Dynadot

warning If you intend to use Domain Agents

NameSilo
Watch
This is a heads up on a service that calls himself Domain Agents ….you may or may not have gotten emails from them .
i did get many over the past several years ….always with someone making an lowball offer on a good domain .
they advertise that you will get $ 10 if you enter negotiations .( and that is how they get you ) .
like i said i got many offers over the years and i never ever worked out because of the ridiculous lowball offers people make . Anyhow i still get the $ 10 ( they always paid ) sometimes it takes a little while but you get it .

however , they only provide support when and if it fits their agenda …i wrote a support ticket well over a week ago to someone supposedly named Robert , who initially contacted me with the offer …he never replied to me support email that i will not use escrow.com ( escrow.com and i do not see eye to eye when it comes to run an honest business , so i plainly refuse using escrow.com for the past 10 years )

today i contacted domain agents support again and again on my new issue no reply ( because it does not fit their agenda ) i ask them to cancel the negotiations of a certain domain .

here is the issue ….person makes an offer , i make an counter offer ….person makes another offer ( $ 4500 + commission he has to pay as this is by default ) and i make an offer $ 5000 and i pay all Commission on sedo ( at least 20 % ) ….so my offer is actually cheaper for the buyer …..no way he can turn that down …. But he does in a big way ….he counters that he and his team evaluating several domains and need more time to decide which domain to buy .

So the buyer clearly plays games and is not really interested in buying . So i cancel the negotiations. After another week the buyer does exactly the same thing word by word …this time i ignore the complete thing and the emails tell me if i don't react the negotiations will be ending ….WRONG …just hours before the deadline this so-called buyer again word by word tells that his team are evaluating several domains and need more time to decide which domain to buy . I again cancel the negotiations ( now almost a month ) and tell them that there is no need to decide which domain because my domain is no longer for sale ( which btw appraises even higher on the godaddy appraisal software ) and i write another support ticket to domain agents to cancel negotiations …of course no response .

so if you ever use domain agents , be aware that there support does not answer you ( kinda just like escrow.com ) and that you have no way to end negotiations with a idiot who makes a game out of fake negotiations .

you have been warned about domain agents !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Escrow.com is our default because they are the best and safest option out there. Unfortunately, domains are often the target of fraud, but we've done over 15000 transactions with Escrow.com and never had any major issues. Recent events with other 'escrow' services highlight how important having a trusted escrow service is.

As for alternatives, it's on a case by case basis and both buyer and seller have to agree on it. Ideally it's discussed during the negotiation. If it's brought up after the fact, it's more likely to cause issues.

•••
edit

Last edited:
•••
This is a heads up on a service that calls himself Domain Agents ….you may or may not have gotten emails from them .
i did get many over the past several years ….always with someone making an lowball offer on a good domain .
they advertise that you will get $ 10 if you enter negotiations .( and that is how they get you ) .
like i said i got many offers over the years and i never ever worked out because of the ridiculous lowball offers people make . Anyhow i still get the $ 10 ( they always paid ) sometimes it takes a little while but you get it .

however , they only provide support when and if it fits their agenda …i wrote a support ticket well over a week ago to someone supposedly named Robert , who initially contacted me with the offer …he never replied to me support email that i will not use escrow.com ( escrow.com and i do not see eye to eye when it comes to run an honest business , so i plainly refuse using escrow.com for the past 10 years )

today i contacted domain agents support again and again on my new issue no reply ( because it does not fit their agenda ) i ask them to cancel the negotiations of a certain domain .

here is the issue ….person makes an offer , i make an counter offer ….person makes another offer ( $ 4500 + commission he has to pay as this is by default ) and i make an offer $ 5000 and i pay all Commission on sedo ( at least 20 % ) ….so my offer is actually cheaper for the buyer …..no way he can turn that down …. But he does in a big way ….he counters that he and his team evaluating several domains and need more time to decide which domain to buy .

So the buyer clearly plays games and is not really interested in buying . So i cancel the negotiations. After another week the buyer does exactly the same thing word by word …this time i ignore the complete thing and the emails tell me if i don't react the negotiations will be ending ….WRONG …just hours before the deadline this so-called buyer again word by word tells that his team are evaluating several domains and need more time to decide which domain to buy . I again cancel the negotiations ( now almost a month ) and tell them that there is no need to decide which domain because my domain is no longer for sale ( which btw appraises even higher on the godaddy appraisal software ) and i write another support ticket to domain agents to cancel negotiations …of course no response .

so if you ever use domain agents , be aware that there support does not answer you ( kinda just like escrow.com ) and that you have no way to end negotiations with a idiot who makes a game out of fake negotiations .

you have been warned about domain agents !

