Dynadot

news Internet Freedom Under Attack Says GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Went to log into GoDaddy and right on the front page I got this..

screencapture-godaddy-1499817095135.png

Here's a link to the full letter from Blake Irving...
https://blakesblog.com/2017/07/netneutrality/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Don't worry, Richard Hendricks & Gavin Belson are building the new internet.

•••
There should be an action against this

•••
•••
i got the same thing (in red) yesterday

what is it?

Virus?

•••
These kinda mesages are so intrusive. and no better than spam.

•••
Here on NamePros too...

19905380_947382095404801_2047942423319725167_n.jpg

This one's keep popping since yesterday (pretty annoying). I know the intention is good but why do they need stuff like my address, phone number?

•••
I signed up already, and it keeps popping up.

•••
I signed up already, and it keeps popping up.

Damn! I almost signed up due to my love for the Internet.
My concern is spammers can use these kind of pop-ups to collect your personal information on some websites (not secure sites Namepros).

•••
•••
•••
I typically try my best to stay away from politics in domaining - but...

The internet was neutral and innovative long before Net Neutrality... As with a lot of modern day laws - this one is actually the opposite of what it sounds like. If anything it will stifle the freedom of the internet as it gives the government the mechanisms for this.

It actually surprises me GD & NPs support it. I personally don't approve.

This law was passed under the guise of keeping internet companies from throttling data speeds - but it has much more to do with FCC type control of what was a free internet.

Everyone please do your research before you choose to sign a form to support something.

@Joe Styler @Eric Lyon - I am disappointed in your platforms promoting this. If you recall a lot of internet companies were actually posting forms AGAINST this a couple of years ago. Has this law helped your companies or customers? NO.

Last edited:
•••
I typically try my best to stay away from politics in domaining - but...

The internet was neutral and innovative long before Net Neutrality... As with a lot of modern day laws - this one is actually the opposite of what it sounds like. If anything it will stifle the freedom of the internet as it gives the government the mechanisms for this.

It actually surprises me GD & NPs support it. I personally don't approve.

This law was passed under the guise of keeping internet companies from throttling data speeds - but it has much more to do with FCC type control of what was a free internet.

Everyone please do your research before you choose to sign a form to support something.

@Joe Styler @Eric Lyon - I am disappointed in your platforms promoting this. If you recall a lot of internet companies were actually posting forms AGAINST this a couple of years ago. Has this law helped your companies or customers? NO.
This! Don't just stop at the title of the proposal or bill.

•••
I am curious if GD & NPs are taking this stance in interest of their customers or is this a political decision?

I am honestly offended as a long time Programmer who used to dial up and connect to a BBS so I could PPP over to the internet. The internet has been the greatest platform for innovation ever created. Why was Net Neutrality not need during it's entire hayday - and what has it done since implemented? Why was this so important for your companies to support?

I personally spend a lot of time at NPs and have a pretty decent profile of domains at GD. Hence why I am so offended that you guys are pushing this...

If you don't mind - can the two of you separately explain why you support Net "Neutrality" ?

@Joe Styler @Eric Lyon

•••
stub said:
These kinda mesages are so intrusive. and no better than spam.

Intrusive? Yes. Spam? No.

Net neutrality concerns all who use the internet, this is relevant information and I'd strongly urge anyone in the States to show their support.

•••

Net neutrality concerns all who use the internet, this is relevant information and I'd strongly urge anyone in the States to show their support.

And I strongly urge them to read up on the law, think about it logically, and then make a decision rather to sign or not. True internet freedom would be for "Net Neutrality" to go away since it is nothing but the over-regulation of an industry that was thriving and operating Freely on it's own. You will lose your rights on the Internet over this law - not gain any.

•••
No need for NPs to respond here - as they did on this thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/battle-for-the-net-july-12-petition-popup.1029678/

I would still love to hear from GoDaddy on why they support this and how this was not a political decision for them.

For all the innocent bi-standers - I apologize. I very rarely go on "rants" on these boards and always try to stay positive and helpful. But I am offended that Internet companies are pushing support for a political cause that opposes the industry.

If people will remember back just a little while ago - a lot of internet companies had the exact opposite popup asking people to oppose Net Neutrality. That may have been just as wrong - but obviously this debate isn't as cut an dry as these popups seem. Otherwise everyone could get behind the same idea of "Internet Freedom"

Net Neutrality - in my opinion and many others - will do nothing but stifle the industry and increase costs in the name of preventing "bad ISPs" from throttling your data.

I will not rant any more about this, but I will continue respond to this thread if conversation continues.

Last edited:
•••
No need for NPs to respond here - as they did on this thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/battle-for-the-net-july-12-petition-popup.1029678/

I would still love to hear from GoDaddy on why they support this and how this was not a political decision for them.

For all the innocent bi-standers - I apologize. I very rarely go on "rants" on these boards and always try to stay positive and helpful. But I am offended that Internet companies are pushing support for a political cause that opposes the industry.

If people will remember back just a little while ago - a lot of internet companies had the exact opposite popup asking people to oppose Net Neutrality. That may have been just as wrong - but obviously this debate isn't as cut an dry as these popups seem. Otherwise everyone could get behind the same idea of "Internet Freedom"

Net Neutrality - in my opinion and many others - will do nothing but stifle the industry and increase costs in the name of preventing "bad ISPs" from throttling your data.

I will not rant any more about this, but I will continue respond to this thread if conversation continues.
That's an interesting point you raise on why companies like GD would concern themselves with this issue. I'm too cynical to believe it's only for the good of users.

