Dynadot

warning If you intend to use Domain Agents

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is a heads up on a service that calls himself Domain Agents ….you may or may not have gotten emails from them .
i did get many over the past several years ….always with someone making an lowball offer on a good domain .
they advertise that you will get $ 10 if you enter negotiations .( and that is how they get you ) .
like i said i got many offers over the years and i never ever worked out because of the ridiculous lowball offers people make . Anyhow i still get the $ 10 ( they always paid ) sometimes it takes a little while but you get it .

however , they only provide support when and if it fits their agenda …i wrote a support ticket well over a week ago to someone supposedly named Robert , who initially contacted me with the offer …he never replied to me support email that i will not use escrow.com ( escrow.com and i do not see eye to eye when it comes to run an honest business , so i plainly refuse using escrow.com for the past 10 years )

today i contacted domain agents support again and again on my new issue no reply ( because it does not fit their agenda ) i ask them to cancel the negotiations of a certain domain .

here is the issue ….person makes an offer , i make an counter offer ….person makes another offer ( $ 4500 + commission he has to pay as this is by default ) and i make an offer $ 5000 and i pay all Commission on sedo ( at least 20 % ) ….so my offer is actually cheaper for the buyer …..no way he can turn that down …. But he does in a big way ….he counters that he and his team evaluating several domains and need more time to decide which domain to buy .

So the buyer clearly plays games and is not really interested in buying . So i cancel the negotiations. After another week the buyer does exactly the same thing word by word …this time i ignore the complete thing and the emails tell me if i don't react the negotiations will be ending ….WRONG …just hours before the deadline this so-called buyer again word by word tells that his team are evaluating several domains and need more time to decide which domain to buy . I again cancel the negotiations ( now almost a month ) and tell them that there is no need to decide which domain because my domain is no longer for sale ( which btw appraises even higher on the godaddy appraisal software ) and i write another support ticket to domain agents to cancel negotiations …of course no response .

so if you ever use domain agents , be aware that there support does not answer you ( kinda just like escrow.com ) and that you have no way to end negotiations with a idiot who makes a game out of fake negotiations .

you have been warned about domain agents !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry, it is a holiday in North America, so we weren't able to reply more quickly.

The negotiation has been cancelled for you as requested.

We can use other Escrow services if a buyer or seller is not able to use Escrow.com, so we would have accommodated you if an agreement was reached.

Best of luck with the name.

•••
We can use other Escrow services if a buyer or seller is not able to use Escrow.com, so we would have accommodated you if an agreement was reached.

Well, that's a new one, because a few months ago you cancelled my $4k sale because I refused to send my ID scan to the other side of the ocean, as is for some reason required by escrow.com while in plain violation of GDPR.

Quote from your e-mail: "In case you are unwilling the verify your Escrow account and have the transaction secured by Escrow, we will have no other choice but to cancel the transaction. And, I will inform the buyer."

Last edited:
•••
Actually july the 3th is not a holiday …stock market was also open until 1 pm …

•••
Most of our staff is in Canada where July 3rd is a holiday this year since July 1st fell on a weekend.

•••
So , june 07 2022 @ 10:08 am until today was also a holiday as i still have not received a reply from support on the non escrow.com issue i wrote to robert at domainagents ….it looks like you should have staff that does not live in canada if they have monthlong holidays there …

•••
I've been using DomainAgents in the past, and also had the feeling that the site had been abandoned when I had issues managing my portfolio (technical errors).

Last edited:
•••
I am posting to say that while I have not dealt with them directly in the past few years, Domain Agents, was the facilitator of my first ever sale (X,XXX) and the transfer was handled by escrow.com. I may be remembering it with "rose-colored" glasses, but it seemed like professional platform and obviously worked to some degree of success!

I welcome any emails from the Domain Agents, as they've proven to be able to make a sale.

•••
Sold 2 domains through them, no issues. Third sale fell through however, the buyer stopped responding after my counter and the agents also weren't very responsive, perhaps they forgot all about this deal lol. Kind of weird to have so little engagement when the opening offer is 5-figs

•••
Domainagents might want to publicly clarify what other escrow services they are ready to use for transactions. Both here and on the domainagents website. I, for one, always ignore domainagents emails exactly because of this, I do not want to sell via escrow.com .

•••
Domainagents might want to publicly clarify what other escrow services they are ready to use for transactions. Both here and on the domainagents website. I, for one, always ignore domainagents emails exactly because of this, I do not want to sell via escrow.com .
Same here.

•••
I was thinking I'm the only one refusing to use escrow.com, because they want phone calls or IDs.
It is good to see that others are also refusing to obey such demands (instead of " living " (not caring)).
We need to increase pressure against
-unremovable batteries in laptops and smartphones
-blutoothed headphones
-cameras with wireless, and connecting to fb or yt easily (what a convenience)
-closed source operating systems
-and any iot

Same pressure needed against Sav, Namejet, Snap.. etc. all want ID.

Domainagents have a good domain, and they won't cheat unless they have a big fish (or lots of simultaneous fishes). I could also use them if they didn't demand using escrow.com fror transfer.
And they could buy from me at Sedo as usual, and transfer the domain to the buyer simultaneously, but they don't/won't.
I don't think they (or anyone else except Epik) would split their company into 3 parts, make one of them buy another, and leave the most problematic part alone and not accept any responsibility on less problematic looking part. It is Epik's unique invention to wash their hands.

•••
I was thinking I'm the only one refusing to use escrow.com, because they want phone calls or IDs............

"me too"

I havent used escrow.com, but more importantly any company, who utilizes KYC/AML document intake requirement.

I have canceled transactions and most times I will get direct contact from the buyer and will find another way even if its direct and personal.

