IT.COM

LLLLL.com (5 Letter) Sales and discussion thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GlobalDomainer

Account Closed
Impact
Hi guys,

Like anyone of you, I am always searching for new trends. For the last 18 months I went really deep into the LLLL. I placed my bets, and now only have to wait for all them 4 letters to be :sold:

So I was thinking. What would be a nice new niche for me to get into? My answer after some thinking and testing is actually quite simple. I decided to invest in quality LLLLL coms. I know I know, it is not actually a new trend and not really a niche. But I tell you, these 5 letter domains can become big business in some time :imho:

Why? Because quality 5 letter domains are extremely brandable. Lots of startups there looking for a brandable short name, especially the web 2.0 based ones. Quality 5 letter domains generate also natural type in traffic as I experienced myself. And ofcourse, it is dotcom based, the only safe bet you can make I believe.

I also believe that not all 5 letter dotcoms will be sold shortly, maybe they will never be. You really need to have quality names. But that is also a question I have for you. What is a quality name in this niche?

So maybe we can make this thread a bit sticky and share thoughts and experiences in developing this part of the domain market.

Oh yeah, just to share this with you. I recently acquired sygar, lyned, jebia, sebod, pifab, pobit, samau and penep.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
5L has been the underachieving, overlooked little brother of 4L for a long time. Nobody ever expected much from him. But times they are a changin. Little brother is growing up and we may have to start looking at this namespace in a different light, the same way we adjusted our perception as digital domains went from 4N to 5N to 6N .. and beyond. We now see value where we once saw folly.

The main thing the 5L "namespace" has going for it is it is .com -- DOT COM! -- and the second best thing is that it is just one letter longer than 4L. One letter. That is not much in the grand scheme of things. Why should one letter be such a curse and a stigma when 2, 3, 4 extra digits are not? One extra letter does not transform a 4L.com into some new gTLD that no one has ever seen before.

Yes, it adds about 11,425,000 names. Granted. That's not nothing. But the domain industry is getting flooded with new domainers and investors and what seemed inconceivable a couple months ago has become commonplace. Buyout after buyout. More domains being registered than ever before. What if this new "digital asset" commoditization of domaining is just getting going? If so, 4L.com will become the new 3L.com and 5L.com will become the new 4L.com. Of course by the time that possibility starts to appear on the horizon all good 5L names will be gone, in Chinese investors long-term portfolios or on the aftermarket selling for many multiples of what they are available for today, ie, regfee. Look at these 3L prices from 2011-12, about what 4L chips get today...
Screen shot 2015-11-22 at 1.51.11 PM.png

If this is just the beginning of a new domaining paradigm, then right now everything is undervalued -- 3L, 4L, and 5L. The big Chinese investors see this. Western domainers steer toward immediate profit. The Chinese seem to understand this is a longer term play.

Prices move up in a spiral. There is an ebb and flow. For example, it is no coincidence that the 4L.com floor (for any 4L, not chips) stalled out at around $300. The standard formula for establishing value is to divide by the number of domains in the lower namespace. $300 over 26 (the number of additional 5L) = $11.50 market value for any 5L. About $4 more than reg fee. That's profit, and that's why the Chinese and Western premiums are getting sucked up right now at the rate of 100,000 per day. They are already worth 5 to 10 times reg fee. Once they are not available for $8.50 any more they will all rise to current market value, which is tied to 4L.com prices, which are tied to 3L.com prices. If the floor for any 3L.com right now is $40k, than any 4L.com should be $1500. 5 times what they currently sell for. If any 4L is worth $1500, then by the same calculus any 5L is worth about $58. And the floor for 3L right now may look cheap in a year from now.

Right now, the availability of 5L.com for reg fee is keeping the floor artificially low on the 4L and 3L spaces. Once the chips are gone we should see an adjustment. 4L and 3L chips will go up and the regular (non-chip) 4L and 3L will get pulled up by their proportionate value (ie, they are worth a proportion of chips). Then the next round of 5L buying will commence. And so on and so forth until all 5L are gone and full market value is achieved. This is where I see things going, and why I'm investing in this space.

The 5L buyout may happen in 3 months, it may happen in 3 years .. or maybe this new "digital asset" paradigm will implode and it won't happen at all. It's a gamble for sure. But for now, what I see is that $8 is the ticket of admission on domains that may already be worth more than that.

Last edited:
•••
I Sold NFTiz.com for 1000 £GBP

•••
•••
If you can generate full list of 5L, you can easily sort the Chinese premium in Microsoft Excel.

I just generated a list of ALL 5L's - 127.63 MB. (took 1.5 hours)

Just split it into 1189 files of 10k domains each.

Now from here, I don't know. I can pull off 33k domain checks per hour, but even at that pace we're talking 13 days non-stop.

To get 'Chinese Premium' I could have just set my generator to 20 characters and let it run, but anyone who is skipping over AEIOUV is just ignoring money right now.

Right now I am checking to see if I can find someone to run the file that has more CPU power than I have to find available names out of the 11mil+ 5L.com list. From there I am going to translate them, and plan on publishing a master list for all to use at their own discretion.

I found a nice way to bulk translate on a large scale, so at this point it's just a matter of doing the availability checks.

