IT.COM

advice Lesson in Chinese spelling

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
Ive been trying to find posts that explains how the Chinese create words. I realized vowels are not utilized as in English but if any on cares to outline further how words are formed and what letter combinations are appropriate.

I know v and aeiou are not used much .

:xf.grin:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes I know but i d liked so examples of words that are used for example how would u spell :

Auto
Sales
Gold
Domains

Etc?

Is certain letter combinations used more than others?

Like yp, mnc, zx, QP etc?

Not sure if I'm explaining myselef clearly .

I see alot of 4 letter domains linked qxzw jpky etc but do the majority have a meaning off they just random letters that are possible acronyms in any language?

I saw a thread that said certain 2 letter combos are codes for cities

•••
Vowels are used as much as English, as without vowels, words are almost impossible to pronounce.

What is different is the frequency of the first letters of a Chinese character in pinyin. No Chinese character in pinyin begins in I, U or V. And the number of Chinese characters in pinyin that begins in A, E & O are lesser than the other letters.

•••
Yes I know but i d liked so examples of words that are used for example how would u spell :

Auto
Sales
Gold
Domains

Gold is Jin
Domains is Yu Ming

•••

Auto
Sales
Gold
Domains

Etc?

Is certain letter combinations used more than others?

Like yp, mnc, zx, QP etc?

Not sure if I'm explaining myselef clearly .

I see alot of 4 letter domains linked qxzw jpky etc but do the majority have a meaning off they just random letters that are possible acronyms in any language?

I saw a thread that said certain 2 letter combos are codes for cities
You use the link I gave you.

•••
OK thanks!

Do the Chinese use any other spelling method other than pinyin ?

Is there a different spelling for most words in mandarin compared to Cantonese?

So is gold spelled different in either language or is it the same?

Is pinyin used in both mandarin and Cantonese?

Sorry but its all new to me as its pretty different obviously compared to english.

:xf.eek:

•••
There are various romanisation methods of the Chinese Language. Pinyin is the official one used right now in the teaching of the language in many countries including mine in Singapore. In Taiwan, Bopomofo instead of Pinyin is most commonly used, but I think they are also adopting Pinyin in their education now.

The Pinyin we used here is called HanYu PinYin. HanYu is standard Mandarin that the whole of China used. HanYu when spoken is called PuTongHua (common speech) in China or GuoYu (national language) in Taiwan. In Singapore it's called HuaYu (chinese language).

Cantonese is a dialect and is spoken differently than Mandarin. Personally to me, Cantonese is like another language and I don't understand 90% of it. Cantonese is a popular dialect as it is used in Hong Kong, Macau and Guangdong, the most populous province of China.

And yes, there is Cantonese PinYin, which is different from HanYu PinYin. Besides Cantonese PinYin, there's also Jyutping.

The spelling is the same in Chinese. It's the pronunciation that varies. Same Chinese characters but pronounced differently.

If you want to go further, the way words are written are also different in China (simplified) and Taiwan (traditional).

I'm already confused now.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
There seems to be various romanisation methods of the Chinese Language. Pinyin is the official one used right now in the teaching of the language in many countries including mine in Singapore. In Taiwan, Bopomofo instead of Pinyin is most commonly used, but I think they are also adopting Pinyin in their education now.

The Pinyin we used here is called HanYu PinYin. HanYu is standard Mandarin that the whole of China used. Hanyu is called PuTongHua (common speech) in China or GuoYu (national language) in Taiwan. In Singapore it's called HuaYu (chinese language).

Cantonese is a dialect and is spoken differently than Mandarin. Personally to me, Cantonese is like another language and I don't understand 90% of it. Cantonese is a popular dialect as it is used in Hong Kong, Macau and Guangdong, the most populous province of China.

And yes, there is Cantonese PinYin, which is different from HanYu PinYin. Besides Cantonese PinYin, there's also Jyutping.

I'm already confused now.

Man that's a mind bender for sure! Then there's the use of numbers as well that's been covered in other posts so combining numbers with letters too is another added level to the already confusing language(s)!

