Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Seatory

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I would just like to introduce myself, as the latest newbie! My name is Michael and I live in the UK.
I currently work full time in a factory and have no/ very little experience when it comes to domaining, or anything much else online!
A few months back I decided to change this! I purchased my first domain, solely for the purpose of building my own eccommerce website. Selling... Hoverboards! (Yes the ones that blow up and don't actually hover!)

I really thought I was onto something... I was right right, for a while... Within a few weeks of ordering my first lot of stock, they started to become really popular. My stock arrived, within a day or two they were made illegal to ride in the UK. Hmmm... Trying to remain positive I continued to throw all my energy into getting the business up and running. Within 1 month of being online and one expensive adwords campaign later. The sales started to come thick and fast.

Over Cyber weekend I did over 20k in sales. I was really quite proud and excited for the future. Then they Really Blew Up! Literally. (Thankfully none of mine) I became inundated with messages from customers wishing to return their boards or asking for me to verify their safety. I had done all I can when choosing a supplier to ensure I was ordering what I believed were the best quality, safest boards available. I had untold certification, things like CE certificates and MSDS Reports. However after receiving advice from trading standards and further research into the product, I decided they just wern't worth the hassle. T

he last thing I wanted on my conscience was selling a product that was a fire risk. I stopped sales of the product just before Christmas and I am still sitting on some stock. I have had many customers have mechanical problems with the boards they purchased from me. So much so I have now decided to move into the hoverboard repairs business and plan on using the last of my stock as spare parts for repairs. I bought another domain to build my new business on (currently working on) and a few variations as I couldn't decide on a name. And thats where it all started.....

So after settling on my new name I started to research what could I do with the others I had purchased and now no longer had any use for. Like I said that is where it started...Instead of selling the domains I had no use for I decided I could also become a part time domainer!

I fell into the newbie trap! And started going crazy! Hand registered a fair few domains, Found out about domain age, Joined Godaddy auctions, went a bit more crazy and registered a load of expiring domains, Found out about the Chinese Market. Thought I had struck gold registering a load of random 5 LLLLL.coms. To do some more research to realise most of what I had in my portfolio so far was garbage. So I retaliated, determined to make up for my mistakes.

I registered a load more domains convincing myself these were great ones that would make up for all my previous errors. Even they wouldn't be too bad, surely? Thinking to myself I've got a year with these names surely I should be able to get my money back or close to it. Even for the worst ones? Im starting to think probably not. And I may need to take a good few losses and probably drop a good number instead of renewing when the year expires and they remain unsold. However I am still optimistic that I can see some positive results with some of my portfolio.

So here I am today around 200 domains in. And I want to start selling. I have registered on Flippa and have submitted a few domains to their broker team also 20 domains to BrandBucket, still waiting on a response from either of these companies. Trying to gage whether any of my domains have any decent value. I have a few with good domain age or high estibot value (low $xxxx) Which is high for me considering I have only paid between $15-$25 per domain. However I have read on the forums that Estibot value means nothing, And I get that. I do though believe that it can have an influence on the price a buyer will pay and see many of the listings on Flippa state the Estibot value. Please do correct me if I am wrong?

Well thats it really, I just wanted to introduce myself, Let you know a bit about myself and to beg for your help!
I would be really grateful for any advice you guys can offer me and I hope to become an active member and share my journey along the way.I have been lurking around for a week or so and thought it would be criminal if I didn't sign up.

Some specific things I could really do with some help with are...

Where is the best place to list domains for sale? I have seen people saying to join multiple sites, Am I correct in saying that you can not list a domain for sale at more that one site?

Do you have experience of selling on Flippa? or BrandBucket? Any advice you can offer me?

How good is the appraisals section on Namepros? Would you recommend listing my domains there to ask for opinions or Not? and why?

Can you give me a general idea on how your time is spent as a domainer? what are the key tasks? Do you have a routine? How should I be spending my time? most effective ways of promoting your domain listings and finding buyers?

Any other tips and advice you can offer? Maybe don't write soo much next time?
Anyone who has read this, Thank You! And I look forward to your replies.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to NamePros Michael :)

1. Check NameBio.com to see how much similar domains sell for.
2. List your domains with a low bin (buy it now) price at Godaddy. List the .com domains as premium.

Hi SilentG,
Thanks for the tips. Could you give some examples of low or premium bin prices using these names...
PrizePuppy.com BootyCream.com BeefWings.com
If you think they are all low $$ please say. When you say list .coms as premium listings, would low $$$ be fair for these domains?

•••
Welcome to namepros. Those hand regs are too tempting to resist. Its dues most of us have to pay. But I`d say hold fire for now, read and read some more through the threads before you add to what you have now. Best

•••
Welcome to namepros. Those hand regs are too tempting to resist. Its a due most of us have to pay. But I`d say hold fire for now, read and read some more through the threads before you add to what you have now. Best

Many Thanks, that is certainly the plan for now.