I just got an anonymous offer from DomainAgents a month ago and everything went fine. There were normal little glitches, but I got paid, the domain was transfered, and I have no complaints.

Same for escrow. I would not even bother to try to sell a domain without a good escrow and escrow.com has always been good for me.

Maybe because most of my sales are not out of the country (US).? I don’t know, but my experience has been really good.

Disclaimer, I know the guys that operate DomainAgents and they are very ethical and honestly really nice people. Maybe some of the problem comes from outsourcing customer care? I don’t know. All I know is they’re really nice people and I’ve known them for many many years. If I had a real problem, I have no doubt that they would make things right for me.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe it works for you …i am just informing the domain community about the issues i have/had and with domainagents it is the lack of support …with escrow.com its trust …i personally buy and sell domains for 25 years and my first big transaction was with escrow.com and they screwed me over with not helping me getting my money back during the inspection period where it was found out that the domain i just bought was stolen and netsol moved it out of my account back to the original owner ……escrow did not return my money and said they paid the seller and they have no idea where the money went ….what a scam ….period …stupid me ,.i gave escrow.com a second chance and i used them for 10 or so years on a very regular bases …then ownership change and all of a sudden new rules …all kind of personal info and documents where required , even so i already used them for 10 years with countless transactions ….which is completely over the top as the anti money laundering act , they are citing …which in cases below $ 10000 do not even apply .at some point i even talked to the new owner as they had a promotion where you get a free t shirt if you use them ….i did and i never got the tshirt ( even so i have promised )…i know ,it shouldn’t be a huge deal …but for me it is , as i work only with people i trust and that are honest ….there are plenty of places that run an honest business and i choose to only use them .

•••
Just acquired a 5 figure domain through DomainAgents for a client and I have no complaints whatsoever.

Escrow or no escrow, for your own security/safety try using their concierge service. There are times when you have to abide by the said platform rules in order to receive expected service and complete a secure transaction.

Just sharing my experience!

Last edited:
•••
At Escrow.com. you make a deal, the buyer pays, escrow.com keeps the money, you transfer the domain outside escrow.com, and tell escrow.com that domain was transferred. Then the buyer is supposed to agree, there is nothing to gain for the buyer in not saying "I got the domain", but he can remain quiet (no loss either); and you won't get your money. Since the system is problematic, it is understandable that Escrow.com wants your full info, but instead fix/improve the system, instead of trying to have more tools just in case one side ignores/cheats (and they may use those tools for something else, or not use for their original purpose).

Last edited:
•••
DomainAgents is a complete joke. A high grossing broker shouldn't be advertising a recently negotiated agreement for $520.

Last edited:
•••
I stopped responding if its from them. 90% of what they send is lowball offers from other domainers who for whatever reason want to hide and not go to the lander. Time wasters.

•••
Domain Agents, DomainAgents.com are a waste of time, this dude Robert emails me 10 X, I respond to his last email, and these clowns don't even respond.

Prior to that, they setup a 5 figure deal in escrow, and buyer doesn't pay, and they could care less to follow up.

There is no customer service, or any support follow-up, they just want to churn commissions, could care less about providing any level of communication...Simply time wasters.

Last edited:
•••
So the buyer clearly plays games and is not really interested in buying . So i cancel the negotiations. After another week the buyer does exactly the same thing word by word …this time i ignore the complete thing and the emails tell me if i don't react the negotiations will be ending ….WRONG …just hours before the deadline this so-called buyer again word by word tells that his team are evaluating several domains and need more time to decide which domain to buy . I again cancel the negotiations ( now almost a month ) and tell them that there is no need to decide which domain because my domain is no longer for sale ( which btw appraises even higher on the godaddy appraisal software ) and i write another support ticket to domain agents to cancel negotiations …of course no response ."

I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to buy a domain but whatever agent I use doesn't take the time to contact the owner. The name I wanted was held by one of those sites (actually it was domainagents) that charges $20 ($19.95) to contact the owner with any offer of $20 or more. So I paid the fee and made an offer of $4,000.

