Dynadot

question Two huge trademarks in one name - what happens?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Ridiculous question, but I thought it could still be interesting to ponder.

In theory someone could register GoogleFacebook.com or MicrosoftYoutube.com (or similar names) which contain two well known trademarks.

How might it play out if a UDRP were brought for such a name or another dispute. Does the registry have the ability to cancel such names so that they can never be registered.

Would Microsoft be able to keep the domain MicrosoftYoutube.com, would Facebook get to keep GoogleFacebook.com as protection?

Is there precedent for decisions over such names?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A registrar may not mind you wasting your money for registering a domain you can never sell or use safely (I wouldn't know, haven't tried). However, it is probable they decline the transaction, mentioning the trademark infringement

I remember the case of an Argentinian somehow buying the "Google" version in Argentina....the registrar obviously recognised this error, then swiftly took it from. You're simply wasting your time being cute (and money). IMO

Last edited:
•••
Can you register GoDaddyGoDaddyGodaddy.com at Godaddy? Why not, they will take your money and they should if you want to play games.

•••
Can you register GoDaddyGoDaddyGodaddy.com at Godaddy? Why not, they will take your money and they should if you want to play games.
That's just one trademark though

•••
Only people from stu**d would register such domains. :ROFL:

•••
•••
I have seen it happen and also claim that the traffic from one of the real sites claiming theirs on fiverr. I bought it for a fiverr as referral link paid for it just to hang out for my hits which never came then reported to both sites as well as fiverr. Was a few years ago now but remembering it all again now thinking about it as annoyed me wanted to bust bs seller.

Last edited:
•••
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that you or I should register such names, but I'm eluding more to the fact that multiple parties have interests in one domain but it can only be owned by one corporation or in one account, technically. So who can own such a name as FacebookMicrosoft.com...? Facebook? Microsoft? Would they face litigation from the other?

It seems logical for the registry to take them out of circulation because they're worthless and a potential liability.

Seems like an impossible problem to solve, because one could just register facebookmicrosoft1.com etc so it's a never ending problem without registry intervention.

•••
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that you or I should register such names, but I'm eluding more to the fact that multiple parties have interests in one domain but it can only be owned by one corporation or in one account, technically. So who can own such a name as FacebookMicrosoft.com...? Facebook? Microsoft? Would they face litigation from the other?

It seems logical for the registry to take them out of circulation because they're worthless and a potential liability.

Seems like an impossible problem to solve, because one could just register facebookmicrosoft1.com etc so it's a never ending problem without registry intervention.

I don't think Facebook is gonna have an interest in using domain FacebookMicrosoft.com, but they will be having interest of you not using it. Probably, they will send you ''cease and desist'' letter with a clear intention of you removing the live URL.

As for registration of such names I don't think it's up for registrar to decide. Because if it was the case - what would be the criterias for such decisions from the registrar's side? Big names? (what is ''big'' then?). Big companies with trademark names? Any company with a trademark name? etc.
I also think registrar is just gonna take your money and register all, letting you handling the dispute later (or removing it if it's in their policy, upon receiving the ''cease and desist''...)

Last edited:
•••
I wonder what would happen if Microsoft owned FacebookMicrosoft.com and claimed it was brand protection. I wouldn't think that Facebook could get that name from them. Or could they?

•••
I wonder what would happen if Microsoft owned FacebookMicrosoft.com and claimed it was brand protection. I wouldn't think that Facebook could get that name from them. Or could they?

Well, again, even hypothetically, but I don't think it will be about ''getting the name'' from another party, but about that other party not using it.
Facebook simply wouldn't want Microsoft using such a name, same thing for Microsoft. That's why you won't see such names online.

But, hey, maybe it makes sense to conduct an experiment, and tell us the result. I would be curious, indeed.

•••
But, hey, maybe it makes sense to conduct an experiment, and tell us the result. I would be curious, indeed.
Haha. I'll get onto Microsoft now and see if they can conduct the experiment.

•••
Haha. I'll get onto Microsoft now and see if they can conduct the experiment.

No, no, - you ))) And see whoever comes faster - Microsoft or Facebook and a reaction. But at the end you are only risking 8.50 for name, that's it.

•••
No, no, - you ))) And see whoever comes faster - Microsoft or Facebook and a reaction. But at the end you are only risking 8.50 for name, that's it.
Haha well I know who would win me Vs Microsoft or Facebook, but what if Microsoft bought it? It's like it could cause some legal standoff.

•••
Haha well I know who would win me Vs Microsoft or Facebook, but what if Microsoft bought it? It's like it could cause some legal standoff.

Well, that would the another option: put a $10000 price tag on this name, and contact both Microsoft and Facebook to compete for it :ROFL: Do a proper auction.

•••
Lol this is turning into a bit of a comedy skit.

If Microsoft bought MicrosoftFacebook.com... what happens if Facebook try to UDRP it?

•••
what about mastervisa.net

•••
what about mastervisa.net
Same deal. If we have two trademarks in one domain what happens. Assuming mastercardvisa.com... Mastercard keep it unused? Will Visa be happy with that as an outcome?

•••
Same deal. If we have two trademarks in one domain what happens. Assuming mastercardvisa.com... Mastercard keep it unused? Will Visa be happy with that as an outcome?
I don't know this domain, I bought it before. I was didn't know anything about trademarks. i think but not sure Visa or Master without card, they are not trademarks because
when the domain name is Visacard, it will be a trademark, either Visa or Master without adding a card. It is a word that has meaning and can be used for something else.

Can I reserve a trademark, for example, in the name (nice) and then ban anyone from using this word in a domain? (nice) is a general and common word that can be used in more than one sense, as well as Visa or Master!
Visa can be used for travel niche or issuance of residence and others. Not only in the payment niche or cards
And also a master that you can use in more than one niche. Such as study or experience and others.
Of course, I'm not sure, but I see that the logic says so

•••
But what if you registered NFTMetaGoogleFacebookYahooMSNCNNApple.xyz ?

Last edited:
•••
But what if you registered NFTMetaGoogleFacebookYahooMSNCNNApple.xyz ?
Exactly. If CNN owned that name as a defensive registration, how does the mediation work when Facebook inevitably come knocking even if it is completely pointless.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back