairness, on GD announcement they said this deal will complete ”last quarter of 2022” so there should be plenty of time to make adjustments to our portfolios if needed.

•••
•••
This makes little sense media options had a deal with dan ,so they either are made whole or rosner is looking for an exit too,the last dmain sherpa was very gloomy as far as deals and the sherpas optimism was negative ,usually they as taking about bs high price sales of crappy domains ,maybe this industry comes down to 3 major players sort of like a verizon fios ,spectrum dish

•••
•••
•••

I wouldn't be too worried about current payment plans. I am pretty sure GoDaddy will both have to and want to keep them as they are.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back