The owner never responded and of course the site kept my $20 fee. I then contacted another service where the owner was written up in one of these trade articles as "the hot new domain acquirer becoming famous for domain acquisitions". The domain of interest is listed as being worth $7,000. So I increase my offer to $8K this time. No response. I try to call the famous service to ask them to at least find out the price but THEIR PHONE IS DISCONNECTED. They did respond to an email tho, telling me they got no response and that was it. Also they gave me a little info on the owner so apparently they found who they are.

I'm just an engineer trying to start something. I try to be very logical and not play games. If I said $8K and 6 months later they call me and say "okay", I'd go for it. I sometimes wonder how businesses at "the top of the industry" can have disconnected phone lines.

So it's just not domain sellers that are having a rough time of it but domain buyers as well.

Last edited:
•••
I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to buy a domain but whatever agent I use doesn't take the time to contact the owner. The name I wanted was held by one of those sites (actually it was domainagents) that charges $20 ($19.95) to contact the owner with any offer of $20 or more. So I paid the fee and made an offer of $4,000.

The owner never responded and of course the site kept my $20 fee. I then contacted another service where the owner was written up in one of these trade articles as "the hot new domain acquirer becoming famous for domain acquisitions". The domain of interest is listed as being worth $7,000. So I increase my offer to $8K this time. No response. I try to call the famous service to ask them to at least find out the price but THEIR PHONE IS DISCONNECTED. They did respond to an email tho, telling me they got no response and that was it. Also they gave me a little info on the owner so apparently they found who they are.

I'm just an engineer trying to start something. I try to be very logical and not play games. If I said $8K and 6 months later they call me and say "okay", I'd go for it. I sometimes wonder how businesses at "the top of the industry" can have disconnected phone lines.

So it's just not domain sellers that are having a rough time of it but domain buyers as well.

have you tried to search sedo.com or afternic.com or godaddy.com if the domain is listed for sale ? ….have you checked here the website resolves to ? Many have a for sale notice on the domain with info . another option would be checking the whois and emailing the company where the domain is regged at and ask them to forward your email to the domain owner . I occasionally get forwarded emails from dynadot from potential buyers asking me to sell outside afternic or sedo …

there are many ways to contact a domain owner …if i where you i would first see if the domain is listed for sale at the many sales platforms and if not go the whois route and make good offer …if your offer is low you most likely will not get a response .

•••
have you tried to search sedo.com or afternic.com or godaddy.com if the domain is listed for sale ? ….have you checked here the website resolves to ? Many have a for sale notice on the domain with info . another option would be checking the whois and emailing the company where the domain is regged at and ask them to forward your email to the domain owner . I occasionally get forwarded emails from dynadot from potential buyers asking me to sell outside afternic or sedo …

there are many ways to contact a domain owner …if i where you i would first see if the domain is listed for sale at the many sales platforms and if not go the whois route and make good offer …if your offer is low you most likely will not get a response .
I have not checked the many sales platforms but will do so now.

I did use whois and it's a private registration but lists the state. GoDaddy website evaluator places a value of $7K but that is probably low. I thought my $8K offer was good enough to get a response. The owner has had it for a couple of years and done nothing with it. In this industry I don't think they'll find a new, better buyer. It is expiring next year & I was wondering about trying to register it if they don't renew? That seems unlikely tho.

Thanks for yr comments. I may have to look for an alternate if I can't even get any feedback from the owner tho.

Last edited:
•••

I did use whois and it's a private registration but lists the state. GoDaddy website evaluator places a value of $7K but that is probably low. I thought my $8K offer was good enough to get a response. The owner has had it for a couple of years and done nothing with it. In this industry I don't think they'll find a new, better buyer. It is expiring next year & I was wondering about trying to register it if they don't renew? That seems unlikely tho.
Godaddy domain appraisal tool is very very low based on my experience , i sold countless domains for a multiple of the appraisals without any problems .

•••
I'm very surprised you didn't get a response to your $8k offer. I agree, that definitely seems high enough to warrant a response, even if it's a low offer for the name (impossible to say without knowing the name).

•••

Thanks for yr comments. I may have to look for an alternate if I can't even get any feedback from the owner though.
The GoDaddy valuation means very little and if its not listed for sale anywhere the owner is either keeping it for their own use or has no intention of selling it for less than high dollar amount.

There is no way to know without knowing the name (do not post it here) but if its a one dictionary word or stellar two word with age behind it they probably want significantly more than GD valuation which is more reflective of wholesale pricing.

If it has no lander the other option is contact the privacy email in whois.

•••

DM me directly what you're trying to purchase, and I should be able to help. I won't charge an upfront fee.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back