•••
I was not born in china, but mandarin is my mother tongue.

sh, bj, gz... at the end... well, might not be the best option to make it there because geolocation always come first in the commercial terms.
still, better than none.
Could make something like wxhsh. 我喜欢上海 (I Like ShangHai)
It's a phrase, not a commercial term though. :xf.smile:

Well I don't really understand what chinese premium letter means, yes , letters like v, u, i... they don't make the first letter of pinyin.
But chinese people (not restricted to china, to all chinese) are very fond of letters like I and U, v could stand for WE. ILU could worth a lot if you get one, means the same in english as "I Love You".

And a, e, o, could make the first letter of chinese pinyin. So, what does chinese premium really mean? to me it makes not much sense, but then again, if there's market and demand, I'll play with the rule. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Even if someone sells at 20$, the list would typically run out. And gradually prices would go up. What we are seeing with .net, .com are just speculative price rise. If not a planned rise to increase their value.

If it could happen for junk names such as .cc (370% increase) selling at 120$ + in a week, then 5L will have equivalent value.

There will be flood of new investors coming in who would now want to invest in millions. So when the big money comes, these domains will go up once again.

This price run will continue atleast for a year before something big happens for the bubble to burst!
4L.net was dead in the water, they are basically forming a $300 floor today. This thing was shot, and left for dead behind the barn.

if they can do this to the .net, 5L .com can run, I am very disciplined when it comes to purchases, but odds favor the 5L.com

•••
List of TOP100 LLLLL.com domain name sales in 2015 (so far)

•••
OK so I checked 5L.com CHIPS which start with one of : "cn", "bj", "gd", "lc", "zx", "kj", "sh"

CN=China BJ= BeiJing the others I don't remember :)

13,846 domains are still available (likely less, as the scan took more than 12 hours)

CN, BJ, GD and SH all regged out.

If you want to check the untaken names, the OpenOffice spreadsheet is attached.

Attachments

• Avail5LChip.ods
    51.5 KB · Views: 25
•••
SMMMM.com
HHHHB.com

MQQQM.com
DDDII.com
BVVVB.com
BDBDB.com
NPNPN.com
LFLFL.com
PRPRP.com
DYDYD.com
IHHHI.com
UYYYU.com
PXPXP.com
FCFCF.com
TGTGT.com
GKGKG.com
HTHTH.com
XFXFX.com
XGXGX.com
BGBGB.com
RFRFR.com
RLRLR.com
GNGNG.com
WHHHW.com
HDHDH.com
URRRU.com
TLTLT.com
PNNNP.com
WRWRW.com
DTDTD.com

•••
•••
•••
I found this prophetic photo from 1929. :D
https://no_url_shorteners/nnHZlx

•••
so basically the NON aiueov thing is some kind hype? Or is there some logical explanation
thanks

Not necessarily a hype. But letters such as a,e,o, have less considerable amount of wordings in chinese, compared to the so called 'chinese premium' letters.

I was thinking, maybe a guy who is rich enough, asked a few staff to grab all domains as many as they could.

"Here you are, 1 million dollar, don't spend over the budget, grab as many 5-letter as you can."

"But what's the criteria?" They asked.

"Hmm... let's see... well, to make things easier, let's go with letters...b,c,d..."

Then there goes the story of so called - "Chinese Premium" letters.

LOL...
Ok ok, I made this story up. But it could be the reality.

Who knows?

•••
Got the list?

... too late

Lol. I told you we were buying them out. Took about 2 hours to buy 2.7k of them. ;)

•••
•••
What do you guys think of Kitcn.com for a fast casual restaurant concept.
42DA796F-2183-41D4-9A48-AEF06DC5E9B0.png

•••
•••
I wrote a post related to 5L sales.

mwzd.com/domain-names/best-sales-platform-brandable-5l-com/

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
They are hard pmin because lets say you were just talking to someone outside at a bar or restaurant, Check out my new site Korkz ? Look there are some decent sales using the z as an s but not with the odd spelling of Kork along with it. How would an end user (who you want to buy the domain) advertise ? On the radio the name would get mis-spelled all the time.

For the most part you want a five letter .com that really cannot be mis-spelled by the majority of the population.

Names like sello.com or nerfy.com, I would say look for names pronounceable to anyone, not domainer pronounceable, domainers are the best in the world at trying to make anything sound pronounceable.

Also if its never been regged, not dropped and available, but never been regged ? There probably is a reason. The pronounceable 5 letter stuff gets picked over pretty well.

Best of luck.

•••
I have had this one for a while, a take on Man Up,

GUp1.png

:)

•••
So crazy in china,the 5L.COM(no AEIOUV)would be registered out.
wow 3,200,000 bulk、bulk、bulk、playing them like in stock marketing.
Chinese Premium 5L.com will open a new chapter。

•••
I put approx. 200 names to search availability, and I found half of them are available...... number of non-Chinese premium is higher.

•••
IMO No one can even guess the market by scanning only 200 domains out of 3.2 million. We need someone to do the whole scanning. ;)

•••
no, you don't.
Most opinion polls are done with around 1000 respondents or less even in a country with 300 million population.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back