NameSilo

Oct 30 - Flippa will enact a limit of one free relist per Domain auction.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
From: http://flippa.com/blog/changes-to-unlimited-free-relisting-for-domains/

At the beginning of this year, we made the commitment to you to offer free relisting for domain auctions. It was great to begin with, so much so that it went from a limited-run promotion to “the norm.” It seemed like a win-win: we dramatically increased our inventory and sellers loved it!

However, like too much of a good thing is prone to do, it’s become clear that offering unlimited free relisting is no longer in the best interest of the marketplace. The results of this weren’t immediately evident, but after some long tail analysis and insightful feedback from all of you, it’s clear that our platform is less effective when it doesn’t cost anything to relist.

This is why, effective on the 30th October 2015 (AEST), Flippa will enact a limit of one free relist per Domain auction. After that, the listing fee is half price of the original listing ($4.50 in most cases).

At any point, you may relist an ended domain auction as a free Portfolio listing, by using the easy link in the Seller Action bar on any listing. As a Portfolio listing, it stays active on the site for an unlimited amount of time and has the ability to accept or reject offers received.

Flippa is committed to maintaining a healthy and fair marketplace to buy and sell domains.

Any questions, queries or comments about this change, please feel free to share here or for more detailed insights into your account, please email [email protected].​

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good thing is we all our happy with this move, I thing soon this thread will/should go in most active this week section

•••
You must mean the mad Russian on top of his car.

Lol! You're so right, man!

I absolutely hate that guy on top of his red car!

•••
Kind of rare for the platform to receive unanimous praise, thanks everyone :)

In all seriousness, this is only the start of some sweeping changes that I can't yet project ETAs on, but just to tease it out a little:

... search and filtering is pretty much useless - how about you let me search for domains: shorter than x, without hyphens or numbers, cheaper than x, exclude free listing, ending in x days, exclude new extensions, etc etc...

Flippa definitely needs to implement more search filters.

Yep, this is our next priority and is coming soon.

I remember when Kevin @FlippaDomains ask for the suggestion last time on Namepros, i suggested him to stop giving free relist it will remove most of the garbage from marketplace.

We're listening to everything, I promise. More to come.

As for the new move, great, although I wouldn't offer the second relist at half price, but at full price.. If it doesn't sell in two tries then it is either a bad domain or the seller has too high expectations.

My personal take is that we may move to step in a bit more, i.e. Reach out to sellers, help them set realistic pricing expectations, or as we're doing already via inquiries to [email protected], just being upfront with sellers if we don't feel the assets are right for auction (and are better-suited for the free / portfolio listing section).

One more thing they should do is, create a separate tab for the classified domains so if any buyer will click on the domains tab then he will only see 1000-2000 domains which are currently in the auction and not 1,613,854 domains.

it will encourage buyers to check all domains which are currently in the auction means more exposure to the auction and more bids.

if that happen then i will only use Flippa to sale my domains

This is already live, via this page: https://flippa.com/domains/all

I agree that it's hard to find, so as mentioned -- we're fixing this (layout / UI) again soon. Will massively improve search and buyers' ability to find all sellers' domains.

When you're on this /domains/all page, click the orange drop down and click "Auctions." This takes care of what you're seeking. [https://flippa.com/domains/auctions]

I also highly suggest -- I keep saying this, but I'm not sure if anyone likes this or not (let me know?) -- to sort by not only the Most Active / Reserve Met filters, but also ENDING SOON. You can easily sort through the day's (or week's) ending auctions within minutes.

This should improve quality of names listed in auctions !

There should also be less domains listed for auction so more attention on the ones listed.

Related to my thoughts above, in addition to helping steer sellers in the right direction (the only thing holding us back from doing this more is manpower; we are hiring, so that will change for the better) is potentially limiting auctions to qualified assets.

In other words:
- has your domain been receiving scores of offers in the non-auction / portfolio section? (Bring it to auction.)
- Do you have end users lined up and want to have them duke it out? (Bring to auction.)
- Do you have a $5 domain you're looking to get rid of? (Please don't bring to auction.)

We're going to start with design and layout improvements and will analyze from there. Pursuant to the above, we may test this model out in regards to upgrades. Stay tuned.

One other thing -- does this apply to current auctions or only to new auctions first listed after 30th OCT ? I assume it applies to new and old.

It's simply a cut-off time, so if you move to relist anything after the 30th, it will be $4.50.

Some people re-list entire portfolios of 100-s of domains over and over its literally a wall of re-lists and then a few new domains here and there. I was going to suggest a "newly added domains" filter but this is better. I do not mind a re-list or two this is ok IMO.

We are exploring a more robust "Recently Added" / "New" section. Meantime, we have a "Recent" section here.