•••
Welcome to the namepros forum.

•••
Hi, I would just like to introduce myself, as the latest newbie! My name is Michael and I live in the UK.
I currently work full time in a factory and have no/ very little experience when it comes to domaining, or anything much else online!
A few months back I decided to change this! I purchased my first domain, solely for the purpose of building my own eccommerce website. Selling... Hoverboards! (Yes the ones that blow up and don't actually hover!)

I really thought I was onto something... I was right right, for a while... Within a few weeks of ordering my first lot of stock, they started to become really popular. My stock arrived, within a day or two they were made illegal to ride in the UK. Hmmm... Trying to remain positive I continued to throw all my energy into getting the business up and running. Within 1 month of being online and one expensive adwords campaign later. The sales started to come thick and fast.

Over Cyber weekend I did over 20k in sales. I was really quite proud and excited for the future. Then they Really Blew Up! Literally. (Thankfully none of mine) I became inundated with messages from customers wishing to return their boards or asking for me to verify their safety. I had done all I can when choosing a supplier to ensure I was ordering what I believed were the best quality, safest boards available. I had untold certification, things like CE certificates and MSDS Reports. However after receiving advice from trading standards and further research into the product, I decided they just wern't worth the hassle. T

he last thing I wanted on my conscience was selling a product that was a fire risk. I stopped sales of the product just before Christmas and I am still sitting on some stock. I have had many customers have mechanical problems with the boards they purchased from me. So much so I have now decided to move into the hoverboard repairs business and plan on using the last of my stock as spare parts for repairs. I bought another domain to build my new business on (currently working on) and a few variations as I couldn't decide on a name. And thats where it all started.....

So after settling on my new name I started to research what could I do with the others I had purchased and now no longer had any use for. Like I said that is where it started...Instead of selling the domains I had no use for I decided I could also become a part time domainer!

I fell into the newbie trap! And started going crazy! Hand registered a fair few domains, Found out about domain age, Joined Godaddy auctions, went a bit more crazy and registered a load of expiring domains, Found out about the Chinese Market. Thought I had struck gold registering a load of random 5 LLLLL.coms. To do some more research to realise most of what I had in my portfolio so far was garbage. So I retaliated, determined to make up for my mistakes.

I registered a load more domains convincing myself these were great ones that would make up for all my previous errors. Even they wouldn't be too bad, surely? Thinking to myself I've got a year with these names surely I should be able to get my money back or close to it. Even for the worst ones? Im starting to think probably not. And I may need to take a good few losses and probably drop a good number instead of renewing when the year expires and they remain unsold. However I am still optimistic that I can see some positive results with some of my portfolio.

So here I am today around 200 domains in. And I want to start selling. I have registered on Flippa and have submitted a few domains to their broker team also 20 domains to BrandBucket, still waiting on a response from either of these companies. Trying to gage whether any of my domains have any decent value. I have a few with good domain age or high estibot value (low $xxxx) Which is high for me considering I have only paid between $15-$25 per domain. However I have read on the forums that Estibot value means nothing, And I get that. I do though believe that it can have an influence on the price a buyer will pay and see many of the listings on Flippa state the Estibot value. Please do correct me if I am wrong?

Well thats it really, I just wanted to introduce myself, Let you know a bit about myself and to beg for your help!
I would be really grateful for any advice you guys can offer me and I hope to become an active member and share my journey along the way.I have been lurking around for a week or so and thought it would be criminal if I didn't sign up.

Some specific things I could really do with some help with are...

Where is the best place to list domains for sale? I have seen people saying to join multiple sites, Am I correct in saying that you can not list a domain for sale at more that one site?

Do you have experience of selling on Flippa? or BrandBucket? Any advice you can offer me?

How good is the appraisals section on Namepros? Would you recommend listing my domains there to ask for opinions or Not? and why?

Can you give me a general idea on how your time is spent as a domainer? what are the key tasks? Do you have a routine? How should I be spending my time? most effective ways of promoting your domain listings and finding buyers?

Any other tips and advice you can offer? Maybe don't write soo much next time?
Anyone who has read this, Thank You! And I look forward to your replies.

Welcome aboard! You are at the right place.
Just remember, domaining is also a business that has its own ups and downs. Just be optimistic. Cheers :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Welcome to np Michael, also UK.
Yes, namebio is the best to see where the cash is being spent and by who.
Use domaintools.com for whois
Buy .com if you can
Longterm investment new tlds but keywords that make sense: river.cruise, etc
Quick flip liquid domains lll, nnn.co, etc in com, net, org, Co, cc
Good luck!

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back