Domain Empire

PLEASE READ : Scam Watch

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Amdins and Mods, Not sure if its in the right place but.

Don’t be caught out!

Picture the scene:- You are sitting at home and there is a knock at the door. On answering it you are confronted by a respectable looking woman in a suit, who is slightly distressed. She explains that her car has broken down further down the road and she needs to contact her husband to come to her aid. It is at all possible to use your phone to call him?

You allow her to use the phone, but being the suspicious type you stand with her as she makes the call. She dials the number, and asks to be put through to Mr Smith/Brown/Stevens (whatever).

She holds the line for thirty seconds. She continues “in that case can you ask him to leave the meeting for a minute I need to speak to him quite urgently.” She apologies again and explains they are getting him out of a meeting. A couple of minutes goes by and she starts to speak to her husband.

She explains the situation to him, tells him what has happened to the car, is annoyed because she now can’t get to her meeting, and asks what she should do now. She listens for a few seconds and then says, “Well as soon as the meeting finishes can you come to Cardiff Road / Leicester Road / Surry Street (Whatever), where the car has broken down.

Another few seconds go by, “OK, I’ll see you in about twenty minutes then” She puts the phone down, and thanks you ever so much for your kind assistance, even offering you a pound for your trouble, but of course you decline, it’s no trouble.

She leaves and everything is fine. Or is it?

The day or week before knocking on your door she set up her own premium rate line with a telephone company at the cost of about £150, and she has dictated the calls to that number be charged £50 per minute. She has dialled that number. The conversation she has had with her “husband” is entirely fictitious, there is a pre-recorded voice message on the other end to give you impression she is talking to someone. She has been on the phone for about 5 minutes, that call just cost you £250, the majority if which goes into her pocket, and the first you know about it is when you get your bill a month later.

To rub a bit of salt into the wound, she hasn’t even committed a criminal offence. You’ve given her permission to use your phone.

There has been 5 occasions in Luton where this has been reported in the last couple of weeks. And spreading.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wow i have to say that that is pretty clever. definitely a scam that i havent heard of yet. thanks for looking out.

•••
It's ok. I like helping people. :)

•••
holy [s...] that is so cruel, taking advantage of people :\

its definetly gonna go sour on the nicer people who like to help people out

•••
:lol:
That's one clever scam. If it's working, it's going to start spreading in next to no time.

•••
damn, that's a clever scam. thanks for the heads up

•••
After researching this scam a bit more, I found this:

"A £50 per minute premium rate (similar to pay-per-call 1-900-numbers in the U.S.) tariff does not exist - the highest tariff available is £1.50 per minute.

Undoubtedly, they can't scam you for too much money within a five-minute timeframe. Furthermore, if you sent a complaint to the phone service that is allowing them to do this, they should supsend or terminate their account to mantain their own reputation.

•••
Hooray! Someone actually researched the call rates. Good call (no pun intended). ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back