///
Again, can't wait to show you the changes coming in the near future. If we've done our job, the marketplace should look, operate and work better than it ever has before. ETA to follow.

Thanks everyone...

•••
We are exploring a more robust "Recently Added" / "New" section. Meantime, we have a "Recent" section here.

I thought the "Most recent" was a list of domains recently listed or re-listed. Its the re-listed ones I have a problem with. They take up so much time, It would be great if I could see just the new ones.

•••
That's EXACTLY who I was thinking of.
I unfollowed all of his auctions and no longer bid on any of them.

You must mean the mad Russian on top of his car.

•••
It's simply a cut-off time, so if you move to relist anything after the 30th, it will be $4.50.

@FlippaDomains,

Does this apply only to new listings or also to listings already purchased before this announcement?

I purchased my listing due to unlimited free relisting so I hope Flippa is not going back on this for existing listings, and this is only for new purchases?

Kevin, can you please clarify. Thanks.

•••
@FlippaDomains,

Does this apply only to new listings or also to listings already purchased before this announcement?

I purchased my listing due to unlimited free relisting so I hope Flippa is not going back on this for existing listings, and this is only for new purchases?

Kevin, can you please clarify. Thanks.

My understanding is that it will ask for $4.50 at checkout, come the 30th, regardless of when you listed something.

•••
That's EXACTLY who I was thinking of.
I unfollowed all of his auctions and no longer bid on any of them.

The announcement of Flippa removing the free re-listing feature will surely silence this guy.

•••
Removed my domains from flippa, waiting for garbage to wipe out :)

•••
Wasn't this done already?

As for the new move, great, although I wouldn't offer the second relist at half price, but at full price.. If it doesn't sell in two tries then it is either a bad domain or the seller has too high expectations.

Have you thought about the fact that even a super premium domain name can get close to zero exposure in 30 days in Flippa and relists are needed for this reason and not because of unreasonable expectations?

I have listed Courtyards.com there and in 30 days period it gets 10-20 views and bids in $xxx for a name that sold many years ago for over $15,000. Even with "no reserve" auction it wouldn't sell for an ok price because of that.

I have given up myself on buying on Flippa because of the time it requires to find a decent name going through tons and tons of garbage.

•••
You, the seller, are responsible for getting exposure to your auction either by buying upgrades or advertising the auction in any other way.. If you think that you can just pay $9 and make $xx,xxx sales then you are wrong. Don't get me wrong, I hope you, but that is not how things work here..

Have you thought about the fact that even a super premium domain name can get close to zero exposure in 30 days in Flippa and relists are needed for this reason and not because of unreasonable expectations?

I have listed Courtyards.com there and in 30 days period it gets 10-20 views and bids in $xxx for a name that sold many years ago for over $15,000. Even with "no reserve" auction it wouldn't sell for an ok price because of that.

I have given up myself on buying on Flippa because of the time it requires to find a decent name going through tons and tons of garbage.

•••
You, the seller, are responsible for getting exposure to your auction either by buying upgrades or advertising the auction in any other way.. If you think that you can just pay $9 and make $xx,xxx sales then you are wrong. Don't get me wrong, I hope you, but that is not how things work here..

I have tried the promo, their ultimate package for few hundred bucks, and each view turned out to cost me about a $1 and overall result was minimum bids reaching about 5% of paid appraisal value made by domainappraisal.org guys that I also attached to the listing. I am using the platform to get the exposure worth what I am paying for. Paying $9 to get 20 views for a premium one word .com at about $0.5/view is meaningless.

And, I do disagree that it is the seller's sole responsibility to provide exposure. Otherwise, sellers just should choose the cheapest possible platform with the minimum listing fee an minimum commission and then just work on attracting buyers themselves there.

•••
November2015: Make Flippa Great Again
November2016: Make America Great Again :xf.grin:

I own the .COM version of the second date; intending to close the sale at Flippa in the earlier date :xf.smile:

Seriously, great news that "most recent" button is not going to be a mere decorate any more

Last edited:
•••
After reading Shane's post a few weeks ago about Flippa, I refuse to use Flippa.

imo... one can (should) refuse to pay the outrageous auction fees, especially the 9$ auction that gives you 5 views average in 15 days.. but to refuse to use their basic buynow/make offer listings with best in business 5% sale fee.. is just a bad idea imo

•••
imo... one can (should) refuse to pay the outrageous auction fees, especially the 9$ auction that gives you 5 views average in 15 days.. but to refuse to use their basic buynow/make offer listings with best in business 5% sale fee.. is just a bad idea imo

It's 10%.

•••
I started with Flippa and now I just refuse to list on Flippa. The traffic just isn't there, if you don't pay for any upgrades you get 10 views max for a 7 day period.

