Dynadot

Looking for Domain Name Developers to Start a Group in 2022

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Are you a successful domain name developer or seriously interested in domain name development? I'm looking for highly-skilled domain name developers to start a discussion where can share tips about how to develop domain names for profit in 2022. If you have an established skillset in this area and are serious about making money from your domain name investing (by developing your domain names) then please post a list of your three main domain name development skills. No timewasters please. This will be a public discussion, not private messages. Cheers. My three main domain name development skills are 1> Finding high quality local (C.C.T.L.D.) domain names to use for website development 2 > Coming up with profitable traffic and product strategies 3 > Creating websites which get a lot of local traffic from search engines.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It entirely depends on what you want on the user-facing portion of the websites. Is it just static content (text and images) and ads? Then sure, Wordpress or even something simpler is fine.

WP is the most popular cms and runs some of the largest websites. I've seen CRMs, home and vehicle rentals, event management, real-estate and accounting software built on Wordpress. Plugins and events make it extremely flexible and people love it.

If you want dynamic content and you want to build these into larger sites and businesses, then at some point custom becomes the only way to do it. Because no matter which CMS you choose, you are going to be restricted by that platform.
True but most websites are not that large so the choices and compromises are easier.

The best and worse feature of Wordpress is the plugin in system; the trade off is flexibility for security. Inexperienced people install plugins to avoid hiring someone and create different problems.

Try to take your Wordpress site and turn it into a social network. It would be far better to just throw it in the trash and start from scratch than to try and make Wordpress do what you want it to do (and that's exactly what will happen at some point if you start with Wordpress and are successful at building a huge business). That's not necessarily a knock on Wordpress, it's just the nature of building something according to the choices someone else made building their CMS. If you do it yourself, you are the one making those choices and you can craft it to do exactly what you want it to do.

Most people don't need enterprise software. Wordpress can easily scale to 10 of thousands of accounts with hundreds of thousands of pages.

A lot of large businesses run on wordpress and it is a better choice for the average eCommerce shop or car dealership than Wix, Squarspace, weebly, etc.

I would start by identifying exactly what user-facing functionality you are going to need, now and in the future. And determining how much flexibility and customization you're going to need. Then see if there is a CMS that can accommodate that.

Start with what you need and want.

Wordpress is cheap to start with, there is an abundance of documentation, how-to's and experienced people which makes it a good choice for most small businesses.

Last edited:
•••
WP is the most popular cms and runs some of the largest websites. I've seen CRMs, home and vehicle rentals, event management, real-estate and accounting software built on Wordpress. Plugins and events make it extremely flexible and people love it.

True but most websites are not that large so the choices and compromises are easier.

The best and worse feature of Wordpress is the plugin in system; the trade off is flexibility for security. Inexperienced people install plugins to avoid hiring someone and create different problems.

Most people don't need enterprise software. Wordpress can easily scale to 10 of thousands of accounts with hundreds of thousands of pages.

A lot of large businesses run on wordpress and it is a better choice for the average eCommerce shop or car dealership than Wix, Squarspace, weebly, etc.

Wordpress is cheap to start with, there is an abundance of documentation, how-to's and experienced people which makes it a good choice for most small businesses.

And yet no reputable technology company uses Wordpress in any capacity, even for their company blog.

I specifically said I wasn't criticizing Wordpress in an attempt to not get dragged into this sort of subjective argument. If you like Wordpress, that's great. If there is nothing you need Wordpress cannot do, perfect. I don't really care what technology you choose to use.

•••
It's like the difference between buying a 20 year old furnished house, only available in one exact location, which can never be modified. But you can pick your own clothes and food. Or picking your own location and building any house you want, with any endless modifications, filled with anything you want, anywhere in the world.

Not much of a choice imo.

•••
no reputable technology company uses Wordpress in any capacity, even for their company blog
Hmmmmm..... Might have to disagree on that one mate.
  • The White House
  • Disney Books
  • cPanel Blog
  • Inside Blackberry
  • BBC America
  • Creative Commons
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • New York Post
  • Vogue
  • Observer
  • Flickr Blog
  • Reader's Digest
  • Sony Music
  • Official James Bond Website
  • Obama Foundation
  • University of New York
  • Georgia State University
  • Microsoft News
  • TechCrunch
  • The Walt Disney Company
  • Facebook Newsroom
  • Mashable
  • The Rolling Stones
  • Spotify Newsroom
  • Wired
  • I.B.M. Jobs Blog
  • Toyota Brazil
  • Harvard Gazette
  • Mozilla Blog
  • Usain Bolt
  • Etsy Journal
  • Reuters Blog
  • Wall Street Journal Law Blog
  • Time Magazine
  • Angry Birds
  • Katy Perry
  • Official Website of Sweden
  • Playstation Blog
  • Variety
  • A.M.C.
  • Yelp Blog
  • Renault Groupe
  • T.E.D. Blog

•••
And yet no reputable technology company uses Wordpress in any capacity, even for their company blog.

I specifically said I wasn't criticizing Wordpress in an attempt to not get dragged into this sort of subjective argument. If you like Wordpress, that's great. If there is nothing you need Wordpress cannot do, perfect. I don't really care what technology you choose to use.

"If you want dynamic content and you want to build these into larger sites and businesses, then at some point custom becomes the only way to do it. "

https://wordpress.org/showcase/

WP is not enterprise software. I agree with most of what you've said and spent years avoiding WP until I finally decided I would have an open mind and accept it for what it is. Good, user friendly software for small business websites and even large ecommerce websites.