•••
Exactly. To me, although others may disagree - this is a purely political position. I think I explained above and on the other thread how - so as I promised I will do my best to not rant again without being prodded. :)

I am soooo tired of politics because they have become so nasty these days. So it makes me a little sick to my stomach to login to my favorite sites and see them taking a position. To top it off - from my point of view - it is a position against the industry they are in.

•••
@Michael M, your ignorance is spreading misinformation. Learn what you're writing about or stay out of it.

The fact that you think you understand this better than one of the largest tech companies in the world (GoDaddy) is preposterous. You don't have a clue what you are writing about, and I'll tell you why.

Your primary argument is that if an internet service provider (ISP) does something deplorable, then consumers will unite together and abandon ship! While this may sound plausible in your fantasy world, it lacks reality. The greater part of America does not get to choose their ISP.

In rural areas, there is seldom more than a single choice: satellite. Consumers rarely have the luxury of abundance and choice, and when they do, their financial means tend to restrain them to a single provider.

In cities, most consumers are beholden to property owners who make those decisions, generally based wholly on profits without regard for the consumer. I have rented places all over (as do ~31.8% of Americans in 2017) and experienced this firsthand. Want to change your ISP? Too bad; it's not an option. Want to move somewhere else? That's too expensive and impractical for the majority of Americans.

The remaining few who would take the time and money, and have the capability, to switch providers would not be enough to offset the profits those companies were making from controlling the internet in their favor.

To make it more impossible, every major ISP would be doing it. If not right away, then absolutely as soon as they were attacked by one of their competitors. The only uncorrupted choices left would be smaller ISPs, which aren't available everywhere.

Yes, net neutrality protects the less fortunate more than it does the wealthy, which you seem to represent. Stop misrepresenting the issue or take a hike. Minds far greater than yours have already weighed the pros and cons, and your attempts to undermine and insult their intelligence is deplorable.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Last edited:
•••
@Addison

Wow... If that is not political and slanted statement then I do not know what is. Politics don't belong in business (as represented to your customers).

Also calling me ignorant is a traditional diversion tactic.

It comes down to a certain political group thinks the American people are too stupid to defend themselves in any situation and that government control is better - and the other political group thinks the free economy is better and people are big boys. (yes I worded that politically)

I don't want to get too political here, and I wont. So I can't address your post point by point or it will just be a bunch of arguing back and forth on cause and effect - and what method of government is better.

But the internet was plenty free long before Net Neutrality, and will not be as free long after it IMO. But you will be able to stream your NetFlix, so win there. (y)

My point is - THIS IS POLITICAL. Businesses should never push partisan issues - especially when the subjects are not so cut and dry.

These popups are being presented as fact and is indeed not a Fact but one opinion of how things work in this world and what the results of these actions will result in. Politics.

Either way the internet will be here tomorrow. So no huge deal, but these popups are misleading, intrusive, and one-sided.

At least godaddy didn't go the popup method as it is much more intrusive and misleading people into signing a petition they may know nothing about. Go daddy only has a "note of support" But still "not cool"

Last edited:
•••
FYI and I shouldn't engage but - I didn't leave the democrats. They left me.

I am honestly about as middle of the road as you can get - I am just an optimist and realist and believe in people and the system on the internet that has created the prosperous economy the world has gotten to enjoy without being regulated by the FCC.

And I am far from rich and far from ignorant (as if I need to defend myself). I just have a different opinion than you.

I do not hate you for opinion. I don't think it makes you stupid, just narrow-minded. I don't shove my beliefs down your mouth, and I wouldn't use my website to support any of my political causes. If I did I would feel inclined and obligated to present both sides of the argument for the public to decide.

To add: I do not associate with the republicans either. Both parties are insane and out of control IMO. I support the Internet Industry/Community and the continued freedom/innovation of it.

Last edited:
•••

It's spam to me. A total unwanted message which you can't get rid of. Which keeps popping up. Extremely annoying. I thought I'd been infected by a virus.

•••
I am curious if GD & NPs are taking this stance in interest of their customers or is this a political decision?

I am honestly offended as a long time Programmer who used to dial up and connect to a BBS so I could PPP over to the internet. The internet has been the greatest platform for innovation ever created. Why was Net Neutrality not need during it's entire hayday - and what has it done since implemented? Why was this so important for your companies to support?

I personally spend a lot of time at NPs and have a pretty decent profile of domains at GD. Hence why I am so offended that you guys are pushing this...

If you don't mind - can the two of you separately explain why you support Net "Neutrality" ?

@Joe Styler @Eric Lyon
Net Neutrality is the current norm now. What I am against is a change in the status quo not a new regulation. There has been a lot written about net neutrality already a google search will bring up some good summaries but in a nutshell it is the idea of keeping the internet a level playing field for an average person or small company and a big company. The new regulations would allow for an ISP to charge more for people to get preferential treatment. For instance if I were starting a new Netflix or Youtube my video would be throttled in its delivery to you if I didn't pay more to deliver it meaning Internet Giants such as Youtube and Netflix could afford to pay more and their videos would load fast and my new idea for a great service would load slow and potentially gain less traction. There is more to it than that, but my personal belief is this is going to hurt innovation, small business, and entrepreneurs and enable bigger businesses to have an advantage. One of the great things about the Internet in my opinion is that is gives everyone an equal opportunity for success and for their product, service, voice, to be seen and heard. I have voiced my opinion officially to the govt on several occasions including today. This is US only policy and if you would like to make your voice heard you can express a comment using the following link https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/proceedings?q=name:((17-108))
(stepping down from soapbox)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back