•••
It's 10%.

now there is another nice thing to say about flippa then! its admins will not hesistate to set truth straight even if to their slight disadvatage. bravo!

still best in biz final fee rate though ;)

•••
I agree, Kevin is great. His personality is what is keeping me so far with them.

I have received multiple offers for other platforms with much less commission, but so far have not decided to test them. So, no, Flippa's success rates are not the lowest.

•••
I don't have great domains for sale so I don't expect god knows what.. however, when I list auction for $9 on flippa and end up with 5 views in 15 days, imo this speaks of a greater problem than just one of my domain "not being of highest quality".

•••
I don't have great domains for sale so I don't expect god knows what.. however, when I list auction for $9 on flippa and end up with 5 views in 15 days, imo this speaks of a greater problem than just one of my domain "not being of highest quality".

While I'd agree we need to overhaul some things that will help even less-than-great domains be seen better (hint: we're working on this AND a change to upgrades), I also would beg to differ a bit, seeing as many great assets that are listed without upgrades still sell. If you're unsure whether to invest in an upgrade, we're urging you to then upload to your Flippa Portfolio to await offers. If you receive an offer from a buyer, chances are it would do well (or at least better) at auction.

•••
While I'd agree we need to overhaul some things that will help even less-than-great domains be seen better (hint: we're working on this AND a change to upgrades), I also would beg to differ a bit, seeing as many great assets that are listed without upgrades still sell. If you're unsure whether to invest in an upgrade, we're urging you to then upload to your Flippa Portfolio to await offers. If you receive an offer from a buyer, chances are it would do well (or at least better) at auction.

i agree. your free bestoffer catalogue is great. domaining is all about exposure. so everyone should list there.

well.. I am not sure what to think of this any more. maybe you are right. maybe getting 5 views in 15 days means one's domain deserves no more than this, and is simply put, worthless.

I guess diferent people will have different opinions on this. some will say it's a probem with flippa, others its a problem of domain quality. I might as well just stay neutral on that one then.

•••
i agree. your free bestoffer catalogue is great. domaining is all about exposure. so everyone should list there.

well.. I am not sure what to think of this any more. maybe you are right. maybe getting 5 views in 15 days means one's domain deserves no more than this, and is simply put, worthless.

I guess diferent people will have different opinions on this. some will say it's a probem with flippa, others its a problem of domain quality. I might as well just stay neutral on that one then.

Did your name fit the niches that do particularly well on flippa? If you check past sales, you'll see patterns. And the buyers there often seem to search for certain keywords, extensions, and domain lengths. For maximum exposure from search alone, your name will likely have to fit into what buyers on there typically look for.

I recently sold two 5L.com's on there because I saw a pattern of a bunch of those getting bids, and if you look at the search filters, domain length is a prominent one. In addition to posting them in my signature on here, I was able to get hundreds of views and they both sold within the normal thresholds you see on flippa.

When I've tested domains outside of those tried and true types that seem to do well on there, I've gotten very little traffic and interest. So keep in mind that you need to list the right domains for the marketplace if you want to sell without promotions.

•••
FlippaDomains,
The point is how much exposure is platform itself providing.
Many sellers are capable of attracting their own traffic to their auction via NP, forwarding their domain, blogs, social media etc., but they also want to know their " bang for the buck" from the exposure at flippa they are paying for. I have, for example, chosen to test first without doing any additional promo of my own. The ultimate package at $349 resulted in under 100 views, simple $9 payment resulted in 10-20 views at best for very good quality names. So effective pay per view (not bid, not watching, just plain view) was in $1-$4 range which is a lot! So you either have to increase the efficiency of exposure at your platform or reduce your promo prices to adequate levels.

That said, you still are better than your two main competitors for most things. Sedo is beyond even commenting with their attitude and backwardness, as well as charging for considering for auction. Once they rejected one of domains as not good enough for their premium auction event, where they have a lot of junk, and that killer one word .org received two offers around $45K and sold via email. And Godaddy commission of 20% is nuts, while their customer service and search convenience is great.

•••

No, certainly not. It is no indicator of worthlessness. ydeo.com that I have listed there at an auction has 6 views in 4 days so far. 1Post.com+OnePost.com (Alexa 8M with no promotion) combo has 6 views in a week.

•••
Wow, just found out about the end of Flippa's free listing.

GREAT MOVE!

This will improve the quality of the marketplace, better quality would HOPEFULLY draw in more serious buyers and OVERALL it should have a POSITIVE effect for both BUYER/SELLERS.

NEXT PHASE : AMP UP THE SEARCH FILTERS!

Right now the RESERVE MET and ENDING SOON filter are the key filters, but its time to incorporate the NO RESERVE filter, along with RECENTLY ADDED!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back