Large user base, good support, inexpensive to customize.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
It's like the difference between buying a 20 year old furnished house, only available in one exact location, which can never be modified. But you can pick your own clothes and food. Or picking your own location and building any house you want, with any endless modifications, filled with anything you want, anywhere in the world.

Not much of a choice imo.

The core of WP has been tested by hackers from all over the world. A lot of old code but still under development and regularly updated.

We agree that frameworks like Laravel or Symfony are more flexible and have a better core but require more expertise.

•••
Hmmmmm..... Might have to disagree on that one mate.
  • The White House
  • Disney Books
  • cPanel Blog
  • Inside Blackberry
  • BBC America
  • Creative Commons
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • New York Post
  • Vogue
  • Observer
  • Flickr Blog
  • Reader's Digest
  • Sony Music
  • Official James Bond Website
  • Obama Foundation
  • University of New York
  • Georgia State University
  • Microsoft News
  • TechCrunch
  • The Walt Disney Company
  • Facebook Newsroom
  • Mashable
  • The Rolling Stones
  • Spotify Newsroom
  • Wired
  • I.B.M. Jobs Blog
  • Toyota Brazil
  • Harvard Gazette
  • Mozilla Blog
  • Usain Bolt
  • Etsy Journal
  • Reuters Blog
  • Wall Street Journal Law Blog
  • Time Magazine
  • Angry Birds
  • Katy Perry
  • Official Website of Sweden
  • Playstation Blog
  • Variety
  • A.M.C.
  • Yelp Blog
  • Renault Groupe
  • T.E.D. Blog

Only a few of those are technology companies. But I do stand corrected on the 'even on their blog' part - as some of those are tech companies and they are using it purely for a blogging/news type thing.

I'm going to exit this thread now. I would encourage you guys to go and learn how to code, so you can understand what I mean. Once you have the ability to build whatever you want, you'll also vomit at the thought of using something like Wordpress.

•••
•••
Only a few of those are technology companies. But I do stand corrected on the 'even on their blog' part - as some of those are tech companies and they are using it purely for a blogging/news type thing.

I'm going to exit this thread now. I would encourage you guys to go and learn how to code, so you can understand what I mean. Once you have the ability to build whatever you want, you'll also vomit at the thought of using something like Wordpress.

I've been using PHP since PHP 3. Keep an open mind and lend your experience. No one is putting your ideas down, we're just speaking from a different experience.

Last edited:
•••
I use Joomla & WordPress

Cheers
Corey

•••
I use Joomla & WordPress
Would be interested in how you view about one vs the other @Corey from perspective of a domainer/developer using a CMS. I realize that may not be a simple question to answer. Thanks.

•••
Would be interested in how you view about one vs the other @Corey from perspective of a domainer/developer using a CMS. I realize that may not be a simple question to answer. Thanks.
As Corey's lead developer partner and having developed since 2004 over 10,000 Joomla! & 2,000 wordpress minisites I have observed the lollowing:-
Joomla! is more flexible and adaptable, but Joomla! is top heavy with files. Often you run out of available file handles on hosting before you run out of disk space. cPanel has limits that can't be over-ridden.
Wordpress is a lot more mature than it was 5 years ago, themes are flexible, widgets have improved. Security is greatly improved. Better for the domainer than Joomla! if they have little software skills.

Overall I still prefer Joomla!, but Wordpress is more accessible , more secure and has a better updating system.

Last edited:
•••
Joomla

NAMEPROS-CDN-PUKE-NETWORK.jpg

•••
@dncafe Do you build websites as well as buy them?

•••
As Corey's lead developer partner and having developed since 2004 over 10,000 Joomla! & 2,000 wordpress minisites I have observed the lollowing:-
Joomla! is more flexible and adaptable, but Joomla! is top heavy with files. Often you run out of available file handles on hosting before you run out of disk space. cPanel has limits that can't be over-ridden.
Wordpress is a lot more mature than it was 5 years ago, themes are flexible, widgets have improved. Security is greatly improved. Better for the domainer than Joomla! if they have little software skills.

Overall I still prefer Joomla!, but Wordpress is more accessible , more secure and has a better updating system.

Anytime I find myself doing something 12,000 times, I think about how I might save myself time by automating that process. Why not build a site generator?

Maybe the answer is someone is paying you $X for each site you develop and you'd be coding yourself out of a paycheck.

•••
softaculous.com/apps/

capterra.com/categories

cmsmatrix.org

•••
Anytime I find myself doing something 12,000 times, I think about how I might save myself time by automating that process. Why not build a site generator?

Maybe the answer is someone is paying you $X for each site you develop and you'd be coding yourself out of a paycheck.
How would you go about creating a Wordpress web site generator?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
How would you go about creating a Wordpress web site generator?

I would Google 'wordpress site generator' and look for technical discussion of it on Stackoverflow and similar sites and go from there. I can't imagine it's that difficult. Probably you write a script and hook it up to a form/admin area and behind the scenes WP is being installed with the info you provide when you click submit.

If I had 12,000 of them, I'd certainly want to control them all in one place, not have 12,000 separate logins. Wiring that part up may not be a trivial task but it'd be a huge time saver in the end, I'd think.

•••
'I'd google it' is not meant to be a flippant response. That's actually what I would do. Google is the start to most technical problems.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Clone site is another option!

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back