IT.COM

Relevance vs. High CPC?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed that my site displays a lot of stock trading/investing ads. However, my site isn't about trading or investing. I'm assuming these ads are appearing because of the word "trading" in the URL.

In actuality, my site is a very popular resource for exchanging textures for a popular PC game.

Will I make more if I keep the finance/investing ads since they're known to pay very well, or should I block the Finance category from Google and only show ads related to the subject matter?

Thanks!
Steve

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Best way to find out is to try it for a couple of weeks and compare the results. (Any chance they're interest-based ads that are aimed at you?)

My gut feeling is IF they're mis-targeted, blocking them and trying to improve targeting would be better. High CPC is only good if people are interested enough to click. Even then, if they click out of idle curiousity and the ads on your site don't convert for the advertisers (and you can assume ALL those companies are using conversion tracking and monitoring their campaigns closely), you won't KEEP that high CPC for long. (If you convert poorly, ad space throughout your account will be discounted for advertisers, AND if the advertisers notice your site isn't relevant many of them will block it.)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back