My (US-based) bank collected my PII when I opened my accounts. They have it on file. The mere fact that the money is going into that account is all that is necessary IMO. Everything else is over the top or even data collection. I trust no one.

I can go into details about KYC/AML/PII, with respect to why I reject it all, but its mostly off-topic for this post.

Oh, dont get me started on ANPR cameras popping up all over the place. :xf.rolleyes:

Lets just say there are a good number of people who are against all of this, we're not alone.

•••
Escrow .com has a number of issues after they were acquired, and demanding KYC (which also applies to buyers, and, in case of a legal entity they would ask for KYC on the company AND their representative, how about impulse buying and EU GDPR?) is not the only issue. General customer service is something they also downgraded. While there is nothing illegal in domainagents offerings, and I do not expect them to poentially cheat as topdom suggests (they are here to earn $$$, and escrow .com has built-in "pay to broker" feature), by using escrow .com domainagents in fact does not provide an expected service to their buyers, still charging $69 to try:

- many sellers would rather not sell the domain at all than touch escrow .com

- those sellers who are unaware how escrow .com works may be unable to finalize the transaction [or to open an account with escrow .com if they reside in a restricted country - the list is large]

- not all potential buyers would be ready to submit KYC docs just to be able to purchase someting online /one time/

Last edited:
•••
Escrow .com has a number of issues after they were acquired, and demanding KYC (which also applies to buyers, and, in case of a legal entity they would ask for KYC on the company AND their representative, how about impulse buying and EU GDPR?) is not the only issue. General customer service is something they also downgraded. While there is nothing illegal in domainagents offerings, and I do not expect them to poentially cheat as @twiki suggests (they are here to earn $$$, and escrow .com has built-in "pay to broker" feature), by using escrow .com domainagents in fact does not provide an expected service to their buyers, still charging $69 to try:

- those sellers who are unaware how escrow .com works may be unable to finalize the transaction [or to open an account with escrow .com if they reside in a restricted country - the list is large]

- not all potential buyers would be ready to submit KYC docs just to be able to purchase someting online /one time/

Where did I suggest anyone to cheat on anything?

Maybe you linked the wrong domainer here.

Edit:

Last edited:
•••
Maybe you linked the wrong domainer here
So sorry!!! I was definitely typing another name!!! Starting with "t" :(((
Fortunately, was able to edit the post - wasn't late.
Thank you for noticing!

Last edited:
•••
"me too"

I havent used escrow.com, but more importantly any company, who utilizes KYC/AML document intake requirement.

I have canceled transactions and most times I will get direct contact from the buyer and will find another way even if its direct and personal.

My (US-based) bank collected my PII when I opened my accounts. They have it on file. The mere fact that the money is going into that account is all that is necessary IMO. Everything else is over the top or even data collection. I trust no one.

I can go into details about KYC/AML/PII, with respect to why I reject it all, but its mostly off-topic for this post.

Oh, dont get me started on ANPR cameras popping up all over the place. :xf.rolleyes:

Lets just say there are a good number of people who are against all of this, we're not alone.

It's funny, what do you expect, of course they need to know who you are since they're working legally and paying taxes, blame banks then for knowing your identity.

•••

Best of luck with the name.
I never understood your infatuation with Escrow.com

It’s the only thing preventing me from trying your service. Don’t get me wrong, you’re an industry star, whom i respect, but i’m just so glad you clarified this.

Last edited:
•••
Yall are wild man. Can't believe how much complaining about escrow.com there is here.

The hoops escrow.com asks you to jump through are because they're actually running a real escrow business and following the rules. Asking for your ID is a standard part of complying with the regulations.

They're basically the only escrow service that actually provides real escrow. You'll care if you ever have an issue. Epik's shenanigans should be enough to make this point definitively.

I ignore emails from Domain Agents too, because I have better ways to spend my time than responding to BS lowball offers and I don't need the pocket change. But using escrow.com is fine with me and a very normal thing to do.

•••
•••
Escrow .com has a number of issues after they were acquired, and demanding KYC (which also applies to buyers, and, in case of a legal entity they would ask for KYC on the company AND their representative, how about impulse buying and EU GDPR?) is not the only issue. General customer service is something they also downgraded. While there is nothing illegal in domainagents offerings, and I do not expect them to poentially cheat as topdom suggests (they are here to earn $$$, and escrow .com has built-in "pay to broker" feature), by using escrow .com domainagents in fact does not provide an expected service to their buyers, still charging $69 to try:

Sales via GoDaddy auctions over $5,000 are still sent to Escrow.com.

Why? I have no idea. GoDaddy handles all other sales in-house.

But, it is a common failure point.

But, a properly licensed escrow company is likely required to collect this KYC information, even if it is onerous to some users.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
i sold a domain just a few days ago with afternic vor well over the $ 5000 without escrow.com ( afternic is a godaddy company ) different domain than the one i wrote about with domainagents …

Last edited:
•••
i sold a domain just a few days ago with afternic vor well over the $ 5000 without escrow.com ( afternic is a godaddy company ) different domain than the one i wrote about with domainagents …
Yeah, GD is killing only direct auctions sales >5K by sending them to escrow .com; Afternic ones are fine.

•••

Yes, we have to keep in mind the fact that many buyers don't want to have to reveal their identities to another service, let alone the seller if they can avoid it, and therefore balk at using Escrow.com. They want that "touchless" transaction. Still, DomainAgents sometimes reaches sellers whose domains aren't in Sedo or Afternic. They used to be the #1 source of my sales, in past years.

•••
I most certainly will not use domainagents use anymore …. No response here and still no response to my email from last month … and okaydomains was right i also dont need the pocket change or a stupid handout . In addition it shows a lot of arrogance and a lack of willingless to run a honest business by not taking care of issues ( or not even replying to posts on this forum )

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back