OK then so what I'm wondering is that Chinese brandablke domains should do quite well then because what's seems as jibberish to an english speaking person possibly would be sensible to an Asian

Just as a bad example using jin as a core word a bandable domain like JINQZ would be of some use to as Chinese gold brandable domain buyer?

Just wondering if Chinese brandables is even viable now?

:xf.grin:

•••
Numbers make no sense to me. But don't take my words, as my first language is English.

To me, numbers in Chinese is no different than numbers in English.

Eg. 520 (pronounced Wu Er Ling, see: pinyin can starts with E too) sounds similar to I Love You (Pinyin Wo Ai Ni, see: another pinyin that starts with A). Read somewhere that 512 also means I Love You in Chinese. See why they make no sense to me now?

No different than 4 can be use as For and 2 can be used as To and 1 can be used as Want etc in English.

So, don't PM me whether any random number has any Chinese meaning. It's like me asking you why 143 means I Love You in English. lol.

The only concrete thing in this post is that there are Chinese PinYins starting with A & E. Maybe LLLL.com with A & E but without I, U & V should correct their values closer to the prices of Chinese Premium LLLL.com. lol

Last edited:
•••
Holy s#@t how did they ever come up with all that to communicate?

Thx for the info its as clear as mud! Lol

:xf.confused:

•••
Numbers make no sense to me. But don't take my words, as my first language is English.

Eg. 520 (pronounced Wu Er Ling, see: pinyin can starts with E too) sounds similar to I Love You (Pinyin Wo Ai Ni, see: another pinyin that starts with A). Read somewhere that 512 also means I Love You in Chinese. See why they make no sense to me now?

No different than 4 can be use as For and 2 can be used as To and 1 can be used as Want etc in English.

So, don't PM me whether any random number has any Chinese meaning. It's like me asking you why 143 means I Love You in English. lol.

The only concrete thing in this post is that there are Chinese PinYins starting with A & E. Maybe LLLL.com with A & E but without I, U & V should correct their values closer to the prices of Chinese Premium LLLL.com. lol

So a domain like ezxy dot com would be worth more than viuv dot com?

•••
•••
So a domain like ezxy dot com would be worth more than viuv dot com?

Yes to me, based on the reason why Chinese Premium LLLL.com is valued.

For example should AHLL.com not worth as much as the floor value of Chinese Premium LLLL.com? Anhui is a Chinese province with almost 60 million population.

Another Example Xi'an is a Chinese city of 7 million (more than the population of Hong Kong). XALL.com should not be worth less than $200 at current prices ya?

Go to LLLLSales.com and see how much AHLL.com and XALL.com are selling.

That's why I think floor prices for LLLL.com with As or Es but without I, U and V should correct nearer to the floor prices of Chinese Premium LLLL.com.

Who's with me?

•••
Yes to me, based on the reason why Chinese Premium LLLL.com is valued.

For example should AHLL.com not worth as much as the floor value of Chinese Premium LLLL.com? Anhui is a Chinese province with almost 60 million population.

Another Example Xi'an is a Chinese city of 7 million (more than the population of Hong Kong). XALL.com should not be worth less than $200 at current prices ya?

Go to LLLLSales.com and see how much AHLL.com and XALL.com are selling.

That's why I think floor prices for LLLL.com with As or Es but without I, U and V should correct nearer to the floor prices of Chinese Premium LLLL.com.

Who's with me?

I'm probably wrong, but often it seems a great deal of the LLLL market is not dictated so much by what China determines as valuable, but by what traders determine that China will determine as valuable. Same with numerics to a degree.

A different topic probably - but you have to wonder if the Chinese market will get more fluid in the very near future. I read an article somewhere that the population s getting younger, and the youth have less tradition/superstition than the older generation - will that mean a swing in dialects and cultural influences yet unknown?

•••
I c at llllsales.com that they list a quad premium pricing chart which states no j k q u v w x y z.

So any of these letters obviously lowers the value of such domains.

I'm presuming quad premium means the very best possible?

But the premium domains price chart says no aeiou but they values are higher.

I'm not sure I follow exactly . can u explain more? I think I get bit but still a bit confused.

Good to know tho!

:xf.wink:

•••
My opinion is that Chinese will keep influencing the market in several ways.
No one for example seems to have thought of all those Chinese and Chinese descendants who now live in in other countries but still have Chinese names.
The point is : we will see the price of Hybrid Chinese lllls grow esponentially; by hybrid Chinese names I mean those formed by the Chinese name & surname initials + English ( or any other language ) characters.

•••
quad premium pricing chart which states no j k q u v w x y z.

That's because the market has always been based on the English language, but the game has changed in the past year or so

•••
Even some Chinese are confused.

Read the comments in my МХKС auction.

•••
Even some Chinese are confused.

Read the comments in my МХKС auction.

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but I couldn't follow what he was trying to relate in his comments until after a couple readings.

With the cultural insight, research and balanced manner you have, Jen-Sin I see a brokerage position in your future.

•••
I c at llllsales.com that they list a quad premium pricing chart which states no j k q u v w x y z.

I'm not sure I follow exactly . can u explain more? I think I get bit but still a bit confused.

Good to know tho!

This is investment gamble as how Chinese invest in stock and it goes double within 6 month as speculators keep rising the value, same thing happened here non chinese has started buying by seeing the chinese trend so if you have any business plan or feel this name make sense just pay the price and buy right now , who knows it go double next year and you loose it , that's why all that sale with even vowels.

Now do you think whoever are paying above 1k is going to sale under $500 no way they going to hold till they get good return which going to create more shortage of 4l.com in market and eventually value will go up for all the holders like how it happen in 3l.com and 3n.com

•••

143 - I Love You 1 letter 4 letter 3 letter It'got it's start as a mom's secret code for kids
Cheers

•••

Good to know tho!

They may not be worth millions or even hundreds of thousands but they do have value

Xfd.com was sold for a six-figure CNY price.

Hzl.com was sold for ¥237,000 CNY (approximately $35,153 USD) in an auction.

•••
Pinyin is the trend across all Chinese communities in the world, including Hong Kong and Taiwan. If you are interested in the meanings of numbers and letters, see the following two pages on my site.

Coreile.com/123
Coreile.com/abc

•••
Pinyin is the trend across all Chinese communities in the world, including Hong Kong and Taiwan...

I beg to differ. Taiwanase and Cantonese use a different kind of "Pinyin" than the one in use in PRC (Mainland China), where words and names are transcribed very differently. A couple examples:

重庆
PRC Pinyin: CQ as in ChongQing
Taiwanese: CK as in ChungKing

There's a well known market building in Tsim Sha Tsui here in HK, called Chungking Mansion. Been coming to HK for ages not realizing this was ChongQing Mansion until one day noticed the name written in Chinese characters. Obviously, where Mainland Chinese names are concerned, the Cantonese in HK use the old, Chinese Nationalist style transcription, same as the Taiwanese.

中山
PRC Pinyin: ZS as in ZhongShan
Taiwanese: CS as in ChungSan

I used these examples as both are names of important cities in Mainland China, where the majority of the Chinese living there are unfamiliar with the old style transcription. Hence, you want to target 4L or 5L .com's starting with CQ and ZS and not CK and CS (as far as these particular examples go). That is unless you want CS as in 长沙(ChangSha), the capital city of Hunan province. Offhand, can't think of any major city for CK...

As for the Cantonese dialect, where Pinyin does not apply at all:

香港
Pinyin: XG as in XiangGang
Cantonese: HK as in Hong Kong
(Yes - the same 2 Chinese characters are pronounced and transcribed very differently in Putonghua/Mandarin and Cantonese; unsurprisingly, the English name's obviously based on the Cantonese version)

Hence, a 4L or 5L domain starting with HK might be of interest to a Cantonese... or a Mainland Chinese interested in 海口 (HaiKou), the capital city of HaiNan province ;)

Disclaimer: I've used simplified character notation and refrained from digressing into the 2 different Chinese "alphabets", as it were, as this is not pertinent to Pinyin transcription and short codes.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back